Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Carelessness almost cost me today! >

Carelessness almost cost me today!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Carelessness almost cost me today!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Carelessness almost cost me today!

What a dummy........I preach it all the time, "Attention to detail", "know your equipment" etc etc, and a lack of concentration almost cost me my 3D league title, a trip to the hospital and maybe even injuring another person.

Today was Week 15 of my outdoor winter 3D league, The final week and this shoot would decide the overall "Open" class title between me an one other good shooter in the league. A few points separated us for the overall crown but I needed to put on a good showing today to secure it.

Almost didn't happen. While warming up this morning at the practice buttsand talking with the regulars I was rattling arrows together pretty good, busted 2 nocks and at the 40 yard bag I really hit one hard........my pin nock was gone and the bushing was just crushed in the center.
So I pulled the bushing (I don't glue them so I can change damaged bushings) and replaced it with a fresh one and a new pin nock.

I FORGOT TO CHECK THE SHAFT.[&o]The very next shot was with that same arrow and it absolutely exploded at release. Pieces went everywhere in every direction and with some serious force. I was EXTREMELY EXTREMELY lucky that rather than winning a league title I wasn't going for surgery. I pulled a 3" sliver of carbon out of the cuff of my long sleeve shirt somehow missing my skin, and the back fletched portion of the arrow whistled over my knuckles. I was very close to being a gruesome internet picture.

Picture one is the damage to my bow and arrow rest.....notice how hard a portion of the arrow hit the corner of my Limbdriver rest. IT BLEW THE ENTIRE CORNER CLEAN OFF. [:-]It also smacked up the finish on the riser leaving a gold streak down the shelf where the arrow label skidded down the face.

Picture 2 is of the arrow itself........at least what we could find of it. There were at least a dozen people on the line with me and that is all we could find of the exploded arrow.

And picture 3 is just anice picture of the title winning 3D rig.
I shoot fixed pins IBO scoring in the Open class against some very good scope shooters to 45yds+ so I am pretty proud of that. This league is a grind for 15 weeks in all weather.
I held it together shooting a 309 w/ 15x'sto secure the overall league title for the 3rd straight year. But I was very fortunate that I'm not having surgery right now. I was also pretty rattled for the first 6-8 targets while the adrenaline wore off.

Moral of the story is USE SOME COMMON SENSE. I didn't do that today and it could have been very ugly. I endangered myself and the people around me and I got away with one. IF you are shooting groups and hitting arrows ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS inspect the ones that got hit.......look beyond the nock or bushing.
I am guilty of not doing it everytime and I could have paid the price.

That won't happen anymore.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Carelessness alost cost me today!

Glad you came out OK. I guarentee you'll check them now.

I'm guilty of the same thing though, I group all the time but only seriously check if they hit pretty hard.

The arrow I'm shooting, I've been shooting for 3 weeks now, and it "might" have gotten it's third win in a row. It might be another one to write on the fletchings
Old 03-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you and everyone else is alright. Hopefully it helps someone to avoid a trip to the hospital in the future.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where is picture three!! Glad you and everyone else are ok Matt!! I think i will look my arrows over a little better as well from now on!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:45 PM

i am proud to know that no one got hurt and congrats on your win.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOOOOOOW, what a story. Sure glad you were able to type this story to remind everyone about checking their arrows. Mobow had a thread earlier this week about the exact same thing.

We had some arrow slapping on our shoot today also. I gave mine a quick check, but probably shudda done a better job myself. I will now.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lucky indeed buddy and a huge congratulations on your victory.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

And you know better big guy. Glad you or no one else was hurt, and congrats on the 3D crown .
Old 03-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt-Congrats on the victory and for being humble enough to share a mistake you made that could have had disastrous results. I hope everyone who reads this will take the time to be more careful. Thanks you for posting this.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good reminder and Congrats on your title!!

But I see the only reason you shoot as good as you do is because if you miss in the yard the arrow is going in the drink[:-]!

Quick Reply: Carelessness almost cost me today!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.