Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String Jumping?

Old 03-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default String Jumping?

I have never had this happen to me. However, I have heard several stories of it happening to other guyshow do I best avoid this???
Old 03-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: String Jumping?

The biggest thing is to shoot deer that are completely relaxed,if they are not relaxed,aim for the heart.

I forgot this simple rule last year and it cost me.

I had a doe at 12 yards and I HAD to stop her because of shooting lanes and cover.She was looking dead at me and as soon as I released,she ducked to run,I had never had this happen before but I KNEW I should be aiming for heart in this situation.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:24 PM
N2D

I have never had this happen as well. However, last year while up in stand I heard something from behind. As I truned to look, it was a big ole doe that was tracking me in the ditch I walked in on. She knew something was up. As she cautiously walked by I let out a light "Baaaab" to stop her. When I did, she instantly jumped up about 3 feet in the air and about 10 feet forward in one bound. There is no doubt that this ole gal would have jumped the string. As TFOX said, is best to shoot when they are completely relaxed.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

2006, my first year, mid season first legal buck i saw from stand came by trotting/quick walk...buddies knew i was hunting and where i was and thought it would be a good idea to squirrel hunt the next farm over and "try to send the deer my way" only 2 of them..but it was enough to send the deer my way thats for sure.

i put legal points on his head and knew he wasnt anything id pass up...heading right for the last shooting lane..i was already standing, bow in my hand ready to roll because i had does come into the setup..head towards where the buck came from, then they came back a minute later and the buck was a half a minute behind...

i hit full draw, he hit the last lane..20yd shot.."BAH" he froze and my arrow was loose..sent it straight for the center of his chest..i was in a stand, but he was on the hillside and closer to my height than normal(hunting a saddle) watched the arrow flying perfect...right where i wanted it to go...right in the center of his lungs...right as the arrow was about to make contact, he dropped to bolt...i couldnt believe my eyes. had no idea what kinda hit i was dealing with. lighted nock went out..i thought i still smoked him and had a pass through. watched him run off hard...

i knew he was dead or it was going to be a high hit with nothing at the end of the trail...called the buddies, ran to the store for a pop and to calm down and met up with 2 buddies to help me track. dark fell and we took up the track...an hour-hour and a half after the hit. 10yds from the hit i found my arrow..couple inches of blood and 2-3 inches of shaft and the muzzy were gone...the light blew out of the nock and was never found...400yds of pin drops and 4hrs later found us with the trail lost for good...searched an hour or 2 and never picked it up..rain came and we called it a night...

i gathered everyone i knew..we searched for hours the next day searching for the body. covered every nook and crany...no buck. i almost put my bow up for sale..i was sick.

lesson learned...dont shoot alert deer...

tfox is right on...aim for the heart if they are even remotely alert...
Old 03-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never had it happen till this year. I tend to avoid those situations of alert deer and shooting at them but this year my lil bro shot his first deer with his bow one night a small doe, but we were only on stand for 15 minutes. So I decided to sit the night yet ad try and shoot another with him. Anyways a bunch more does came out and picked out the biggest doe, one I had had in my sights before but she was very old and smart. She go to 20 yards where my bros doe was when he shot her and my big doe flipped out and ran off, then came back to check it out and again. When she came back the third time I thought sh had settle down enough and figure I could punch it through her at the 17 yards she was no problem. I wa wrong, waited till she wasnt lookin drew and let er fly, her belly almost hit the ground and and she completely ducked it with only one blade cutting the top of her back. I couldn't beleiveshe ducked it at less than 20yards like she did..but I got that monster doe in the late season doe hunt. WCL
Old 03-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess aiming for the heart even if they duck it will still be a high lung shot.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep...aim for the heart on an "alert deer"....

Just don't aim too low[8D] leave yourself an inch above the heart.

I think a bow at 260 fps + at 20 yards should still get you close on an alert deer though...

Good Luck
Old 03-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate when that happens!
I've had two deer in 13 years jump the string...
This past opening day 2007 nice 8 pointer, bleated to stop him and when I shot his belly hit the leaves.
One jumped and just walked away like nothing happened walked slowly away unalert about 40 yards, quickly lokked back and continued as is nothing happened, my jaw dropped - ugg!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

aim for the heart......if the deer ducks.....itll still hit the lungs......ie aim low in the vital zone and either way you'll make a kill shot.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

I guess aiming for the heart even if they duck it will still be a high lung shot.
Yep,

The center lung shot is preferable because the hit/miss margin is greater but when they are alert and usually close,they will drop to put the arrow where it needs to be.

Quick Reply: String Jumping?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.