Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dumbest thing you've done in the deer woods >

Dumbest thing you've done in the deer woods

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dumbest thing you've done in the deer woods

Old 03-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dumbest thing you've done in the deer woods

ORIGINAL: waiting_for_a_gift

Ran over my bow. Layed it down when I got to my vehicle, climbed behind the wheel just to rest, forgot about the bow and took off. I dusted it off, and it was ok. Bent my sights and a few arrows, but otherwise ok.

Was hunting a bucks only area once (landowner's call), a doe comes running in, I decide to stop her just for practice. It works perfect but then she spooks, and there was a buck behind her that then went around me. What was I thinking?
Ouch! You just jogged a bad memory loose...
Laid my bow on the ground to take off my scentloc suit, got in the truk and drove away.
2 hours later I remembered I left my $800 bow on the ground and went back to get it.
Well you guessed it, it was gone!
After 3-weeks of going crazy calling the game warden, police, pawn shops, I even posted a $100 reward on a tree at my parking spot.
I then broke down and spent another $800 for a new bow, by this point my wife was lovingme, really loving me.
Sighted it in and went back out hunting and bumped into a guy who had found it, so I dished out the $100 reward and now had two bows.
Sold the older bow for $200 (-$100 reward, so I got $100 for it).
The stories not so bad, as I'm still married though!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was about 1/2 mile away from my 4 wheeler when I looked down at my bow and saw that I forgotmy quiver. It was a fun walk back in eighty degree temps. So much was getting in the stand early.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hung stands in July and got about three hunded deer tics stuck to me. had to get a shot because it had my blood pressure all screwed up. my wife was not to thrilled picking them off my backside either ne'ked!!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was actually turkey hunting not deer hunting and i was using an old farm truck to get around. The gas gauge dosen't work so i was driving across this feild and the damn thing ran out of gas. I had 0 bars on my cell phone so i had to walk a 1/2 mile to the neighbors house and call my dad.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

the worst thing i've recently been doing is listening to my dad in the woods. Few examples for you guys.(keep in mind that my dad, my uncle, and my grandpa have been hunting together since my dad & uncle could carry a gun.)

1. last year my dad was leading the way to his ground blind about 1:00 prior to sunlight. he turned the wrong way and we ended up in a thicket (my GF was with us and this was her 1st time out ever) we stopped and my dad told me that we should probably head North thinking we were on the wrong ridge. I rechecked my compass and headed South and found his blind. luckily for him he wasn't out of sight. I flagged him down with a flashlight

2. a couple years ago i turned 14. for a christmas/birthday present my dad bought me a much anticipated 1st firearm. I was extremely excited. it's a Moss 385-T 20ga. bolt-action. It's a nice gun However it has a full choke. and a smooth bore. We went to the range and it seemed to shoot slugs fine at 30m. I have killed one doe with it using a slugand that was a few years ago. The past couple years i've missed ridiculously easy shots with that gun. 3 @ 15yds running/1 @ 15ydsbroadside standing / and 1 @ 20 yds standing broadsidefrom kneeling position.

people told me it was "The fever" and I believed them up until last year.(when i missed those twobroadside shots)I talked to some old men (that i trust) and they said that the choke was probably throwing off my slug and messing up the choke in my gun. i had noticed some barrel corosion and was suspecting that but it was a used gun so i asked anyhow. A couple freinds and I went shooting and itested it with 3BK buckshot on some 2L bottles at about 50yds. I'm much more confident now.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

One morning my brother(chipper1) and I were walking out of the woods and notices some smoke coming out of the wetground. We both were standing over this smoke, sniffing it, but it had no smell. Come to find out there are a couple of oil wells where we hunt and the power line going to them had gone to ground just a few feet from where were. Sad thing is, he works for the phone company and I work at a power plant and we both should have known better.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

woke up late, started up my stand, got 1/3 of the way up, turned around and saw a 150 inch deer lookin at me, he smiled at me and trotted of, not a regular trot, the kind that means ha ha ha i got you didn't I.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

In lower Michigan I have chances at 120 - 140's...(rare occassions though)...In the thumb of Michigan where I hunt we have 115s - 130s.....Only on rare occasions though...tons of doe and small bucks...

SO I'm in the Thumb of Michigan hunting my 500 acre piece...in 2003 which would put me at 17 years of hunting this spot..I had taken 60 + deer or so in this spot but only 2 I put on the wall....

Its just a normal morning...Its 9AM on Oct. 28th....And my knees are aching and I can't stand it anymore...I slowly stand up from my stand....and I have this weird sensation take over my body...AN INSTINCT Shultzy....

I slowly turn my head and a 140 class 10 pt.. is looking me in the eye....after a few seconds he turns and bolts...I draw and look for a shot and he is gone.......

Have your ever heard that song?...Some guys have all the luck...some guys do nothing but complain....Rod Stewart?

well....I've had to work hard for everything I have in life...including whitetails with calcium on their heads...

And there is no doubt....I can put an arrow in the spot....I just have that luck...and I live in Michigan...the land of...if its brown its down....

But Its the outdoors that brings me back..the sound of a breaking branch...a fox squirrel in your tree...and chickadee on your arrow....this is why I enter the woods...

Old 03-29-2008, 04:02 AM
Fork Horn

A few years back while doghunting--A buddy killed a little rack buck had cut his throat and drug him to the road-the buck moved a little so he stepped on one side of therack to hold him down--I got there a few minutes later stood around for a few more then told him to move his foot so we could see the rack and take some pics. I was standing behind the buck about 10 feet when all of sudden he came too turned and ran straight at me,I shoved his head down and he ran between my legs--That wasn't the stupid part the stupid part wasI clamped my legs shut as he ran through--Now I'mabout 6'2"and a big boy but that buck had no problem toting me about 20 ft backwards before I got smart an turned loose--I look back now and relize how close I came from bad injury or even death--I'm so glad the "GOOD LORD TAKES CARE OF STUPID PEOPLE"
Old 03-29-2008, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

Not bowhunting related, I was muzzleloader hunting in Kentucky in Dec of 06. I had not been successful with the muzzleloader, that still hasn't changed. I had cleaned the gun good a few days before. I had a decent 8 point, big body buck walk out of the woods just 40yrds from me into an open cut bean field. He saw me but just trotted off, no run. I squatted on one knee to get steady and lined up perfect and pulled the trigger. Expecting a pretty good kick, only getting a small poof of smoke I was dazed as he looked back trotting off. I later realized thru conversation with an experienced muzzleloader hunter that after cleaning the barrell, you need to turn the gun muzzle down to let the oil drip out. I did not have powder in the gun when cleaning, but when I did reload the pellets, they soaked up the oil that was waiting in the bottom of the barrell. Painful lesson learned,one I will never forget. To this date, that is the only deer I have pulled the trigger on with the muzzleloader.
chris

Quick Reply: Dumbest thing you've done in the deer woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.