Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maximum Range?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:31 AM

Default RE: Maximum Range?

Last year, I attempted several shots at antelope that were in the 65 to 75 yard range. Several oppotunities came up that were beyond this distance, and I didn't shoot. But considering I didn't fill my tag, I really need to re-visit the logic of slinging arrows in the 65 to 75 yard bracket. Maybe I should limit myself to 60 yards as well.

At the range, under ideal conditions, hitting a pie plate at 70 yards is a high percentage shot. But under field conditions, it appears not nearly so certain.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

25 yds.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will theoretically shoot to 5 yards beyond my last sighted in pin. In practice it would take some specific circumstances to actually use it.

I am confident in my ability to kill game at any range that I have a pin for with a known distance as a given........too many variables to put a limit on max range though sitting in front of a keyboard.

Where a slam dunk might be 60 yards at a standing Elk, a no shoot might be a nervous quartering away buck at 30 in heavy wind? I shoot when my mind and body tell me I can make that shot 100%. Might not always happen but Iam surelynot going to mentally limit myself before I step in the field.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:13 PM

The less yardage the better. The farthest I've ever shot anything under the perfect conditions above was a fairly large reindeer at 39. Given that I wouldn't like to shoot whitetails at anything over 30 and 100% of mine have been under 20.

I'm more impressed by someone who makes the killing shot at 5 yards than the one that does it at 50. (3-D is just the opposite but that's another game altogether...)

Old 03-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

The less yardage the better. The farthest I've ever shot anything under the perfect conditions above was a fairly large reindeer at 39. Given that I wouldn't like to shoot whitetails at anything over 30 and 100% of mine have been under 20.

I'm more impressed by someone who makes the killing shot at 5 yards than the one that does it at 50. (3-D is just the opposite but that's another game altogether...)
Good post!!
Old 03-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

50 yards max if i cant get in that close im having a bad day
Old 03-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

37 yds, 2 feet, 3 5/8 inchesand not a 1/2" farther[8D]

Otherwise I don't know, don't really care.I tend to shoot shots that are rather close.So far in the situations that have been borderline, I've never released an arrow.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Santa must be pissed at you!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

40 yards
Old 03-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

If this season opened tomorrow morning I would be very comfy at about 17 yards with my Longbow, when the season actually does roll in maybe 20 yards with the perfect conditions but NOTHING past that. I don't want to take long shots, its Bowhunting, getting them in as close as possible! I'm not hunting animals where I need to shoot far, some folks are, more power to them! Like I said this season its the Longbow, anything past 20 yards I'm saving for the Flintlock, anything past 70 yards, I'm saving for the shotgun/rifle!!

Quick Reply: Maximum Range?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.