Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how did you become a hunter? >

how did you become a hunter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I was born to hunt
68.89%
I hunt because someone introduced me to the sport
17.78%
I hunt because my friends and family hunt
11.11%
I use hunting as an excuse to get away and relax
2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

how did you become a hunter?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:30 AM

Default RE: how did you become a hunter?

Ever since I can remember!!
Dad got me into fishing - got my first real spinning rod for my 2nd birthday!
When I was a kid the best place to spend time was on my fathers farm. I was probably 4-5 when I chased a chicken on my grandfathers farm till it ran out of breath and dropped dead. We had chicken soop that day for dinner. When I was about 8, Iwould wonder the fields looking for animals (back then I would see quail, phesant, hare, fox, deer,russian boar,back in Poland, out there hunting has a big tradition but you have to be an aprentice for many years, pass tests and finally become a member of the Polish Hunting Society which manages all of the game andforests in the whole country, its kind of like the hunters and DNR combinned)I would make my own bow & arrowsfrom sticks and try for to killahare or quail, almost got one once, but the bows would on shoot for like 10yd. Later on I graduated to a bb gun & slingshootand I would shoot birds, mice, rats. When I came to the US I didn't have anyone to turn to to learn the ropes of hunting so as I got older I would read book and any information I could find, finaly after a few years I got my first gun and had a friend from work take me hunting phesant. A few years later he got rid of his dogs and I started hunting deer. Got 2 first season!! Now I'm still developing my skills, trying to meet fellow huntersand trying to get out into the woods as often as possible, nothing like seeing the woods awake early in the morning!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let's just say that if we were in prehistoric times when people were hunter/gatherers, I would not be a gatherer.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Do you think you were born with the hunting urge?
Many people say that I was born with it but I honestly don't know.
I totally agree ....... I ABSOLUTELY love it!!

Do you think its because of someones influence?
The influence and dedication from my dad and my mom sure didn't hurt. Both my mom and dad bow hunt so its been an everyday thing in my house when I grew up. [/quote]

Same here, - my mom ... she didn't hunt, but she cut 'em up and cooked them for us

How young were you when you realized that you were a hunter?
I knew it was something I wanted to do when I was 3 years old.
[/quote]

As far as I know, I always wanted to hunt ...... I was consumed with it from the time I can remember ...same with fishing ..
Old 03-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

With me and my family its always been a way of life, every thing revolves around hunting and fishing.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:29 AM

Ive had aFIRE and aPASSIONfor it ever since I was about 4 yrs. old so Id say I was born to hunt.

And It burns me up every day!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 12:59 PM

Back in the late sixties and early seventies,I basically had a choice---Sit around and smoke pot and drink beer,or go fishing and hunting.I had two sets of buddies,and thats what was the difference in the two.I'm glad that I went with the latter...Bob
Old 03-29-2008, 07:46 AM

it is in my blood!!!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

My father in law started me in the late 70's pheasant, quail & rabbit hunting. Older brother on deer hunting. Here's a pic. of my wife dogging for her dad.....notice the burrs on the sweatshirt.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I could vote for all of the choices that were in the poll! I was born to hunt, my father introduced me to hunting! I love to be in camp with family and friends to get away from all the everyday grind!
Old 03-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trestand

Back in the late sixties and early seventies,I basically had a choice---Sit around and smoke pot and drink beer,or go fishing and hunting.I had two sets of buddies,and thats what was the difference in the two.I'm glad that I went with the latter...Bob
Thats great. I'm glad you made that choice as well. I hope you share that story with as many young adults as you can.

Quick Reply: how did you become a hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.