HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how did you become a hunter?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Tody_PSE

Default RE: how did you become a hunter?

Ever since I can remember!!
Dad got me into fishing - got my first real spinning rod for my 2nd birthday!
When I was a kid the best place to spend time was on my fathers farm. I was probably 4-5 when I chased a chicken on my grandfathers farm till it ran out of breath and dropped dead. We had chicken soop that day for dinner. When I was about 8, Iwould wonder the fields looking for animals (back then I would see quail, phesant, hare, fox, deer,russian boar,back in Poland, out there hunting has a big tradition but you have to be an aprentice for many years, pass tests and finally become a member of the Polish Hunting Society which manages all of the game andforests in the whole country, its kind of like the hunters and DNR combinned)I would make my own bow & arrowsfrom sticks and try for to killahare or quail, almost got one once, but the bows would on shoot for like 10yd. Later on I graduated to a bb gun & slingshootand I would shoot birds, mice, rats. When I came to the US I didn't have anyone to turn to to learn the ropes of hunting so as I got older I would read book and any information I could find, finaly after a few years I got my first gun and had a friend from work take me hunting phesant. A few years later he got rid of his dogs and I started hunting deer. Got 2 first season!! Now I'm still developing my skills, trying to meet fellow huntersand trying to get out into the woods as often as possible, nothing like seeing the woods awake early in the morning!!!