Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Comparing feathers: Going up against the best... and we have a winner! >

Comparing feathers: Going up against the best... and we have a winner!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Comparing feathers: Going up against the best... and we have a winner!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Comparing feathers: Going up against the best... and we have a winner!

Most on here know that I've been shooting feathers for the better part of two decades... In my mind, they've always looked way better than any other fletching I've ever adorned my shafts with (and I've tried 'em all), served to separate me from most run-of-the-mill hunters who happen to pick up a bow (notice I didn't say bowhunter ), and the intagible benefits are fantastic (fletching contact becomes less of an issue, greater FOC is instantly acheived, etc).

The only downfall for me over that time period has been price. When it comes to feathers, there's two major players in the industry: Gateway and TruFlight. (For a great discussion on both, clickhere. If you peruse that thread, you'll see that the majority of those of us who shoot feathers have come to the same conclusion I did: TruFlight Feathers are a cut above.

My color of choice for most of these years has been natural barred, in 4" right wing parabolic. The last place I purchased those from, 3Rivers Archery, sells 100 of those for $60.25 plus shipping charges of $9.25. That amounts to 70 cents a feather. Like I said, shooting feathers always bordered on the expensive side!

Because of this expense, I've been on the lookout for a while... I've been a loyal customer of MeanVarchery for many years now, and when I found out that they were carrying feathers this year, I decided to give them a shot. MeanV sells its feathers for $13.50 for a pack of 36 -- and that includes shipping. If you do the quick math, that's 38 cents a feather -- darn near HALF as much as my beloved TruFlights. This was worth investigating.

Here's a handful of feathers from both companies laid out side by side; the TruFlights are on the left. You'll notice some distinct differences, aesthetically: They have a duller background, while the ones from MeanVarchery are white-white, and the bars are "broader" as well. I actually like this, as it conforms to my "open-camo concept" way of thinking. While TruFlight's barred feathers look good up close, the bars from the MeanV feather don't melt into each other at a distance. It's also easier to track the brilliant white background while in flight.

After 30 minutes of scrutinizing the bases on feathers from both companies, I was pleasantly suprised to find absolutely no discernible differences in uniformity and consistency whatsoever. I went so far as to pull all 36 feathers out of my shipment from MeanV Archery and inspect each and every one of them; they were all flawless, down to the last feather.

This is the base on a TruFlight...

And the same on the MeanV...

If anything, the bases may have been a touch thicker on the offering from MeanV, but absolutely consistent on each and every feather.

Here's how they end up looking compared side by side with each other...

I have to say that I'm well-pleased with the quality of these feathers... and at nearly half the price, I might be able to afford to keep shooting feathers for another couple decades!
Old 03-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Comparing feathers: Going up against the best... and we have a winner!

Greg or Dan please correct me if I am wrong, but aren't those feathers you are extolling...................Gateway? By the way, I have to differ with you for once, I prefer Gateways over Trueflights.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Comparing feathers: Going up against the best... and we have a winner!

Those are great looking and I am too a devote believer in 4 inch TF Barred -
In the photos it almost looks like the TF's are a grey barred not a white but you can see a drastic difference - that is interesting and I may have to try some once I am out of TF's -

I like the Red-barred personally and currently have all yellow barred(had to try somethign diff)on a dozen 360's I plan on hunting with

Thanks for sharing and taking the time for the comparison - appreciate the time and detail you went through- and they look SWEET
Old 03-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Greg or Dan please correct me if I am wrong, but aren't those feathers you are extolling...................Gateway? By the way, I have to differ with you for once, I prefer Gateways over Trueflights.
No they are not Gateway. I did handle Gateway and still stock the Razrs but everything else Gateway will be dwindled out of stock. These feathers are made and sold to me locally under a private label. The Solid colors are absolutely Vibrant. Gateways which I handled before Dull in comparison.

Dan
Old 03-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

3" Gateway Barred.

Dan

Old 03-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg you and I have similar thoughts, tastes and opinions quite obviously. I'm a feather shooter, and since snow is seldom in VA (when I'm deer hunting anyway) I use all three fletches white barred. I've shot just about everything, and while most of what I use is ultra modern... I figure that if God designed a feather to stabilize a 20# turkey in the air, it is more than suitable of handling a 100gr broadhead.

Nice write up on the feathers! Another good excuse to send meanv more of my $.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

By the way, I have to differ with you for once, I prefer Gateways over Trueflights.
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!![] Seriously? Man I have pack after pack of each here in everything from 3" on up to 5" shield cuts and the Gateways are hideous in comparison.

You're joking right?
Old 03-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

No they are not Gateway. I did handle Gateway and still stock the Razrs but everything else Gateway will be dwindled out of stock. These feathers are made and sold to me locally under a private label. The Solid colors are absolutely Vibrant. Gateways which I handled before Dull in comparison.

Dan
Ok thanks for the clarification Dan, I may have to try some of those next time I fletch some shafts with feathers. As of now I am using the Blazer vanes, but I still like to play around with feathers because of all the good things feathers bring. As said by Greg above , good way to start out to up the FOC.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

good deal!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

In the photos it almost looks like the TF's are a grey barred not a white but you can see a drastic difference
Yeah, I know... amazing, isn't it? I always thought the natural barred was pretty white... until I got hold of these! One of the reasons I cap my arrows is to be able to find them better after a shot in the woods; the coloration of these feathers are only going to help to that end.

Quick Reply: Comparing feathers: Going up against the best... and we have a winner!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.