Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Comparing feathers: Going up against the best... and we have a winner! >

Comparing feathers: Going up against the best... and we have a winner!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Comparing feathers: Going up against the best... and we have a winner!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Comparing feathers: Going up against the best... and we have a winner!

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Seriously? Man I have pack after pack of each here in everything from 3" on up to 5" shield cuts and the Gateways are hideous in comparison.

You're joking right?
Just pulled out some arrows I have fletched with what I was told were Gateway feathers. They are not barred feathers, but some sort of camo feathers that are pretty hot in my area, all sold by the nearest Bowtech pro shop. Come in orange, green, red, yellow camo type of feathers. Not barred, I really don't know what you'd call them, but not solid color. They shoot fine for me and seem to stand up to abuse pretty well. BUT, next time I fletch up I'll try some of Dan's feathers, about time I order something from a fellow bowhunter who is just a short ways south of me anyway.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Comparing feathers: Going up against the best... and we have a winner!

Greg, I noticed you really like your fletch close to your nock. I don't start mine until the 4th line on the Bitz clamp.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rob,

I could give you all the technical reasons why the further-attached your fletching system is, the more "steerability" and guidance it has the capacity to offer. Think about it this way: The further forward your fletching is, the more likely the arrow is to want to "swap ends"... taken that to an extreme, it would only make sense to move the fletchng as far back as possible.

Or, I could just be be honest and say.. "Never thought about moving them anywhere else than there. "

Old 03-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Rob,

I could give you all the technical reasons why the further-attached your fletching system is, the more "steerability" and guidance it has the capacity to offer. Think about it this way: The further forward your fletching is, the more likely the arrow is to want to "swap ends"... taken that to an extreme, it would only make sense to move the fletchng as far back as possible.

Or, I could just be be honest and say.. "Never thought about moving them anywhere else than there. "

Greg,
I agree! I always put my fletching as farback as I can andstillmiss my face when I'm anchored at Full draw.

Dan
Old 03-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well huh, whatever works for ya. I'll continue to put my fletch on that 4th line as that works pefectly for me.

Just for kicks I'll fletch up one at your position, any bets on it touching the same spot as my normal (for me) fletched arrows.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually there is a "standard" for fletching feathers and vanes that I use and it's 1 1/4" from the throat of the nock. That's what I use on all my arrows. LOL

So the line on the clamp that I use will vary from arrow style to arrow style based upon what kind of nock, or nock/bushing combo I am using.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I first read 1 1/4", I was like "Wow, I don't remember ever seeing your arrows that much different than mine!!" Then I went and measured mine, and they're 1"... that's why they didn't seem too different.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

When I first read 1 1/4", I was like "Wow, I don't remember ever seeing your arrows that much different than mine!!" Then I went and measured mine, and they're 1"... that's why they didn't seem too different.
Greg,
Just measured mine they are 1" from the throat of the nock also

Dan
Old 03-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Greg,
Just measured mine they are 1" from the throat of the nock also

Dan
Nonconformists

Old 03-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heck,mine are 1 3/8 from the nock groove,but that does increase foc.[8D]

I might have to get some of those as well,I am just about in the market for some as we speak.

Quick Reply: Comparing feathers: Going up against the best... and we have a winner!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.