Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 scared of coyotes? >

scared of coyotes?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scared of coyotes?

Old 03-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: scared of coyotes?

haha, are you serious? if one comes up kick it! not scared at all! enjoy the night howls....as they pack up and chase down prey, occassionally I hear them get something and go crazy.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whoever says coyotes wont do anything is lying! Unless you guys just have nice ones lol. The pack by my hunting spot tried to take me down twice now, they were between my stand where i was and my fourwheeler so i really had no way outta the woods besides to just wait it out or go in and fight them! well i tried waiting it out for 20 minutes and it was getting darker so i just said hek with it and got my Colt .45 out and i shot a few times. Let me tell ya that was pretty darn scary! but it felt very good to know that i had my pistol on me and i wasnt gonna die without a big fight! Also wolves are bad in my area to!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

where are you wisbowhunter?

they say the coyotes out east here, the ones that pack up are actually hybrids, wolf/coyote....because the article I read stated that packing up is a wolf trait, not a coyote trait, but out east here they def pack up, i guess out west theyre more solo hunters, ie pure coyotes?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have them thick in southern Oklahoma. One night we were camping near our hunting spot and there was a whole pack that was howling, and it kept getting closer. Finally, my dad yells at the tops of his lungs who wants it. You could here them scatter like scared pups. I was laughing so hard, but my buddy was still worried about them coming back.

Sorry, but yotes don't prey on people so I don't fear them. I am more worried about stumbling on a black bear while walking to my stand in the thick woods at 5 in the morning.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had some really close and personal meetings with yotes over the past years. But.. I don't believe I was ever in danger. They're alot smaller than my lab and he'll scare the piss out of ya.. something fierce when he wants too.

Had a real close encounter about 2 days ago while sheddin' with the prettiest yote I ever saw.

I bumped some deer over a CRP field and decided to make my way back towards them by staying low in an open field saddle.. as I was coming up a yote appeared in the distance headed straight toward me about 100 yards off. I think the deer bumped him off a small fencerow that cut the CRP. I got down on my knees (focus people) and watched as the young yote closed from 70.. 60... yards.. then I got lower and laid on my belly. He eventually got just ever so down-wind at like 10-15 yards.. and stopped on a dime. I actually started to snicker.. he looked right at me and stood for another 10 seconds.. took a step forward.. then took off the other way into the next county! I got back onto my knees and watched him disappear over the hillside. Neat encounter..
Old 03-27-2008, 08:25 PM

I didn't know it one morning but I walked in between two yotes that had something treed. It was dark and I heard movement near the trail to my stand. Kinda like they were circling. Well, I start shining my light around and see eyes in a tree. I walk to it and see its cat eyes and a cat figure. Well, I first thought it was a bobcat (I've seen them in that area before) and I continued to my stand. After daylight, I see two BIG yotes heading for the thicket. Oh, thats what I was hearing. The "bobcat" was a house cat. He met up with me when I got back to my truck and meowed like crazy. My dad said it was thanking me for saving it's life.

Anyway, I walked right in between these coyotes. They kept their distance once I closed the distance.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Spike

coyotes are the last thing you should be afraid of. to hear a bunch of them calling each other in close like that is a beautiful sound. i love calling and i can guaratee you if you ever get the feeling that their too close to you or after you all you have to do is make some noise and they will be gone. plus they are like deer in that if they catch your sent they will be out of the country in a full sprint.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, very interesting?
I tell you what... When there are a pack of yotes together and there within 100 yards of you in all directions, it is way different than having 1 or 2 around.
Maybe you need to experience that, to appreciate the chance of being a dinner for wild dogs???
It's freaking erie!!!!
This area I speak of has an abundance of coyote.
I was talking to the lady at the town variety store and she has a Bison farm just up the road.
Her story goes like this...
At the beggining of spring she had 27 Bison she raises for meat, somewhere in the 200-300 lb. range.
When I talked to her in the fall, she was selling the last 3 before the coyotes got them.
They pack up and nip at the achilles, until the Bison goes to the ground, and then attack.
What a way to go..
Old 03-28-2008, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Yotes are wimps when it comes to humans. I'd be more worried about dogs, especially if they are running in packs.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Yotes are wimps when it comes to humans. I'd be more worried about dogs, especially if they are running in packs.
Maybe there wimps down there???
They attack humans up here, do a google search about attacks, you'll be surprised

Quick Reply: scared of coyotes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.