Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting from a treestand >

shooting from a treestand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting from a treestand

Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 PM

Default shooting from a treestand

Never hunted with a bow from a tree stand how does it work with the range. If the Tree is 20 yards from the bait and the stand is 15 feet hight how far of an actual shot is it.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:23 AM

Default RE: shooting from a treestand

20.6155 yds. A (squared) + B (squared) = C (squared) where A is stand height in yards (3), B is distance on ground from bait (20) and C is actual shot distance from shooting height to bait.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

As shown, the line of sight distance is the hypotenuse of the triangle. However, due to shooting in a downward angle ou still make the shot as if it were ground level distance. If you use proper form, keeping the upper body in a "T" formation by bending at the waist there should be very little difference in POI compared to ground level.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let's not forget that on level ground gravity immediatly begins to affect the arrow, so you are aiming the arrow up in an arc to make sure your arrow is on target when it reaches it's goal. From an elevated platform gravity has a lesser effect on the arrow. This will throw a slightly straiter trajectory to your shot,not much though. But combine the distance thing, the gravity thing, throw in a little bad form and viola' you've just shot high by several inches (the form thing being the worst).

My advice, climb up that tree with a quiver full of arrows and have at it. Remember to bend at the waist.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

As shown, the line of sight distance is the hypotenuse of the triangle. However, due to shooting in a downward angle you still make the shot as if it were ground level distance. If you use proper form, keeping the upper body in a "T" formation by bending at the waist there should be very little difference in POI compared to ground level.
Exactly

Gravity acts the same regardless if the arrow is shot up/down or sideways.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

i will second Dr Andy...get up in the stand with a target over the off season and set out your target and let some arrows loose...i do it every year...i take my stand, my hunting arrows and broadheads and broadhead target out to the woods and act like im hunting. i even punish myself and only take 1 arrow up with me. climb up, estimate the range...stand up..draw smooth and quietly like its a pope and young buck standing there...anchor, bend at the waist, float the pin and release...lower my bow, climb down, get the arrow, move the target and do it all again...its punishment in 90 degree weather over the summer! teaches me to make that 1 shot count...and teaches me to shoot from my stand as if i were hunting. no substitute for real practice IMO.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:40 AM

The other big thing to consider is how the trajectory of the arrow changes in relation to the vitals as the arrow penetrates your critter. It's generally better to hit animals a bit higher on the chest from above than you would aim at them from the ground. This ensures that you get both lungs (top of near lung, bottom of far lung), especially at steep angles.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

IN OTHER WORDS- practice shooting from the tree! all these posts bring up the very good points of triangles and gravity effects, so once you measure out the distances, PRACTICE UP THERE to make sure you translate the info to the actual situation.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

Let's not forget that on level ground gravity immediatly begins to affect the arrow, so you are aiming the arrow up in an arc to make sure your arrow is on target when it reaches it's goal. From an elevated platform gravity has a lesser effect on the arrow. This will throw a slightly straiter trajectory to your shot,not much though. But combine the distance thing, the gravity thing, throw in a little bad form and viola' you've just shot high by several inches (the form thing being the worst).

My advice, climb up that tree with a quiver full of arrows and have at it. Remember to bend at the waist.
The closer the shot the more acute the angle, the higher the hit. Longer the shot, the less likely the POI will change. I shoot regularly from and elevated position, therefore I'm very comfortable taking treestand shots because they feel like a natural shot to me.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't shoot the same from a stand as on the ground. If I don't set the bow up from the stand position I wont shoot well.

Best you find out for yourself first.

Quick Reply: shooting from a treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.