Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you do? Bow choice. >

What would you do? Bow choice.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do? Bow choice.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What would you do? Bow choice.

Ok, I know we all hate the "which bow is best" thread, so I'll put a spin on it. I have two bows narrowed down, and I can't make my mind up. It's down to the following:

08 101st Airborne
07 Commander

I've shot the 82nd, but not the 101st, but from most reports, the draw cycle/shot experience was very similar. So I know I loved the 82nd, and would also love the 101st. The commander I have not shot, but hear great things about it. For right now, I'm looking for a little longer ATA than what I have now (36" min) and it will be seeing dual purpose as of right now (3d and hunting). Here's the kicker...price.

The commander is used (07) was shot for one 3D season and can be mine for $450.

The 101st is basically brand new and can be had for $600. That's a $150 difference. I hate to come across as a cheapo, but not sure what to do. I haven't shot the commander, so that's why I'm leaning toward the 101st, so I assume I should just ignore the price difference, and go with what I shot, or save the money and get used bow (with a little longer ATA which I like) that I haven't shot? <---I suppose that last sentence almost makes the decision a little clearer. I know the one local shop near me doesn't have a commander in stock, and Ben is the only one I know personally who shoots one, but I'm pretty busy for the next few weeks (as is he) so not sure I can get around to shooting it. Thoughts?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What would you do? Bow choice.

Commander -quieter , less recoil, deflex geometry balance, good speed, smoother drawing.
Airborne 101 -considerably faster, conventional reflex geometry balance.

Tough one........
I like em both.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

.... --- -.-- -

That stands for HOYT

Ok...I'm done being an ARSE...

Ifthe higher dollar bow feels best....pay the extra...Hunting is high on your priority list....so treat yourself[8D]
Old 03-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tough choice Matt H. You know how I feel about the 82nd as it's the one you shot.

I've only shot Ben's Commander and it's too long for me to get a real perspective but it was quiet, smooth and he's getting 308 out of it at his longer draw.

Very tough choice and although I envy your picks, I don't envy your having to choose between the two.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Commander -quieter , less recoil, deflex geometry balance, good speed, smoother drawing.
Airborne 101 -considerably faster, conventional reflex geometry balance.

Tough one........
I like em both.

Thanks, Matt...big help...loljk
Old 03-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, Matt...big help...loljk
No problem, I thought that might clear it up.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

So this is backfiring a bit I'm wondering if the more deflexed riser of the Commander would be better suited to the double duty (especially 3D/target)...now that Matt mentioned that (see Matt you are helping me think here).
Old 03-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't even question it.

Commander.

More brace height, deflex riser geometry, more mass weight (especially at the ends of the riser), less aggressive cam design, More than enough speed to blow through any animal from antelope to moose. All this adds up to a more forgiving, easier to shoot accurately bow.

IMO the 101'st and 82nd are 3D bows first, where you will be shooting with perfect form, and hunting bows second.
The commander is a bow that will really shine as a true dual purpose bow. It is plenty fast enough for 3D and is an ultra forgiving hunting rig. Truely the best of both worlds.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt,

Let me sum up my experiences for ya;
I had the 07 commander - traded it for a hoyt katera- 3 weeks ago went and picked the Commander back up (same bow)
I also had the 101st- shot one 3d with it and traded it in on an 08 commander-on order in max 4

Now for my reasoning for both moves - the 07 commander is probably the most shootable bow I have owned in 10+ years(and there have been 50 plus bows probably)- it is simply fun to shoot, deadly accurate, no issues hunting I took several deer with it - plenty of speed in my assessment - I can achieve 300 if I went to a lighter arrow easily

The 101st was deadly accurate as well- but in my experience I was easily fatigued by repetitous shooting - I quickly decided it wasn't for me - my shoulder was actually aching after the last 3d - Can't wait on the 08 commander to get here and will have a tuff time deciding which to take opening day- good luck with either choice both are fine bows

Old 03-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I could only have one bow I would be hard pressed to not keep my Guardian.

Given the 2 choices you named I would beswayed toward the Commander based solely on my experience with the Guardian.

Dan

Quick Reply: What would you do? Bow choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.