Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who makes a good, cheap GPS....I NEED ONE! >

Who makes a good, cheap GPS....I NEED ONE!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who makes a good, cheap GPS....I NEED ONE!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Who makes a good, cheap GPS....I NEED ONE!

You'll never believe this one guys. A friend and I headed to the woods a couple weeks ago to place a scouting cameras. After returning a couple weeks later, we found only 1 of the 2 cameras. I know what you are thinking, someone stole the other camera. No one stole the other camera, my friend and I just can't remember the exact location that we placed the camera. Stupid I know. When placing the camera, we also took in 2- 50 lbs. bags a corn to attract the deer for pictures (we don't hunt over the corn during the season). You would think 100 pounds of corn, 2 weeks and all the deer, turkey and coon eating at this certain spot that we would have been able to locate and area disturbed as well as our camera. We looked for 2 hours and found nothing. I hate like heck to lose this camera, it cost $300. We decided to look again this coming weekend in a much larger area that the area we first thought we had put the camera. I need to know who makes a resonable and reliable GPS that this won't happen next time us idiots decide to hang our cameras.
Thanks alot.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Bartender

Default RE: Who makes a good, cheap GPS....I NEED ONE!

I really like the Etrex and Etrex legend and I upload the waypoints to expertgps.com on satellite pics.
Really cheap at walmarts.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: peakrut

I really like the Etrex and Etrex legend and I upload the waypoints to expertgps.com on satellite pics.
Really cheap at walmarts.
Thanks......I have never used one and was wondering if it's pretty easy to get started or do you have to studt the manual to use it?
Old 03-25-2008, 02:50 PM

Garmin Etrex, 100 bucks. It's a very basic GPS, no uploadable maps, none of that.....But.....you'll be able to find your way home. Pull up the waypoint you want to go to, select it, and a great big arrow pops up on the screen. Keep the arrow pointed in front of you, you'll walk right into it.

They're pretty cool, especially for as basic as they are.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good and Cheep dont go together but Garmin makes a ok one for 100.00........
Old 03-25-2008, 04:07 PM

i have the e trex works ok will get you there & back nothing fancy about it

Old 03-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm interested in this too. All I want is to mark a spot and be able to get there & back. I don't need maps and all the fancy stuff. If I am roaming around vast areas and find a good spot I want to mark it so i can get there again.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garmin Etrex, 100 bucks. It's a very basic GPS, no uploadable maps, none of that.....But.....you'll be able to find your way home. Pull up the waypoint you want to go to, select it, and a great big arrow pops up on the screen. Keep the arrow pointed in front of you, you'll walk right into it.

They're pretty cool, especially for as basic as they are.

I agree. Believe it or not the basic Etrex is what I used in Colorado in the Flat Tops Wilderness. Without it I would have been in bad shape and it allowed me to venture off in any direction with confidence. It worked great and is simple and easy to learn to use.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the e trex it works ok it will get you there and out of the woods. when the trees are full i sometimes lose the signal here and there . i wish that part was better
Old 03-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I have the Legend and it works just fine. You will loose signal in a heavy canopy. I think that's pretty much true with any of them. You just have to find a hole now and then. You can buy topo software for the Legend and upload maps. Depending on you computer you may need to buy a special cable. I cracked my glass on the face of my Legend, but it still works. I'd be afraid to take it out in the rain like that. I bought a new pair ofGarmin Rhinos at Xmas time with my brother. It's the nuts. More expensive but with a radio and all sorts of neat features. I do love it. With the Legend when you uploaded topo stuff you couldn't revert back to your base map and could run out of room for more uploads. With the Rhino I have half of NY state on it I guess with a little room left. I know if I go to Ohio or some place like that I can go ahead and upload maps from there. It's a lot more than the Legend, but it does a whole lot more. You can keep track of where your friends on the same frequency are, go to their location or last known location at the push of a button. It's so cool. I'm going to get my Legend fixed if they'll do it, but I'm a Rhino man now. LOL

Quick Reply: Who makes a good, cheap GPS....I NEED ONE!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.