Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Trimming the fat? >

Trimming the fat?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trimming the fat?

Old 03-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Trimming the fat?

I am on a mission for thissummer to "trim the fat" off my bow and my gear.... Looking in my fanny pack.... and backpack.... there is enough gear in there for a small army of hunters..... Just a bunch of extra baggage that I rarely use in reality.[/align][/align]I am going to make over my whole setup from head to toeto be as slim, trim, lightand streamlinedas possible.....[/align][/align]Some of the places I hunt is fairly rugged terrain with some hefty walk ins..... All this extra weight and gear is slowing me down and causing excessive sweat....[/align][/align]Anyone else really stop and look at all the unneeded gear and accessories they are packing in with them? Can't be just me... [8D][/align][/align]For me it is ridiculous really. [/align][/align]Step one... Identify a problem....[/align]Step two.... Rectify it.... [/align]
Old 03-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Trimming the fat?

I am on the same mission

Will you be trimming Fat elsewhere also[:-]
Old 03-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second this buckeye. I had way too much junk in my trunk this past season. I'm thinking a couple knives/headlight/extra batteries/small first aid/small zip lok with bow repair stuff/grunt call/"small" rattling horns/water and a few granola bars/extra release/bowhangers/....Dang where do I start buckeye, I'm scared.[]

LT
Old 03-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Host of Hosts

Anyone else really stop and look at all the unneeded gear and accessories they are packing in with them? Can't be just me
Scott, Good Post!

I was thinking about this the other day. I think I can find alot of "junk" in my pack that was either a gimmick or I had to have, but hardly ever use.

Be careful not to trim fat elswhere, because it couldexcite Germ and the spooning could get out of hand at the GTG.[&:]
Old 03-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

My fanny pack carries a few steps and thats it. But on my belt I carry my Gerber saw, a knife, flashlight, and cell phone. One cargo pocket carries a facemask or extra hat while the other cargo pocket holds my harness safety strap until I hook up. I could not do without cargo pockets or belt loops. My beef with bibs is that many manufacturers do not put on belt loops or cargo pockets[>:]. Sometimes I carry binocs but most times not, the rare times I rattle gotta carry them in, camera stays in the truck. Sometimes something just has to stay.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

I am on the same mission

I am 6' and weigh 173 pounds bro... How much you want me to lose?
Old 03-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll be needing to trim the "other" fat. I've always been sort of a minimalist in my packs. Everything I bring is either needed that hunt, or if I would shoot a deer. I don't bring anything I am not going to regularly use.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:27 PM

Most of us probably all carry something with us into the woods that will probably never get used...but it sure does suck that one time you need it and you left it in the truck
Old 03-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did that a few years ago. I stopped carrying a backpack when I went to hunting out of my climber almost exclusively. If it doesen't fit in the pockets of my bowhunting vest it doesn't make the trip. I haven't missed any of it either.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeye

ORIGINAL: Germ

I am on the same mission

I am 6' and weigh 173 pounds bro... How much you want me to lose?
Buckeye: Once you pass 40 ish you'll soon be aware that you've turned into a mature buck.
5' 5" ~ 174lbs of love baby! At least that's what I tell my wife

Quick Reply: Trimming the fat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.