Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big Decision...RH to LH...questions. >

Big Decision...RH to LH...questions.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Stay Right Handed...Improve Form
36.36%
Go Left Handed...start from scratch
54.55%
Use a blinder
0%
Stop worrying...you worry too much
9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Big Decision...RH to LH...questions.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big Decision...RH to LH...questions.

Ok, after reading over several of the posts that have occured in recent days concerning eye dominance, I'm starting to be swayed a bit into switching over to a left hand bow. I've KNOWN I was left eye dominant since I was about 10 when I started shooting rifles (my dad even purchased me a left hand rifle when (double checked the eye dominace beforehand to make sure). However, when I was 14 and decided to get into archery, I really had no one guiding me or giving me advice. In fact, we went to a local pro shop and even after telling them I was left eye dominant (but right handed) they tried be out with a right hand bow and had me close my left eye. Of course this felt comfortable to me being right handed, but obviously it was the wrong way. I've been shooting this way for about 9 years now, and now that I'm starting to take my shooting more seriously, I'm wondering if I should attempt to make the switch to left hand bows. I've found that obvously I can't shoot with both eyes open, and I've also noticed I can't blur the pins very well and focus on the target...is this because of focus issues with only having one eye open?

I'm a bit leary (ok very much so) of making such a drastic switch, because I've been working on getting my bow setup even more this year and it's obviously right handed, and shooting right handed is all I've known since I was 14. Arm strength wouldn't be too much of an issue in adjustment as I do work out frequently, but I still know it would be very awkward, and the question would be HOW LONG would it be awkward for?

Basically my question to you folks is...if I'm comfortable shooting right handed and closing my left eye, am I hindering my shooting potential (I'm not that great of a shot, but improving, so will continually shooting this way limit how good I can get)? Is it worth the swtich? Obviously I would LOVE a new bow, but I don't need to spend the money either...unless those of you think it's absolutly necessary. Then I might just say bye to the Ross[&:]
Old 03-22-2008, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Big Decision...RH to LH...questions.

Hello
I shot for over 17 years left handed because, I was left handed. When I found out about the eye dominance issue, I switched to right handed. The only problem I had was initially grabbing the bow with the wrong hand when I went to shoot arrows. Everything else came easy and quickly. I shot better than ever before. It was a move that really was a blessing.
If I were you, I'd switch and do it as early before hunting season as possible. My switch had a few perks that your switch will be losing, like right handed equipment is much easier to find.

Dan
Old 03-22-2008, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've said it before and I'll stand behind it, any shooting coach worth his salt will not only suggest but presuade you to shoot to your dominant eye.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, let me go one step further, and ask (since I'm assuming this will be the overwhelming response) if you suggest I make the switch, WHY and WHAT benefits would I see shooting with my dominant eye? I'm sorta playing devil's advocate here guys, I believe you guys when you say it's better to shoot that way, but what type of things make it better (accuracy, form, release, etc)?
Old 03-22-2008, 06:34 AM

I have recently made the switch myself (left handed to right handed). It really wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be. Just go into it with an open mind and keep telling yourself it will be easy. I personally have seen my accuracy improve drastically, it's easier to focus on the target, and I have noticed that I can hold the bow alot steadier.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:03 AM

Hi.
I began shooting right handed with bows and guns when I was 8. I never was a really accurate shot. I found out I was left eye dominant and began to shoot left handed when I was 13. When I shot right handed I had to shoot with my left eye closed and everything was blurry. I thought it would be REALLY hard to learn to shoot left handed, and it was wierd atfirst. But once I got my form down in the first few weeks, and realized it has the same basic formas shooting right handed, I was shooting better groups than I did after 5 years of when I shot right handed. Plus, I could shoot with both eyes open and could really focus on what I wanted to hit. It also raised my confidence ALOT.

I have been shooting left handed for 4 years and I am really impressed how much better I can shoot, but one thing thats funny is, I still haven't learned how to put an arrow on the string with my left hand. Ive heard this from several other people too who switched to left handed.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's funny you mention the focus issue, as I feel that's one of the main factors that's slowly convincing me to make the switch. Because I have to keep my left eye closed, I can't easily blur the pin, and I noticed I'm really contracting a lot more muscles in my face due to having to keep my eye shut which may contribute to a little less steady hold...or am I wrong there? Hmmm...it may be time for the Bowtech afterall[8D]
Old 03-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I brought this topic up a few weeks ago about my son being right handed and left eye dominant, i have had countless people tell me he needs to shoot left handed. We are getting ready to make the switch, but he is young and should pick it up easy. good luck to you on your decision
Old 03-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

I brought this topic up a few weeks ago about my son being right handed and left eye dominant, i have had countless people tell me he needs to shoot left handed. We are getting ready to make the switch, but he is young and should pick it up easy. good luck to you on your decision
Thanks...yeah starting them young would be best...I'm sure if I decide to switch it will be quite awkward but I will keep at it.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to give me some valuable input on the subject. I'm contemplating more and more in making the switch. Anyone else have any opinions/thoughts on the issue? Should I go for it, or be happy with the groups I'm getting with my current setup? One thing that I don't look forward to is the lack of second party LH accessories (used). Left hand bows are really hard to find secondhand (anyone know where I can find a LH commander for a decent price) as well. However, this may be a switch that really benefits me in the end so I may be willing to do it.

Quick Reply: Big Decision...RH to LH...questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.