Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big Decision...RH to LH...questions. >

Big Decision...RH to LH...questions.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Stay Right Handed...Improve Form
36.36%
Go Left Handed...start from scratch
54.55%
Use a blinder
0%
Stop worrying...you worry too much
9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Big Decision...RH to LH...questions.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Spike

Default RE: Big Decision...RH to LH...questions.

I would recommend you make the switch. I shot right handed for about 18 years and finally decided to switch so I could use my dominate eye. I was 48 years old when I made the switch. I made the switch the day after our season ended (Jan 1st) and shot about 3 days per week. It took about 3 months to get comfortable with the "left handed" stuff. I don't do anything else left handed so I know what you are saying. It was a great decision. I shoot with both eyes open and feel I am a better shot using my dominate eye.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

Many a World Class Archers out there shooting with their non dominate Eye!

There is 3 reasons to change your shooting hand to your dominate eye.
1. Is if your vision is actually noticeably weaker in your shooting eye, and have trouble focusing on the target.
2. For some reason you cant squint, close or cover you dominate eye.
3. If the top 2 dont pertain to you, the only benefit is a slightly larger field of view.

There is no doubt that some will shoot better when they switch hands to their dominate eye, but it is because they are paying more attention to the shot process (starting from scratch), and has nothing to do with the eye.

It's a simple fact, if your doing your part and your pin is on the bullseye when your release goes off, the arrow is going to hit where the pin was.

Most people's problem is with their shot process, not their eyeball!

Thanks, let me break your overview into my current situation:

Is if your vision is actually noticeably weaker in your shooting eye, and have trouble focusing on the target.

If that means not being able to get the pins to fully blur and let me see the target clearly without the pin being clearly in focus, then yes. I do have 20/10 vision, so I do have good vision, but that may not translate into good "shooting" vision.

For some reason you cant squint, close or cover you dominate eye.

I close my dominant eye just fine, and that's the only way I get the peep/sight ring to line up. Now here is my question...isn't this just a bandaid fix, since EVERYONE tells me it's best to shoot with both eyes open, not one shut. So is there proof that shooting with both eyes open is more accurate than with one shut?

If the top 2 dont pertain to you, the only benefit is a slightly larger field of view.

So in a sense, if I'm shooting ok right handed, I would really gain very little (other than a sore wallet) by transitioning into a left hand setup? My biggest fear is dumping all the money into a new setup and then gaining very little from it all.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I've said it before and I'll stand behind it, any shooting coach worth his salt will not only suggest but presuade you to shoot to your dominant eye.
My little boy is right handed but left eye dominate, I've got him shooting left handed, He's exactly like my father.. Dad always shot left handed bows and rifles.. even though he was right handed..due to his eye dominance
Old 03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing I'm reading that comes up in these discussions over on AT is that it's best to keep the bow arm the strong arm which I assume results in a steadier bow? This would make sense to me as well. However, a lot of archers over their shoot right handed even being left-eye dominant. Someone even mentioned that Dave Cousins is in the same boat as well? Thoughts?
Old 03-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

If that means not being able to get the pins to fully blur and let me see the target clearly without the pin being clearly in focus, then yes. I do have 20/10 vision, so I do have good vision, but that may not translate into good "shooting" vision
We cant focus on both. It's harder to focus on a bulls eye with pins, try focusing on the bulls eye first and then move your pin onto it. Some shoot just as well focusing on the pininstead of thebulls eye.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

If that means not being able to get the pins to fully blur and let me see the target clearly without the pin being clearly in focus, then yes. I do have 20/10 vision, so I do have good vision, but that may not translate into good "shooting" vision
We cant focus on both. It's harder to focus on a bulls eye with pins, try focusing on the bulls eye first and then move your pin onto it. Some shoot just as well focusing on the pininstead of thebulls eye.

Yeah, it's a tough decision. What's your thoughts on having the strong arm be the bow arm? Anyone else...thoughts on that comment?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

Back when I started archery about 4 years ago, I bought a used right handed bow. Me being completely left handed, left eye dominate, I thought it may be a problem. After the first few rounds of shooting, I wasn't bad though. It wasn't until this last season that I started to notice a problem. I started rushing my shots because my sight picture started to blur after 5 seconds. I recently went out and bought a new left handed bow and what a difference. I can now hold back a concentrate more with what I am doing without losing focus. If you lived a little closer I would meet you and let you shot mine to see if it was the step you would want to take.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly there are a lot of great shooters that are left eye dominant/right handed. I have heard that Dave C is one of them as well. I guess before anyone can answer that question they would have to understand what you want to accomplish, and if your struggling with eye dominance the way you do things today. I wouldn't make a change just to make a change, and as I stated in a PM I wouldnever make the change without access to a good certified NAA or NFAA coach that has helped people through this in the past to guide you along the process.

Also, you can always add a blinder to your hat to shut off access to the dominant eye. Lancaster sells one for about $10 made by Gunstar that you can see on the link below:

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2754&osCsid=12237 224d9fdbbf14036cb503d18d9fa

One of my local buddies Travis Boyd shoots right handed but is left eye dominant. He uses the blinderover one eye to help himself with this. I guess he shoots OK as Mathews Pro Staff with a win at IBO Worlds in Semi-Pro,an ASA Shooter of the Year award in Semi-Pro, and won ASA Rookie of the Year in Open Pro. [8D] He's seriously the best 3D shooter I've ever shot with and it doesn't affect him at all.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow yes Matt I made the switch when I was like 14 and it was weird at first, but the benifits are better! You will shoot with more confidence and better groups. Hey Ben if I would of known you could of shot my bow when i was up too shoot! Next time I will let you shoot it for awhile see what ya think!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Honestly there are a lot of great shooters that are left eye dominant/right handed. I have heard that Dave C is one of them as well. I guess before anyone can answer that question they would have to understand what you want to accomplish, and if your struggling with eye dominance the way you do things today. I wouldn't make a change just to make a change, and as I stated in a PM I wouldnever make the change without access to a good certified NAA or NFAA coach that has helped people through this in the past to guide you along the process.

Also, you can always add a blinder to your hat to shut off access to the dominant eye. Lancaster sells one for about $10 made by Gunstar that you can see on the link below:

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2754&osCsid=12237 224d9fdbbf14036cb503d18d9fa

One of my local buddies Travis Boyd shoots right handed but is left eye dominant. He uses the blinderover one eye to help himself with this. I guess he shoots OK as Mathews Pro Staff with a win at IBO Worlds in Semi-Pro,an ASA Shooter of the Year award in Semi-Pro, and won ASA Rookie of the Year in Open Pro. [8D] He's seriously the best 3D shooter I've ever shot with and it doesn't affect him at all.
Could his(your buddy Travis Boyd)eye situation not be as bad as Matts? Everyone is different as far as dominant eye! One thing for sure your not gonna shoot worse going to your dominant eye!

Quick Reply: Big Decision...RH to LH...questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.