Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Even if you did...... >

Even if you did......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Even if you did......

Old 03-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Even if you did......

I think the results would be different. I have been bowhunting for 3 years now with some degree of success. I have killed several deer, all were fairly immature though. I believe I would do better on better land but I don't think I could consistantly kill BIG bucks with my level of experience. GregH, lets find out! I'll save some vacation time for November , what do ya think?
Honestly I think I'll need a few more years chasing deer to get the experience, knowledge, and skill level some other members like you have reached.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll drive txjourneyman! Where do I pick you up!

Hatchet Jack
Old 03-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let me explain it this way.........I bowhunted PA for (at the time) 20 seasons and never SAW a P&Y caliber deer in all those years from stand. NEVER SAW ONE.

I leased a farm in West Central (Scott Co.) IL in 2004 and after 1/2 day of low impact scouting, I hung a stand and had an 18 yard opportunity at an honest 160" 10pt. (I spooked the doe that was with him and blew it but that's beside the point)
I saw multiple P&Y bucks, passed 3 that would have been my largest to date and really should have gotten it done first day in.

Luck? Coincidnece? Location?

There really is a direct relationship to location and success, especially for the people with any skills. It's undeniable.
A person with 1/2a head on his shoulders might not hammer them first year in a new quality location, there are subtle patterns etc that get refined over the years but you gotta hunt where they are.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hell no Greg!! A perfect example would be me going up to Canada where Dan does his guiding. I guarantee my luck compared to his luck would be night and day!! I've got some good knowledge on these whitetails but huntingDans area compared to my area would be like almost starting all over again and learning a new way to hunt. He's got the huge big woods, I have my little farm parcels here and there. I'm guessing it might take me 4 to 5 years to get an idea of what I got to do to score on some of these big bucks. I have no problem saying I may not have the success that the owner does on his land, thats just plain ridiculous if you think you can match up with anyone on there land in a given time. Some could probably do this but not many in my opinion. It takes time to learn these big boys, it takes even more time to get them in front of you (specially on someone else's land)
Old 03-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Dominant Buck

If I went down my you Jeff I would think my chance would be great at getting a deer as opposed to you coming up here.
You definatly have the numbers down by you.
Tony....don't get me wrong....but read this, again.

The entire premise was.....Where would you hunt......if you HAD to kill a P&Y?

We're not talking about killing "A" deer. We're talking about killing a P&Y buck.

So....in that regard.....YOU DEFINITELY have the numbers up by YOU

I wouldn't feel threatened AT ALL if someone made a post asking.....

"Whose woods would you most like to hunt .....if you HAD to kill 5 deer this fall?"

If my name got picked on that one.....I'd know why I'm just asking the same question.....only using a P&Y buck as the intended quarry.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Bartender

Yes I agree pal when it comes to P&Y I would stay up here.
I didnt see that in greg's original post.

I also think with all the killing of doe's during the season which has you going in and out of your property so much the ones that might be there scatter out.
Possible?

T

Old 03-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

Even if you were able to hunt someone elses (HNIer) spot, could you really expect the same results? Why or why not!
I did not see the P&Y qualifier in this question either. It was asked the same results as the person hunting. So inGMMATs case it would be multiple does and a nice buck (score??)..in Gregs case it would be a (what?) 168" buck. And so on..
Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Bartender

Yeah I just used Jeff as an example because 2 totally different area's of the country, sry pal
Old 03-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Dominant Buck

GR8.....If this thread wasn't in direct response to the one I posted recently.....I apologize. If it was....I stand by my answers....because that WAS the premise (had to kill a P&Y buck).

And if it wasn't.......it's a pretty bold statement to say that you do things so much better than anyone who could come to your woods......which is why I posted this on page 1. It would be like saying.....

To think otherwise......is kind of like saying....."I kill more/bigger deer.....not because they're more plentiful.....or because I have better odds.......no....it's because I'm a better hunter than you".

Isn't it???
Again....nothing wrong with that.....if that's what you believe.

This was the original question from the other post....and the inference was made....

If (edited)BILL JORDAN called down to you and told you that you needed to kill a P&Y deer this year.....or he was (edited) BANISHING YOU TO LAKE OCOCHOBEE TO HUNT OUT THE REST OF YOUR DEER HUNTING DAYS.......

............Who's woods (HNI'er) would you want to hunt?

Can't hunt with 'em......or ask them questions......and they won't be hunting there. You'd have access to what they have access to.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Bartender

Jeff sorry man I didnt know this was based on another post, my bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.