Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 OK, what would pro shop owners/employees like from >

OK, what would pro shop owners/employees like from

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK, what would pro shop owners/employees like from

Old 03-19-2008, 07:37 PM

Default OK, what would pro shop owners/employees like from

the Customers?
We might as well cover all the bases here

As for me
I like customers that realize i can't inventory every single piece of archery equipment that has come out in the past 50 years

I like customers that like to talk about hunting, both success and failure

I like customers that appreciate it when I go the extra mile, fix something atno chargeor throw something in that I wouldn't have to.

I like customers that willing to take my dog out so he can go to the bathroom if I am busy working with someone else or on their bow.

I like customers that treat me as a friend. That is how I think of and treatmost of them(there areonly a few I'd rather not see)

So let's hear from some other shop owners or employees
Old 03-19-2008, 07:50 PM

Default RE: OK, what would pro shop owners/employees like from

I like customers who;

Give our shop the benefit of the doubt. Yes, we're a chain store, but I know my stuff (or like to think I do) and treat your equipment as well as I do my own.

Give me the benefit of the doubt. Yes, I'm 19, but that doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm doing.

Don't call me every day wanting to know if their warranty parts, that we ordered two days ago, have made it in yet.

A little off topic, but I had a compliment yesterday that made me feel really good about what I'm doing. After I had finished setting up a bow for a gentleman as well as bows for his two young sons, we were walking to the front of the store to pay for it when he said "Its really apparent that you enjoy what you do. You took time with my sons that not a lot of others would have. I really appreciate that, and you'll definitely be seeing us again in the future." We shook hands and he and his sons left.

I like customers like that. Who appreciate what I do for them and take the time to acknowledge it, be it with a compliment or a hand shake and a thank you.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:58 PM

I'm not in the archery business, but in my own business I want my customers to have reasonable expectations.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

What do you think of making a sign with some of the best responses, including your own, and hanging it up behind the counter? Sort of like a "10 Commandments" sign... but directed at the customers?

If it was worded nice enough, I can see it being a hit... much better than "Take a number" along with the hand grenade pins you usually see.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:11 PM

DON'T ORDER CUSTOM ARROWS 2 DAYS BEFORE SEASON OPENS, and expect to have them tomorrow. [:@]

Have a little patience. Believe me, we are working VERY hard to get you what you want, and what you need. There are things that are out of our control, such as when company X will ship your strings. I know, and believe me I KNOW it's frustrating for the shooter, but it's equally as frustrating for us.

Just come in w/ a good attitude, have some fun. Be lighthearted, joke around, laugh, have a good time.

Oh, and.........we LOVE deer sausage... Or, any food for that matter....

Don't ask me a question you think you already know the answer to. Nothing drives me nuttier than a customer asking a question, I'll answer it (and if I don't know, I say so, then I try to find out) and then the customer tell me I'm wrong. I don't mean that arrogantly, because there are times I am wrong, and I'll admit it if I am. Ya'll know the guy I'm talking about though.

If you don't know how to work on a bow.........don't try. You stand a good chance of harming yourself or your equipment. Had it happen tonight. Young man brings in his bow, in pieces mind you, and says he was trying to add some draw weight.....BUT, he was backing the bolts out!! Ya'll know what happens if that limb bolt comes out too far.....Yeah, he busted a limb, and got upset w/ us for not having one to replace it with right now. He's really not gonna be happy when the warranty won't cover it.

I've made several very good friends via the shop. To me, that's what it's about, relationships. I'll work hard to earn your trust. That trust has to be reciprocal though.

Boy, I just read that and it sounds really negative. Wasn't intended to be that way at all.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like it when customers are strait foward and honest, on the same note I hate it when a customer lies to me in order to try to get ahead,or get something out of us for free. Example we work on our customers bows for free, meaning if you buy the bow new from us (no matter the brand) we do not charge any labor. Now if the bow is bought elseware then yes we do charge for it. It seems like once a month or so we have some joker swears that he bought the bow from us and want us to paper tune it, sight it in, change the draw lenght, install a new string, or accessory that they bought someware else ect, ect. We are a big shop and do a lot of business but still we know who we sold what to so don't try lieing to us.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

DON'T ORDER CUSTOM ARROWS 2 DAYS BEFORE SEASON OPENS, and expect to have them tomorrow. [:@]
I was working over on the firearms side of the house last week. Came upon a guy giving one of our other counter guys all kinds of hell. Turns out he is going bear hunting in Alaska on Monday (this was the Friday before he left) and he had ordered a left handed A-bolt in 338 the previous Monday (thats 5 days....but 4 really as he was there at 9am sharp Friday morning). Moral of the story, if you want it, be prepared to wait for Browning (insert company here) to make it.

OK... wow.... where can I start... I get to vent without reprocussion!

Hereis what I want (or don't want)from a customer:

As a prelude to the list:Customers need to understand that this is a business. This isn't the playground, this isn't the amusement park, this isn't your buddy's house. I'd rather be fishing or hunting myself than working. I enjoy what I do, and nothing makes me happier than helping people and having them bring back pictures full of dead things I in a small way helped them acheive, but I'm not Willy Wonka.

1) Understand that customer service is a two way street. If you come up to me with a chip on your shoulder, I'll give you one right back. If you want to be treated with all the hospitality I can provide, an open mind, open ears and a positive attitude are all I require. I'll bend over backwards to make you happy. But if you are going to be a jerk, don't expect me to kiss your ass. Thats not customer service, despite what most people think.

2) I want you to get what you want. I'm not going to sell you a football bat. But we need to keep the lights on around here too, and I do require a little food now and then, the dog needs his mash, and the bank needs the mortgage. Margins in this business are slim, and while I want you to get a good deal, I don't want to sleep on the street either. Don't ask me for a bunch of free stuff. No I'm not going to give you a dozen arrows because you bought a $300 bow. Asking just proves that customer service is really what the customer makes of it.

3) This is my biggest gripe with customers.... and it happens every day..... DON'T COME IN THE SHOP TO SEE WHAT WE ARE OUT OF TODAY. It never fails. You'll get one old codger (almost always older and wearing velco laced shoes) who will come in, and you'll ask him how he is and if you can help him with anything or if he is in search of something in particular. He'll grunt something about looking around or killing time and wander off for the better part of a hour. He will pick the place apart. 45 minutes later, he'll come back up and say "Y'all ain't got none d'em Mathews bows?" My reply, "No sir, we aren't a Mathews dealer." His rebuttle, "Well why not, y'all don't carry what I want, you got all this stuff and nothing I need!" Just an example. More often its some obscure reloading part, like a set of RCBS dies for a 6.5/.284 or something like that. Ordering what the customer wants is never good enough either.... he doesn't need or want it... he just wants to remind himself he knows more than you.

4) Don't come in the store and run customers off. If you aren't going to buy anything, and I am having a conversation with someone who has asked for my professional opinion, keep your trap shut unless you have something positive to contribute. If you are on the bomb squad and defusing a time bomb, I don't walk up to you and suggest you try cutting the green wire. And don't ever cut me off and suggest the customer go buy something someplace else, or go with a product line we don't carry. I send folks to other places for things we don't carry or haveevery single day.My competitors and I have a great working relationship, and actually give each other discounts on lines the other doesn't carry. As long as you get what you want, I'm happy. But that is my business to send elsewhere, not yours. Sometimes I think people do this just so it can be their turn to be waited on.

5) If you ask for an opinion, expect to get one. I don't BS people. I learned very early on in this business that BSing people does positively nothing for sales. I'll tell you why I think like I do, and my experiences with such things. But don't ask for opinions if you are going to just be arguementative. We have a few members on HNI who are getting pretty notorious for that sort of thing.... and it reminds me of some of the jerk's I've had to deal with, and I feel my blood pressure go up a few points. This ranks right up there with shopping for what we are out of today.

6) If you need help with something. Ask. Its why they pay me you know.

7) Don't come in to have your bow worked on when you have to be back to work in 15 minutes. If you don't have time for me, then I don't have it for you either. Rushed work is crappy work, and I don't do crappy work. I'll be here tomorrow, and the season won't be here for 8 months.

8) Don't bring your kids with you. Especially if you just went next door and got them doughnuts and milk. I hate kids. I know that sounds awful.... I can handle them one at a time.... but a nightmare to me is a kindergarden class. There are lots of things in a gun/bow shop that are delicate and expensive, please, if you can't watch your children, leave them at home... better yet... just leave them at home. I need your full and undivided attention just like your bow needs mine.

9) Don't waste my time. I don't mind answering questions, and I like to chew the fat and swap stories as much or more so than anyone. But don't ask me to shoot every bow in the shop, because I know full and well you have no intention of buying anything. And believe it or not, this isn't an amusement park where anyone who comes in can ride as much as they want. I know when you are serious and whenyou are bored at home.

10) This is another major one.... if I am answering a question, or if I am helping you find something or showing you something you asked for.... next to robbing me at gunpoint the worst thing you could do is answer your damn cell phone. This goes double if there are people waiting for my attention. I don't care if little Johnny crapped in his pants at school again, and neither do the othre three people in line. I'm here to do business, if you are not here to do business, you remember where you came in?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:08 AM

Thank you for the responses! I totally forgot the "bring us food" one. Lots of days I am at the shop from about 9-9. I had 2 customers come in yesterday that brought brats to grill and a donut for my dog (he got some brat too). That's the 2nd weds in a row they have done this. Pretty cool. They fire up the grill, cook them, all I have to do is grab one and eat. I like those 2 guys!
Keep them coming.

It's not that hard to treat customers great
It's not that hard to be a great customer
Old 03-20-2008, 06:34 AM

As a customer: Thank you for being in business!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 AM

Gene,
Pretty sure I can speak for all the shop owners here.
You are welcome
But even more, thank you!

Quick Reply: OK, what would pro shop owners/employees like from

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.