Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Sentimental things in the woods... >

Sentimental things in the woods...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sentimental things in the woods...

Old 03-18-2008, 01:13 AM

Default RE: Sentimental things in the woods...

I used to have sentimental things when i was younger but now i pack my hunting bag with practical items that I will use. I guess the only sentimental thing i have now is that I am using my dad's bow. He killed one deer with it before he gave up bow hunting. Im also using the arrows that he used when he was hunting. As far as the arrows go, I always use the arrow he killed his deer with first. Im holding out on buying a new bow until I kill one with dad's.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 AM

I have a "touch stone" that was given to me by my daughter. It is oval, about the size of a half dollar, red, polished, and inscribed with a buffalo. It rides in my left pants pocket. I've never been very supersticious in the woods, but I've had a really good run, especially gun season, since I started carrying this.

In 08 I'm going to start hunting with a vintage recurve inherited from my domestic partner's father. I liked him, and I'm really pumped about using his bow. It is an Indian Savage, 45#, laminated wood. Probably a low end bow back in the day, but beautiful and functional nevertheless. I don't know if he ever shot anything with it, but I sure plan on it. I tried it out in a shop a couple weeks ago, ordered some arrows, it's gonna be nails.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Old 03-18-2008, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've got tarsal glands from probably the last 10 bucks I've killed - tied to my treestand. I do it with a dual purpose... For one, the real deer scent covers up mine. Secondly, in a weird way, I kinda feel like allthose boys' spirits are still alive - as long as I keep carrying them back home.

The most sentimental thing I do - and this has nothing to do with deer hunting - is that when I go out in the mountains picking ginseng, I carry my great grandfather's seng digging tool. The steel blade on that thing is actually rounded off from 50 years of use. It's like I've got a piece of Appalachian American history in my hands... That tool has picked more ginseng than most people will ever see in 100 lifetimes.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:37 AM

I have an old ugly sweater that I've been wearing when I've killed my last 4-5 bucks... I've had it for 10 yrs or more.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

nope....nothing here
Old 03-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

If it's just a day hunt, no would be the answer.

But if I'm going to be gone for a couple days or more then my daughter draws me pictures to keep in my pack and I look at them at night. Doesn't help me killa bigger buck but makesdaddy feelnot so lonesome...
Old 03-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Took the words out of my mouth. Don't know how sentimental it is but I'm sure glad I have it in the woods with me!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

none right now that i can think of. im drawing a blank
Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 that I never hunt without.

First, my youngest brothers watch given to him by his girlfriend at the time. Then was given to me following his passing away in late September of 2002 just before the start of my deer season that year. I haven't left home without it since.

Second, my wedding ring. I don't usuaully wear it around. I just don't like jewelry too much. But I always wear it when hunting. It reminds me of my wife.. sleeping at home in our warm bed.. while I freeze.. up in a tree.. in the cold and wind and sometimes the rain and the snow.. waiting for a deer.. while she sleeps in peace and warmth.

Quick Reply: Sentimental things in the woods...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.