Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Maine Archery Bear Hunt ??? >

Maine Archery Bear Hunt ???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maine Archery Bear Hunt ???

Old 03-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Maine Archery Bear Hunt ???

I am getting a new bow this year and i was hoping to break it in on a Maineblack bear hunt. So if anybody knows of a good place to go bowhunting for blackbears in Maine I would appreciate it Thanks

Sutton
Old 03-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Maine Archery Bear Hunt ???

ORIGINAL: sutton

I am getting a new bow this year and i was hoping to break it in on a Maineblack bear hunt. So if anybody knows of a good place to go bowhunting for blackbears in Maine I would appreciate it Thanks

Sutton
Why Maine?? Just curious?

Dan
Old 03-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

I live Right here in western PA and It would probably be cheapest to hunt in MAine cause i would just drive and i could bring all the meat home. although if the price was right i would go just about anywhere any suggestions

Old 03-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Yup, go North... to Canada.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I see, and I understand. I went on a couple of cheap hunts, but it was not what I was looking for. I've Bear Hunted Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, &Nova Scotia. I have heard New Brunswick has some reasonable hunts that are really productive, but I haven't been there. There are some Good hunts I could send you on, but really nothing close or cheap. Just do a lot of Home work and call lots of references. This is a Good place to start.

Dan
Old 03-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can highly recommend Turnpike Ridge Outfitters, Don Helstrom in Maine for fall bear and Quebec for spring. He's Mr. Bear, again, I can't say enough good about his business. If/when I go again, it will most likely be with Don.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.hunterspointguideservice.com/

EldonJandreauby all accounts runs one of the best archery camps in the NE.
I'm going the 1st week of Sept - season opens the week before.

Steve
Old 03-15-2008, 01:23 AM

I have never been bear hunting but plan on it in the next couple of years I hope. Anyway I have done a ton of research looking and listening and I would not go to Maine. When I do go I will be going to New Brunswick. Its the same amount of money and you can hunt in the spring when there hungry from not eating for the winter. New Brunswick gets less hunters and its right over top of Maine.I have looked up every outfitter in NB. I have read every post about bear hunts on all the big hunting websites and thats how I'm baseing my decision. Ask the guys on bowsite, marylandwhitetail.com, bowhunting.netand archerytalk about where they have been and where theywould go. Good luck whatever you decide to do.An average week long bowhunt with everything included besides for liscense and bear tag will be around 1700 dollars in NB.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless I was looking for a Spring hunt(I'm not), and I planned th drive (I do) I would not go anywhere but Maine. A lot of good bears are taken every year there and you don't have to deal with the border.

Steve
Old 03-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

I'm also from Western PA, I've hunted twice with Lawrence Dyer and Sons Outfitters in Plaster Rock New Brunswick, once over 9-11 and once in 2004. Great hunt, lots of bears sighted, he routinely takes bears over 300 lbs. with some eclipsing 500 lbs. Unfortunately in recent years, he has also guided Michael Waddell, Ted Nugent, Jimmy Houston, and a few other celebs. His prices have increased dramatically for his hunts, not what I'd be willing to pay again for a bear hunt. I would think if you could find a reasonably priced outfitter in the same area you'd be in luck. As for the drive north, we drove to Bangor, ME and stayed the night in a hotel, had a nice dinner and took advantage of the complimentary breakfast in the AM. We then drove the remaining 3+ hours to camp. Good luck on that drive if gas breaks $4.00 per gallon this summer. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Quick Reply: Maine Archery Bear Hunt ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.