Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do core areas overlap eachother? >

Do core areas overlap eachother?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do core areas overlap eachother?

Old 03-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do core areas overlap eachother?

Forgive the newbie-ish question but I think the answer is yes? Reason is because this year in one of my spots, I saw 3 bucks at different times standing within 30yds from where the others were at one time. 2 were P&Y or near P&Y both during rut. One of those is on my wall. The third is a B&C in late season which is a wall hopeful for next year, which is also the main drive behind this post.

I'm trying to figure outif the square 100yds I'm focusing on belongs to the big guy. And if it does, is it normal for smaller bucks to chance a serious butt whoopin' like the 2 other bucks I saw did?

If I'm seeing small P&Y's cruising, does this neccessarily mean that the immediate area is void of any dominant bucks?

Old 03-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do core areas overlap eachother?

I think they over lap all the time. Just going by what my cuddeback showed me I had 5 different P@Y bucks in a 130 acre woods through out the deer season between Late September and Late October. I thinks its good they overlap, the more competition the bucks have for each other the better for us hunters. This is when rattling works best for me.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, but the deer density and terrain impacts the frequency and intensityof overlapping or lack there of. For example in Steves woodlot he talked about above. 5 different PY bucks in a 130 acre wood lot! Here you may have to look overa 1000acres to find thefavoreable 130acre piece of mountain that held 1 mature buck living solo 11 months out of the yearwith an occasional 1 or 2 other bucks overlapping into and out of his core area.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I think the "dominant" buck depends on who's around at any given moment. I've seen everything from buttons to mature bucks in the same area afew times.

I guess what I'm saying is.....just because there is a dominant buck for that area.....it doesn't mean all the other bucks are going to stay away from that area. If that were the case.....we'd only have the chance to see that ONE buck.

Or so I think[&:]

Old 03-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess my real concern is that I'm afraid that where I'm hunting is just a playground for the youngin's and the one time I saw the bad boy, he was just bored andstrolling through. Then again, would a 300+lb monster really be snooping around if it weren't his turf? It's a sure fire way to get killed, which is unlike a deer of that caliber.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Site Buck Guru

I believe that a mature bucks core area, which is very small in size, is his and his alone just after shedding their velvet until after the rut. However they definately overlap their home ranges.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I believe that a mature bucks core area, which is very small in size, is his and his alone just after shedding their velvet until after the rut. However they definately overlap their home ranges.
two questions Greg? what age do you consider mature in this statement.. because I have watched more 3.5 year old bucks hang and bed with the same 3.5 year old buddy than I can shake a stick at and they do it well into OCt...finally how small of an area do you mean when you say small in size..

here a bucks core living area can be well over 100 acres... big country means big areas... his home range can be up to several miles were he ruts, is pushed by winter snows or travels to and from feed at night or to and from limited water in the summer time..... etc..

I dont know maybe I have the the wrong definition of core area and home range..
Old 03-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

How would you guys go about hunting this buck I'm after?

This is private propertyand the only way into the woods is through the owner's quarter mile smooth paved drive. I don't want to wear out my welcome by hanging cameras and constantly stalking this deer and thus really stalking the land owner too.

A few tid bits about this buck: I didn't see him til the guns were done for a month. He made no appearance during the rut. He was making his way across a man made structure over a drainage ditch when we met. It crosses to another large patch of woods. There was food where he was headed. I believe he will eventually come this route again.

I know that's not much to work with but any ideas besides crossing my fingers?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: shed33
here a bucks core living area can be well over 100 acres... big country means big areas... his home range can be up to several miles were he ruts, is pushed by winter snows or travels to and from feed at night or to and from limited water in the summer time..... etc..
Question for ya Troy. I believe a buck in the farm country I hunt in has his safe zone he goes to when the tough gets going (hunting pressure). I've got neighbors a mile away who see's the same buck I do the very next night on his camera during the rut. Never does he see this same buck I'm talking about in September or early October, only I see him on camera. Just in Late October or early November is when he see's him on camera. It seems once the rut kicks in the small core areas everyone talks about is kinda out the window if you ask me. I think there core area expands allot during the rut unless obviously they have a hot doe in the woods there in. Am I way off thinking like this?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

How would you guys go about hunting this buck I'm after?

This is private propertyand the only way into the woods is through the owner's quarter mile smooth paved drive. I don't want to wear out my welcome by hanging cameras and constantly stalking this deer and thus really stalking the land owner too.

A few tid bits about this buck: I didn't see him til the guns were done for a month. He made no appearance during the rut. He was making his way across a man made structure over a drainage ditch when we met. It crosses to another large patch of woods. There was food where he was headed. I believe he will eventually come this route again.

I know that's not much to work with but any ideas besides crossing my fingers?
Hard to really say. Do you think he is living where your hunting? Has there been any sign of his presence in your woods, huge rubs, etc? Is it possible he was just passing through? So many variables its hard to say. Only you can answer your questions I believe. Good luck with him this coming fall.

Quick Reply: Do core areas overlap eachother?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.