Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String life?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:43 PM

Default String life?

How many shots do you usually shoot before you decide its time for a new set of strings/cables? My Guardian I bought last year around Easter and probably have like 2,000 shots or so through it. I am thinking about getting a new set of Gibblet string, but mine are still in good condition. So how often do you guys change your string/cables?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String life?

I don't have a "set" number, the razortec that I have (or my dad has now) had new strings put on in 05. I shot that bow more than any other bow I've ever had and it still has the same strings and cables and their in excellent condition. I think a lot of string life has to do with how often you wax, as well as what kind of conditions your bow is stored in.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Dubbya

I don't have a "set" number, the razortec that I have (or my dad has now) had new strings put on in 05. I shot that bow more than any other bow I've ever had and it still has the same strings and cables and their in excellent condition. I think a lot of string life has to do with how often you wax, as well as what kind of conditions your bow is stored in.
I wax her all the time.....the string that is! And only the best for the best as for as storing....she stays in my house.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:22 PM

Normally I'll replace the strings from stock over to something better when I first purchase my bow. After that... Every 3-5 years depending on how necessary I think it is. I put a set of WC on my old Jaguar in 2003 and they're still in excellent condition.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

once every 2 years no matter what.......IMO
Old 03-12-2008, 04:59 PM

Once my Bucknastys arrive, I'm guessing they will last several years. Time will tell. I plan on replacing every 3-5 years.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on alot of things, including how "nice" you are to the string. Sounds like you take care of it, but there are other factors:

- when you hunt do you drag the bow around the brush or hang it on a hook ina tree stand?
- do you hunt/shoot in the rain
- do you hunt/shoot in the heat with lots of dust

The issue with trusting the waxing of it is that most strings will break under a serving where you can't wax and can't see. Good strings will last a few years and its a scary thing for many to replace them because you need to totally re-tune everything. Also different string materials can actually make your bow shoot different.

I build my own and the most I will go is 2 years.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:23 AM

Not too talk you out of Gibblet strings, but if you take care of the string w/ wax, and store the bow properly....and the string and cables are in good condition, no fraying or stretching......Yours are just fine. 1 year and 2000 shots is nothing for a quality string.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:31 AM
Bartender

Once a Year regardless if it needs it or not. How often do you wax? My prob also is I have to store my bow in the garage which I am not sure if this is a bad thing during the winter?

Old 03-13-2008, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I just replaced my 05 Alley strings in January of this year. So i'm on board with the 3 year plan. I also shoot alot!

Went with Gibblet's Strings and Cables too..can't beat the service, price and custom look!

Quick Reply: String life?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.