Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question on eye dominance?? >

Question on eye dominance??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question on eye dominance??

Old 03-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Question on eye dominance??

I found out something today with my 8 year old. I had taken him and sat through a two day hunter safety course this weekend. (and he passed by the way ) and found out he was left eye dominant even though he is right handed. I had noticed when we would shoot guns he would always want to use the wrong eye and i did not know why. I was told he should be shooting left handed firearms. However i failed to ask if this would affect his bow shooting as well
sure he shoots one now, but we have not got serious enough for him to try shooting with peeps and a good bow that actually fits him good. My question is will this afect him bow shooting, because right now he shoots one right handed?? Help in Indiana
Old 03-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question on eye dominance??

Yep!! Start him shooting a Bow left handed. I'm left handed but right eye dominant. IMHO it will be more natural for him. Best to startcorrect at first than have to make the switch down the road.

Dan
Old 03-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep he'll need to shoot LH or where a patch. Lucky for you I know a lefty who will be willing to pass along some gear
Old 03-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Yep!! Start him shooting a Bow left handed. I'm left handed but right eye dominant.

Dan
That explains a lot[8D]
Old 03-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep!! Start him shooting a Bow left handed. I'm left handed but right eye dominant.

Dan
Me too. And I concur.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats exactly the answers i thought i would here, the patch was mentioned today also but i dont want him to get started with that. you guys are great Germ, ill remember that sounds like he is going in lefty (dam south paws)
Old 03-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree It will affect him! I am right handed but left eye dominant and I try to shoot right handed I can do it but not as good as left handed!

Old 03-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

I'm left eye dominant and have preferred shooting rifles (right handed models) left handed although I can shoot both ways. When I took up bowhunting I tried it from the left but no way did that feel good. Maybe if I'd started shooting at an earlier age but at that point it was right handed and learn to use my right eye. It didn't take long, a few winks and blinks, and now its pretty natural. Actually it has helped me become more comfortable shooting rifles from the right side. I may see which way he feels best shooting a bow.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is EXACTLY how I was. I guess I made the switch when I was 10 or 11 and haven't looked back since. It's a lot better in the long run (speaking from experience).
Old 03-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

No shooting coach worth his salt would not suggest having him shoot left handed. You'll do him a great justice to get him into left handed equipment.

Quick Reply: Question on eye dominance??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.