Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Suppose it happens more than we think...would you take this shot? >

Suppose it happens more than we think...would you take this shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Suppose it happens more than we think...would you take this shot?

Old 03-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Suppose it happens more than we think...would you take this shot?

As a follow up to the "Would you take this shot?" thread, I was reading through my PA Game News and in the field notes, a story was submitted by WCO Stephen A. Leiendecker titled "Quite a Show," and it read,

A hunter told me that during archery season he heard a ruckus near his stand and then spotted two bucks locked in mortal combat. The larger of the two was a 13-point, exhausted but still alive. The other, a 10 point, had expired.

Interesting that no mention was made on what the hunter did. Thought it was interesting since I had mentioned in that thread about hearing of a story about one buck dragging a dead one that it had locked antlers with. I wonder how long these two had been locked and what the outcome was...
Old 03-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Suppose it happens more than we think...would you take this shot?

This one is a little easier! Being one is already dead I would not hesitate to shoot the other one! Then after I shot it I would contact the G.C. and let them know what happened and hopefully they let you keep them both for the mount, but if I know our G.C. they would want the one you did not shoot that was dead!
Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

As a follow up to the "Would you take this shot?" thread, I was reading through my PA Game News and in the field notes, a story was submitted by WCO Stephen A. Leiendecker titled "Quite a Show," and it read,

A hunter told me that during archery season he heard a ruckus near his stand and then spotted two bucks locked in mortal combat. The larger of the two was a 13-point, exhausted but still alive. The other, a 10 point, had expired.

Interesting that no mention was made on what the hunter did. Thought it was interesting since I had mentioned in that thread about hearing of a story about one buck dragging a dead one that it had locked antlers with. I wonder how long these two had been locked and what the outcome was...
In that instance, the one buck being expired a PA hunter could legally take the live buck. By law, he would have to forfeit the dead deers antlers depending on the WCO whom you called. I would certainly either document it thoroughly and/or call for them to come investigate or the option there of.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya id like to hear the rest of the story
Old 03-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

ya id like to hear the rest of the story
Then call Paul Harvey.

In all seriousness I would probably take the shot as well. Rob, it's funny you should mention forfeiting the antlers. My brother hit a monster 10 point in the early 90s just before the opening day of rifle. I can't remember the WCO who responded and came to our house (after we recovered the deer), but my dad was very close with many of them being a HTE instructor, and he wouldn't let us even keep the deer rack or no rack. I thought it odd. Another instance, my dad dispatched a mortally wounded doe maybe 10 years ago (hit by a car by our driveway), called the game comission and they took that as well.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Spike

hey mat get this one. my buddy and i were going from my house to his house one night and about a mile from his house a 11 pointer was hit by a car and still alive! the cops were there and said that they couldn't shoot it to put it out of its misery? my buddy asked if he ran home to get his shotgun could he do it, and would he be able to take it? the cops said yes but the game commision was called. so we went but when we got back about 10 min later the cops were leaving and there was no deer? they said someone else stopped shot it and took the deer. can anyone tell me why the cops couldn't shoot it?? he made it sound like some kind of law?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: poconobowhunter

hey mat get this one. my buddy and i were going from my house to his house one night and about a mile from his house a 11 pointer was hit by a car and still alive! the cops were there and said that they couldn't shoot it to put it out of its misery? my buddy asked if he ran home to get his shotgun could he do it, and would he be able to take it? the cops said yes but the game commision was called. so we went but when we got back about 10 min later the cops were leaving and there was no deer? they said someone else stopped shot it and took the deer. can anyone tell me why the cops couldn't shoot it?? he made it sound like some kind of law?
You know, the only instance I know of was when a bear was hit as it ran off our driveway hillside. The local township police were on scene first but waited for the game commission to get there before the bear was dispatched. Not sure of any specific law regarding police officers not being able to dispatch animals, but I'm not sure. I'm sure one of the PA guys on here knows.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

When a cop shoots his gun he has a hill of paper work to fill out!

Hatchet Jack