Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is my draw length too long? pic >

Is my draw length too long? pic

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my draw length too long? pic

Old 03-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is my draw length too long? pic

Does my draw length look a little long to you guys? Also how does the rest of my form look? Besides the fact I dont have a field tip on my arrow and only have 1 string silencer lol.

Thanks,

Die Hard
Old 03-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is my draw length too long? pic

nope looks just right to me...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, it is way long! Your leaning back, your bow arm is locked out straight, your too grippy on the bow,
Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks a bit long to me. And I would try to relax my bow arm a little bit.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto what Rob said. Your release is way too long also.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks much like my form with a longer drawlength... and besides no tip on the arrow... are they even cut to length yet???
Old 03-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The draw length of the bow is approx. 1" too long. Maybe a bit more. The release is too long by about an inch. Can't tell for sure but the string loop looks long also. The overall effect is that it has your upper body WAY over extended.

Your left shoulder is too high and you have too much of a grip on the bow, but these can be worked on later. For now get to shortening the bow and release. Once these are adjusted to something near normal you will have to slide the kisser button and peep down the string. Your anchor will naturally be higher to llow keeping the nost on the string.

Don't be afraid to change these things. You're form is absolutely ugly right now and you'll never achieve the accuracy potential you're capable of till you have your equipment adjusted to fit YOU.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:11 PM

I would say you're definitely over drawn, by probably 3/4 of an inch by my estimation.

You're leaning back.

Your bow arm is locked.

You have too much palm into your grip.

Your release is too long.

Personally, I'd work on one thing at a time starting with your equipment and then working the new stuff into your new form. Take the bow into the shop and have the module swapped out. If your bow came with a box of modules (most Martin bows do) it should also have come with a module chart. Find the module that is one inch less than what you're using now. You may be able to swap it without a press, but once and awhile you'll find one of those screws right behind the limb and you won't be able to get to it without pressing it.

Next, trade that release in for one with more adjustment. You can adjust it down so that your hand ir further forward on your face and you won't have to reach quite as far with your finger to trigger the realease. You'll be able to learn/apply back tension with a more adjustable release as well.

Once you've got the module swapped out have the shop help adjust your peep to fit you again. Don't try and adjust your head to see through it where its at now, adjust it. You'll save yourself a lot of headache and help prevent poor form habits from getting worse.

With a shorter draw you'll likely be able to work on unlocking that bow arm. A slight bend is all you need, just enough so that you aren't forcing your forearm into the path of the string. Also with a shorter module you should straighten up some as well.

After all that, work on rotating your hand so that you have less palm into the grip.

Start with getting the equipment to fit you and then work on YOU. But... I'm really just a novice at all this, so I'll let someone more experienced/wiser give you better advice. Thats just where and how I would start out.

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Check here:

Hopefully we'll have a bunch more contributors soon........

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2675457

Old 03-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Yes, it is way long! Your leaning back, your bow arm is locked out straight, your too grippy on the bow,
Yep!! Way too long.

Dan

Quick Reply: Is my draw length too long? pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.