HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Would you take this shot? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/235801-would-you-take-shot.html)

8pt~Bowhunter 03-04-2008 04:29 PM

Would you take this shot?

Would you take this shot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVfHSgPiDLo&feature=related

Splitear_Leland 03-04-2008 04:33 PM

RE: Would you take this shot?

Man, I don't know, that's a tough question.

buckmaster 03-04-2008 04:33 PM

Im just up here on the fence

Rob/PA Bowyer 03-04-2008 04:35 PM

That's a very tough call because that was a very nice buck. The other thing that needs to be considered as far as PA goes is, I have one tag and I'll have to cut the other bucks antlers off to recover my deer plus,

it's obvious they were not going to free themselves so they both would eventually die a horrible death so chances are,

Yes, I'm shooting the bigger of the two and taking my saw and seperating the two.

mnbirddog 03-04-2008 04:35 PM

Yeah, but I would hope for a different outcome. Like they seperate and the other buck runs off.

Schultzy 03-04-2008 04:36 PM

Yes I would if I was close enough, a friend of mine did it this last fall on a pair of bucks locked up. Awesome video!

GMMAT 03-04-2008 04:38 PM

Yes. And if I have the extra tag and the second buck stands still long enough (ethical shot)...I'd shoot him, too.

Nothing wrong withwhat I sawat all.

FLbowhntr 03-04-2008 04:41 PM

Yes and like Rob said probably take some lumps trying to seperate the other one.

gzg38b 03-04-2008 04:45 PM

Man did anyone notice the blood that broadhead sprayed? That's insane. I wish they all bled like that. Unreal.

MGH_PA 03-04-2008 04:46 PM

Seems the video recieved a lot of negative comments from "hunters." The quality of the footage is terrible, but from the looks of it, they weren't going to free up very easily. IF and it's a BIG IF, they did, great, and sure if I KNEW they would unlock, no I wouldn't shoot them in that siutation. However, most likely they wouldn't, and like Rob said, their end would involve a whole lot of suffering. I would shoot one, free the other, regardless of tags...not sure why regardless of tags, it's just me.

MeanV2 03-04-2008 04:50 PM

There are options. Is that considered Fair Chase? I think I would go another route, but that's me.

Dan

Geronimo 03-04-2008 04:51 PM

I'm with GMMAT....Take them both out and save a lot of grief for you and the animals! The bureaucrats can stand in line and ******* my ****** if they don't like it!!!!

KodiakArcher 03-04-2008 04:51 PM

No question and I don't care how big or small they are. Either you shoot them and they die relatively quickly or you leave them and they die a long, agonizing death at the hands of starvation or coyotes. I'd hate to be the one trying to saw them apart if one was still kicking; so if it was a one buck area I'd call a buddy to shoot the other (I'd even take the smaller one). Fair chase or not, it's just the right/humane thing to do.

MGH_PA 03-04-2008 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

No question and I don't care how big or small they are. Either you shoot them and they die relatively quickly or you leave them and they die a long, agonizing death at the hands of starvation or coyotes. I'd hate to be the one trying to saw them apart if one was still kicking; so if it was a one buck area I'd call a buddy to shoot the other (I'd even take the smaller one). It's just the right thing to do.
Good point on bringing another person into the situation for the second buck. I suppose getting up to the other one would be risky, but I assume the other would tire eventually (however, I think I read a story a while back about a buck that was found dead that had been interlocked with another one that had died first and it drug the dead one with it for quite some time before succumbing to it, so it may be a long wait). There are other options (game warden to tranq them and split them up as well). Not trying to come off as a anti or anything and I can't even say what exactly I would do in those shoes, it's just that there are other options other than shoot both, or don't shoot both.

GMMAT 03-04-2008 04:55 PM

In my scenario (the way I answered) there is no legal dilemma. I live in a 2 buck state....and we can legally take 2 in one day.

buckmaster 03-04-2008 04:57 PM

THink about this.... think if you could keep both bucks? What a mount that would make!!! think of the price too.[&:]

P.S. I know its not about the horns, its about the deer, im just saying.

KodiakArcher 03-04-2008 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

but I assume the other would tire eventually (however, I think I read a story a while back about a buck that was found dead that had been interlocked with another one that had died first and it drug the dead one with it for quite some time before succumbing to it, so it may be a long wait).
Chances are that the second buck would die of the stress if it reached that point of exhaustion. It's a very real problem in tranq'ing them as well, the cardiac stress kills them later.

8pt~Bowhunter 03-04-2008 05:10 PM

Where I live, I'm only allowed one buck per day, and a max limit of three bucks per season. I think If I saw them, I'd probably shoot one, and call a friend to shoot the other one. The chances of this happening where I huntare very rare...:D

twildasin 03-04-2008 05:13 PM

Being they were locked and not coming apart obviously. I would shoot the bigger one. I would then attempt to cut the antlers on the other deer free if he was still alive when I came back with a saw. Hel I might get killed by the other one trying to saw his horns off. Thats just a bad deal there all together. Its one of those deals where I can honestly say I hope I never see but then again would be neat to see if they would come unlocked after the shot!

jmccoy_77 03-04-2008 05:16 PM

Yeah, the chances of that happening around my neck of the woods is slim too. It's awful hard to get two spike bucks locked up!

grneyemonstr 03-04-2008 05:18 PM

Wasnt there a guy who shot a deer who had locked antlers with another deer. One deer died for a broken neck or something like that. he shot the live one and took both deer in? I think the picture was on here. Was that the same deer?

Rory/MO 03-04-2008 05:21 PM

i would probably shoot the bigger one, and try my hardestto free the other one

AR Bowhunter 03-04-2008 05:25 PM

Yes I would, some how I would see that the one that I didn't not shoot would go free.

TurkeyT 03-04-2008 05:29 PM

By the looks of it they aren't going to free themselves. I live in a one buck state and would take the bigger of the two an call my hunting buddy to take the other or help free one of them hopefully without getting hurt.

rybohunter 03-04-2008 05:29 PM

I only watched once, I thought the one was dead already????

I am suprised it hopped around for as long as it did.....Maybe that was the other one still hopping?

blackfish 03-04-2008 05:29 PM

I,d go get my chain saw out of my truck cut one horn let them run away I don t want a trophy like on the other hand I would not blame anyone for shooting one or both.Heck around where I live the deer drivers will shoot the whole family till the guns empty makes me sick.You want to talk ethics

TeeJay 03-04-2008 05:38 PM

Yep!

ORIGINAL: 8pt~Bowhunter

Where I live, I'm only allowed one buck per day, and a max limit of three bucks per season. I think If I saw them, I'd probably shoot one, and call a friend to shoot the other one. The chances of this happening where I huntare very rare...:D

MASTERDIVER 03-04-2008 05:44 PM

Good question. Both great deer.

davidmil 03-04-2008 05:51 PM

Nope, I don't think so. There are ways to separate them. A rope a saw... it's done. Just seems like shooting a penned in critter to me.

MGH_PA 03-04-2008 06:21 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I only watched once, I thought the one was dead already????

I am suprised it hopped around for as long as it did.....Maybe that was the other one still hopping?
The deer he shoots is about a 1/4 to 1/2 way through the video. You see the arrow go in and then the blood in the water. It's at that point that deer goes limp...I believe...I only watched it once, and I'm on a fairly slow high speed internet connection (I know...oxymoron...but if you've had satellite internet, you would understand), so I'm not waiting for it to load again, lol. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Hoytail Hunter 03-04-2008 06:38 PM

I'd shoot as well. What are the chances you will ever see that again in the woods? It'd probably be the end all story if you lived in a 2 buck state and had these guys both up on the wall.

nybowhunter 03-04-2008 06:58 PM

It did not appear to me that the alive buck could get free.Choice is kill the 2nd buck or not....Either way when I first looked...no doubt I would shoot. After I saw the video, it makes you think about the consequences if you make that shot.

IMO...legal or notI would be forcedto shoot them both because:
1. I can't see anybody cuttting the atlers off without getting hurt.
2. The buck that is alive will suffer if you do not kill it.
3. I always hunt with a friend that has a license

So, shot them both and enjoythe huntwith a buddy!

SwampCollie 03-04-2008 07:00 PM

I found two very nice (both would have made the book) 8 pt deer locked together and dead in the pond behind the farm house this past fall. To be honest, assuming those deer could not separate (and I had to remove the heads and saw off a face before I got the two I found apart... no way they were coming loose)... assuming that, he did them a favor. No telling how long it takes a deer to die from exposure/starvation when encumbered by another deer.

In a situation where I found one or both of them stuck together and still alive.... hell I don't know what I'd do. Probably call the game warden and ask for advice????

loogout1 03-04-2008 07:00 PM

Yeah, I gotta shoot one of them just to get them free. Like was said, what a horrible death it would be for one or both if left to their own destiny. I live where you can shoot more than one buck in a day so I would do whatever I had to do to keep it as humane a situation as possible. My stomach actually flip flopped when he shot 'cause I was afraid the other one was going to drown, and I definitely didn't want to see that type of suffering. Call me crazy, but I see some pretty f'ed up stuff at work as far as peoples suffering and injuries go but it doesn't have anywhere near the effect on me that a suffering animal does.

MOmightymite 03-04-2008 07:09 PM

We get two bucks tags here in Missouri, so that is an easy question for me. I would have taken both out and gotten a locked buck mount done like what was at the Illinois deer classic.

millerhunter13 03-04-2008 07:12 PM

i wouldnt shoot em even though i dont have a problem with it, i would have some how try to get them free. I dont know it depends on the state too;)

JoeRE 03-04-2008 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Just seems like shooting a penned in critter to me.
I agree 100%, but I would still shoot it, and get someone else to get the other one asap. I would not do so in the spirit of hunting however, it would be euthanizing it as far as I am concerned. After freeing a trapped buck this past fall I never again will get in close proximity to a scared wild animal of that size again, its asking for trouble. Just end its pain/terror quickly.

Armybowhunter28 03-04-2008 07:28 PM

I wouldnt take the shot unless I have two tags or a friend of mine with me to take the other one.

bigbulls 03-04-2008 07:50 PM

I would call a few friends to help with removing part of the antlers to free both of them alive. As exhausted as both deerwould have beenit could be done and has been done. Just a few months ago there were pics of two bull elk locked up and the game warden was able to freeboth elk alive.

I'm not going to sit here and argue with everyone about it but that was pretty pathetic IMO.

The dead deer at the end was the one that was shot. Both were alive at the begining of the video.

ABarOfSoap 03-04-2008 07:55 PM

I would only take the shot if one was an albino ;)... i dont know though, thats pretty a cheap shot to take, maybe if they were stuck together for a long time i would.