Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best state to live in? >

Best state to live in?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best state to live in?

Old 03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best state to live in?

We get to hunt +/- 140 days here in NC for (basically): Whitetail Deer; Wild Turkeys and bears (Largest blck bear ever taken by a hunter was taken in NC). We have coyotes in all 100 counties and "may" have an elk season in the future (we have wild elk in our mountains right now......but they're protected). We also have bobcats and many small game species.

But.....the beautiful thing about NC is......I can be in the mountains in an hour (Appalachians). We can be on the beach in a little over 3 hrs. We shot outdoor 3D in shirt sleeves on March 2nd (yesterday). It was 73 degrees, today.

I was born here.....traveled all over the US......and I won't make any crazy declarations.....but I will say that I live in one beautiful place....and I'm proud to call it "home".
Old 03-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

ORIGINAL: shed33

hard... sounds nice..

what Big game species can you hunt there???

here.. Whitetail, Mule deer, Elk, Moose, Mountain Lion, Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goats, Black Bear, Bobcat, Turkey,Yotes, (wolves are being delisted) so soon Wolves, Antelope...
Bobcats aren't considered big game here but we can hunt them. We have wolves too but they are protected. Tons of yotes too.
Elk, mule deer, coues deer, whitetail deer, antelope, Bighorn sheep, Barbary sheep, Ibex, Oryx, Black Bear, Mountain Lion, Turkey. That's 12 species, sorry for the miss count.
Good luck hunting these! They are nick named the (grey ghost). Very very challenging!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

I gotta say I love living where I am, in San Diego, CA. Born and raised here. I have most of my extended family in Iowa and Washington. I could live in Washington but not Iowa. Hunting here is pretty slim, Dove hunting in the desert is a blast, there is some Turkey hunting in the mountains, and if you are more hardcore than I am you can chase mule deer if you draw (good luck on either).The fishing is really pretty good, and if you are talking about the whole state, then the Trout fishing in the Eastern Sierras will rival any other place in the country. There is some beautiful country up there, but it is also 8 hours.

South Western Montana as some people already said is an incredible place too. I have been up there quite a bit in the past 4 years for both work and play. God's country with real people is a nice change for me and the family and we are blessed to be able to visit there often.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 PM

DON'T MOVE TO ALASKA!!! It sucks up here, you'd hate it!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

We get to hunt +/- 140 days here in NC for (basically): Whitetail Deer; Wild Turkeys and bears (Largest blck bear ever taken by a hunter was taken in NC). We have coyotes in all 100 counties and "may" have an elk season in the future (we have wild elk in our mountains right now......but they're protected). We also have bobcats and many small game species.

But.....the beautiful thing about NC is......I can be in the mountains in an hour (Appalachians). We can be on the beach in a little over 3 hrs. We shot outdoor 3D in shirt sleeves on March 2nd (yesterday). It was 73 degrees, today.

I was born here.....traveled all over the US......and I won't make any crazy declarations.....but I will say that I live in one beautiful place....and I'm proud to call it "home".
Yea but do you guys have the cool weather like we do here in MO where yesterday it was 75 degrees and tonight we are supposed to get 4-6" of snow. Gotta Love Missouri!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

NY State has everything. Mountains, Oceans, Great Lakes. I'm content here. Ice fishing in the winter,Turkey hunting in the spring, Boat fishing on Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakesthroughout the year, Small stream wild trout populations to Lakerun fish,Deer hunting, Bear hunting, Waterfowl hunting, Hiking, Skiing...there's more, but I'd be exhausted naming all of them.If not NY then I would say Montana like so many others have on here.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I had to choose one state to live in? Hmmm....."BLISS"!

I will retire in Colorado and Texas. I'll spend Summer and Fall in Colorado, Spring and Winter in Texas. I'll treat both states as my base camp.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:37 PM

For availability of public land for big game hunting, Colorado would have to rank way up there. However, the population has grown so much in the last twenty years that I'm now beginning to look at the possiblities of returning to New Mexico, or maybe considering a look at Wyoming. For warm water fishing, Texas would be hard to beat. For cold water fishing, and all around hunting, Alaska has it all; but at my age, the cold dark winters would keep me away.

Regards, & Good Huntin',
LlindeX
Old 03-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

NC is for me i have been a lot of places once your in dixie you never want to leave
Old 03-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I moved to NC from Fla in 97 and if I were to move again would settle into a western state - but for now NC has everything I need and want

Quick Reply: Best state to live in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.