Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Brace Height ???? >

Brace Height ????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Brace Height ????

Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 PM

Default Brace Height ????

I have always read over the years that you want at least 7 inches of brace height for a forgiving bow. A lot of today's speed bows have a 6 inch brace height. Does this mean that they are a little less accuratefor the average bowhunter? What are the other drawbacks to the shorter brace height other than arm slap? Does the new technology with the Stealthshot, STS, and MeanV systems kind ofeliminate a lot of the problems of the past with the short brace heights?

I've always tried to stick with bows with at least 7 inches bhjust because of the stigma attached to the shorter bh bows. But I recently justpurchased a PSE X-Force with 6 inch bhon an impulse buy because the price wasright. Never actually shot one yet other than theDream Season 7. Just wondering if there really is a big difference in forgiveness and accuracy?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Brace Height ????

For the most part, yes, longer brace height equals a more forgiving bow... not necessarily more accurate. More forgiving meaning that with inconsistancies in proper form a shooter can achieve better results. Shorter brace height (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) allows for more string travel which allows for faster bows. When you have more string travel your arrow is in contact with the string for a longer period of time which makes the entire "shot" more critical. STS style systems (for the most part) aren't designed to counteract a short brace height... more of a vibration reduction system.

With proper form you shouldn't notice much difference in accuracy, but it may be more critical of proper form.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:17 PM

Dubbya nailed it.

(Power stroke, may be what you were looking for.)
Old 02-29-2008, 06:11 AM

Thats a good ? I was wondering the same thing. thanks
Old 02-29-2008, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Dubbya nailed it.

(Power stroke, may be what you were looking for.)
yup

Old 02-29-2008, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dubbya

For the most part, yes, longer brace height equals a more forgiving bow... not necessarily more accurate. More forgiving meaning that with inconsistancies in proper form a shooter can achieve better results. Shorter brace height (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) allows for more string travel which allows for faster bows. When you have more string travel your arrow is in contact with the string for a longer period of time which makes the entire "shot" more critical. STS style systems (for the most part) aren't designed to counteract a short brace height... more of a vibration reduction system.

With proper form you shouldn't notice much difference in accuracy, but it may be more critical of proper form.
exactly the longer the arrow is on the string the more you have to be consistant while it is traveling. but more distance on the string the more speed .there is always some comprimise with bow componants
Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also keep in mind, as a general rule of thumb, shorter DL archers can get away with shorter brace heights than those with the longer DLs, as the arrow is not on the string as long with a shorter DL and short brace height compared to a longer DL and the same short brace height, thus yielding a more forgiving setup than the long DL archer. Actually having a shorter DL coupled with a shorter brace height will allow that archer get more out of the power stroke.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:58 AM

Technically this is correct and it's a cool theory, but I don't buy it. I personally believe that anything you did to the shot you did before you released the arrow, unless the arrow or the string hits something on the way. Arrows leave the bow waaaaay too fast for us to actually mess anything up during the shot. I think what most feel happened during the shot actually occurred just before releasing the arrow, not while it was leaving the bow. If you are using a fingered release the arrow is gone before you can even get the finger off the trigger or register that the shot has happened. We simply can't react that fast. Any motion that could effect arrow flight or aiming was already started before the arrow left.

Brace height does effect string slap though depending on how your grip/form is, how big your arms are and how many clothes you are wearing. Which is why having a generous amount brace height is nice on a hunting bow. And the STS devices will help with that. However I thought the idea was to have the string NOT hit anything, not have it hit on purpose? But I guess I would rather have it hit consistently than just sometimes or to varying degrees.

When I look at a bow I am more concerned with reflex and riser length rather than brace height. If I look at two bows and one is 320 fps and the other is 330 fps but one has a lot of reflex to the grip and the other doesn't I'm picking the one with less reflex even though it might have a bit less speed, or even a lower brace height. Reflex will effect forgiveness because it helps induce torque into your grip. And I like a bow with a long riser as well, it seems more stable to me than one with a short riser and long limbs.

My opinions anyway.
Paul
Old 02-29-2008, 08:19 AM

It depends, most bows now-a-days have string stoppers on them preventing the string going past 6 inches. It is true the longer the arrow is attached to the string the more unforgiving the bow is. Think about it this way. At 10 yards your arrow flies straight (pretty much for all those nit pickers who bitch about every comment) but at 30 yards the arrow has had more time in the air and there are more/longer lasting elements effecting the arrow. If you are a new to the sport stick with a brace height above 6.5".
Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 AM

It's actually the opposite. The longer an arrow is in the air the more stable it becomes, until it slows down significantly. Inside of 10 yards the arrow is still trying to stabilize depending on how well the bow is tuned and the fletchings you pick. Most should be pretty stable by 10 yards though. The only thing that is really going to effect the arrow longer yardages is wind drift. And that is going to be depend on other variables besides time in flight.

I would really like to see someone prove to me that power stroke effects forgiveness. Let the bow get triggered by remote and have someone try to mess up the shot. The arrow will be in the target before they figured out it was gone. Of all the thigs that can effect forgiveness I would put power stroke and brace height pretty much at the bottom of my list. Right above lining the fletchings up with your blades probably.

Paul

Quick Reply: Brace Height ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.