Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antoher ethics situation >

Antoher ethics situation

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antoher ethics situation

Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Antoher ethics situation

First of all, I know this is a bowhunting forum, but some of you gun hunt as well. My all-time favorite hunting is with my bow, but here is an ethics question.

Let's just say you were a non-resident hunting in Pike County, Illinois. You've paid a ton of money for a lease as well as over $400 for your deer tags. You are allowed 1 buck with a bow and 1 buck with a gun, regardless of size. You have limited time, so you are only hunting the last week of bow season before the first gun season starts and you will also be gun hunting during the 3-day season.

Situation:
You successfully took a buck with a bow during the first few days of season. Since you have a tag for a doe, you are allowed to be in the woods with your bow and it comes down to the very last day of bow season, right before gun season. During the final evening of the last day to bowhunt, a "dandy" buck comes in. Would you let an arrow fly, leave him lay over night, and recover him during the first couple hours of the gun opener the next morning? Or, would you abide by the law and let him walk and hope that he makes an appearance in the next couple days?

I know that this is illegal, so a lot of people will not break the law no matter what, but what would you honestly do?

Or better yet, you have not yet taken a buck during the bow season and its the last day. You put an arrow through the vitals of a buck with an hour left of daylight. 10 minutes after that, another buck comes in that meets your standards, would you shoot him too and like the previous situation, let him lay overnight and tag him with your gun tag the following morning?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Antoher ethics situation

BTW, I have never done this, nor have I ever been in this situation...but I'm just curious what you all would do!

Remember, this is Pike County, IL...and these bucks are giants. Also, assume that you will NOT get caught doing this and you do not have to tell your fellow leasers about it either. You could fire a shot during the gun opener and tell your friends that you shot him with a shotgun!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

No, I would not break the law no matter how much money I paid.

If I knew some non resident came and did that, I'd turn their arse in, in a heartbeat. I don't care how ridiculous the fees are,they don'tjustify your WRONG actions.

Am I clear on this?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Would you do it if you knew you would be caught?

Here's an ethics question

Would you steal something, anything if you knew you would get away with it?

These "ethics questions" are really getting ridiculous

What is the point of them? To find out if it's OK to throw your personal ethics out the window because others have? Personal ethics are just that, personal. If you aren't sure what yours are then these "ethics questions" won't help you.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

If I knew some non resident came and did that, I'd turn their arse in, in a heartbeat. I don't care how ridiculous the fees are,they don'tjustify your WRONG actions.

Am I clear on this?
Would you go 1 mile over the speed limit? LMAO I thought I would say that and get it out of the way
Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

A good friend of mine sums it up perfectly. Only do what you can afford!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Hey...I'm just trying to see what other people would do out there. I cannot afford to hunt in IL anyways, but my answer is also, NO, I would not break the law.

As far as speeding, I break the law everytime I get behind the wheel!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

Am I clear on this?
Would you go 1 mile over the speed limit? LMAO I thought I would say that and get it out of the way
Okay, let me clarify the answer for the straw-man folks. In the question that was asked... I would not break the law.

Do I speed? Yes, but I sure as hell wouldn't try to justify it before a judge or anyone else that it was okay because I paid a lot in toll fees, taxes and for a truck with a 6 liter vortec engine.

Btw,I'venever driven while intoxicated,I don't steal and I even try my best to be honest on my taxes. Sheesh.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

If you answered honestly you would be attacked on this thread.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:43 AM

Well Mr. Game Warden I just shot this buck this morning I have no idea how he got so stiff so fast. We either play by the rules or we don't play.

Quick Reply: Antoher ethics situation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.