Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For or Against Mandatory Bowhunter Education >

For or Against Mandatory Bowhunter Education

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
In favor of a Mandatory Bowhunter Ed course
70.19%
Oppsed to a Mandatory Bowhunter Ed course
29.81%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

For or Against Mandatory Bowhunter Education

Old 02-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: For or Against Mandatory Bowhunter Education

I completely my basic Hunter's Safety Course when I was 12, so I have done that. I'll be new to bow hunting this upcoming season and I would GLADLY take a course. I had fun with the basic HSC. It was only a 3 day course and on the last day we had a cookout, shot, shot clay pigeons, just had a good time with it.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

I had to take a mandatory bowhunting education class for some special permit bow hunts. I have been hunting for 28 years and can honestly say I didn't learn anything new.

However, I think there should be a mandatorytest that you can take and if you pass you don't have to invest 8 hours of classtime plus the drive time. If you can't pass the test then you need to take the class.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Fork Horn

Though I am typically against any more government intervention in anything we do I will agree on this one.
I had posed this question last year when the husband of a client of mine borrowed a bow 3 weeks before the season and stuck 2 bulls not recovering either one of them.

So add me in the yes category.

Rogue
Old 02-26-2008, 04:37 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

In the class I teach the majority of the course is spent teaching hunter ethicsand how to improve us as hunters image to the non-hunting public who in reality hold our hunting lives in their hands. 10% of the population are Hunters, 10% are Anti-Hunters, and the other 80% are non-hunters who vote and control weather we hunt or not. One wrong move on our part can turn a non-hunter into an anti-hunter. We will never change the minds of the antis but we can prove to the non-hunters we provide a valuable service to the community and show them we as a majority are good law abiding people. Not beer guzzling law breaking rednecks like the anti's like to make us out to be.

The other large part of the course is going over treestand safety. You'd be amazed at the number of people who do not use safety harnesses at all, or do not know how to use their treestands in a safe manner.

Of all the people I have taught in the 3yrs I have been teaching not one said this course was useless. And they all said they atleast took one thing away from the class.
PA Hardwoods - I echo your comments. It's been several years since I have taught...
---------------------
It's amazing how many folks are not aware of the concerted campaign against bowhunting.

Realize folks that only aminiscule fraction of peoplebowhunt and that that we do not have a constitutional or God-given right to bowhunt.So what converts someone who doesn't care about bowhunting into an anti? - it's NOT the anti's...Bowhunter Educationwill helpprevent theanti's from taking bowhuntingawayfromus,and us bowhunters fromgiving it to them...

-fsh
Old 02-26-2008, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Goodgrief

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

If we did our jobs as parents and mentors there would be absoloutely no need for hunters ed.

I agree!!!

Furthermore, I think the stipulations in many areas are a bit overblown and make little if any sense on who need to have had hunter's safety, etc. Can't remember what state it is now, but one of the states doesn't require a HS course if you were born before 1961 or something ridiculous like that. I can understand such a stipulation, but does the average 47 yo have any advantage over the average 45 yo as far as knowledge goes??? I think many of these requirements are little more than an "appeasement" for those who are AGAINST us anyhow!!!!

It's not as ridiculous as you think. If you are implementing a brand new program, you have to have a cut off somewhere. How it worked was, in order to gun hunt you had to be 14, they started the program (hunter safety)in, I think 1975, where if you wereborn before '61(this is important) and have already "drawn a hunting tag" (Fall '74,) then you don't have to have hunter safety, you were supposedly already a vet. If you were born" before '61" and "didn't already draw a tag prior to the start of the course", you would have to take the course. Any body born after '61 has to take the course. So basically, all veteren hunters born before '61 didn't have to take the course.
Yes, IT IS, because that age stipulation proves nothing if someone has never hunted prior to that date 32+ years ago. In Ohio, last time I checked the age was 25 I think. I believe that as well is stupid, because there are many adults who are 35 who are idiots, and many I know who are 20-24, that are very intelligent and responsible people. Most of Hunter's Ed is common sense. I've actually considered taking the "Bowhunter's Ed." course, but I do NOT believe it should be mandatory, unless it is made mandatory for NEW hunters, or "young" hunters say under 21.

Unfortunately, the 8hr class really isn't going to change a LOT in most people. Hell, I know an instructor that intentionally head shot a deer with a bow, then went on to say he'd never advocate it in a class, be he see nothing wrong with it if you're "good enough." That make him one of the people, that I WOULD NOT, be heading into the woods with.

Charlie's for the most part got it right, but when it comes to young kids or new hunters who've never been exposed to hunting, I see it as a good thing, but still not something I think ought to be MANDATED. In my busy life, if you mandated a course on me, and gave me half a dozen dates the rest of the year, without missing work, or forcing my wife to miss work, I might not be able to make any of the dates you gave me. If there's an ONLINE course, someone send me the link, I WOULD be interested if it's something I can do on line, because I get plenty of opportunity to get online and do things, but I don't have many opportunities to load up and go somewhere for 8 hours and take a class, especially during normal daytime hours since I work night shifts and LONG stretches.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 AM

I think it is a good idea, lots of people out there that have just enough knowledge to make them dangerous. The course I went to was very helpful and also just reinforced some things I already knew. I always like to learn new stuff. The most important things they talked about were stand safety, shot placement, and blood trailing.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Goodgrief

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

If we did our jobs as parents and mentors there would be absoloutely no need for hunters ed.

I agree!!!

Furthermore, I think the stipulations in many areas are a bit overblown and make little if any sense on who need to have had hunter's safety, etc. Can't remember what state it is now, but one of the states doesn't require a HS course if you were born before 1961 or something ridiculous like that. I can understand such a stipulation, but does the average 47 yo have any advantage over the average 45 yo as far as knowledge goes??? I think many of these requirements are little more than an "appeasement" for those who are AGAINST us anyhow!!!!

It's not as ridiculous as you think. If you are implementing a brand new program, you have to have a cut off somewhere. How it worked was, in order to gun hunt you had to be 14, they started the program (hunter safety)in, I think 1975, where if you wereborn before '61(this is important) and have already "drawn a hunting tag" (Fall '74,) then you don't have to have hunter safety, you were supposedly already a vet. If you were born" before '61" and "didn't already draw a tag prior to the start of the course", you would have to take the course. Any body born after '61 has to take the course. So basically, all veteren hunters born before '61 didn't have to take the course.
Yes, IT IS, because that age stipulation proves nothing if someone has never hunted prior to that date 32+ years ago. In Ohio, last time I checked the age was 25 I think. I believe that as well is stupid, because there are many adults who are 35 who are idiots, and many I know who are 20-24, that are very intelligent and responsible people. Most of Hunter's Ed is common sense. I've actually considered taking the "Bowhunter's Ed." course, but I do NOT believe it should be mandatory, unless it is made mandatory for NEW hunters, or "young" hunters say under 21.

Unfortunately, the 8hr class really isn't going to change a LOT in most people. Hell, I know an instructor that intentionally head shot a deer with a bow, then went on to say he'd never advocate it in a class, be he see nothing wrong with it if you're "good enough." That make him one of the people, that I WOULD NOT, be heading into the woods with.

Charlie's for the most part got it right, but when it comes to young kids or new hunters who've never been exposed to hunting, I see it as a good thing, but still not something I think ought to be MANDATED. In my busy life, if you mandated a course on me, and gave me half a dozen dates the rest of the year, without missing work, or forcing my wife to miss work, I might not be able to make any of the dates you gave me. If there's an ONLINE course, someone send me the link, I WOULD be interested if it's something I can do on line, because I get plenty of opportunity to get online and do things, but I don't have many opportunities to load up and go somewhere for 8 hours and take a class, especially during normal daytime hours since I work night shifts and LONG stretches.
Maybe I didn't say it clear, but I'll try again. If you were born before 1961 and have legally hunted (show the tag) then you were (by law) considered a experienced hunter, so no mandatory "safety" course. If you were "also born before 1961" and HAVE NOT LEGALLY HUNTED ( don't have a tag) "you also have to take the course." Anybody born "after" 1961, was at most 13 years old, in 1975,so they couldn't have hunted legally and show a tag, they have to take the course. The point was, and is, any new hunter from 1975 to present day, MUST take the hunter safety course, in order to buy a license. No matter their age. Now whether you believe in the mandatory course or not, thats your view. But, that cutoff date had nothing to do with intelligence at a certain age. Please don't take the capital letters as yelling, I'm not, I was trying to make the phrase stand out do to it's importance in the discussion.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I said no and here is why. The state of MN makes me go to school and carry enough licenses just for work I dont need another. Her is a list

Sewer installer
Sewer Designer
Sewer inspector
Truck inspector
Underground storage tank removal
Demolition facility operator
Overhead crane operator

I am sure I forgot a few also, no I dont need advanced bowhunter ed.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Against...do we have mandatory football education classes for little kids?...and how many football related deaths do we have in this country as compared to bowhunting fatalities? I could go on and on why we should not have it but I think my football example settles it.
wouldnt you call football practice manditory football education. at my school they didnt just let anyone take the field you had to attend practice. they teach plays how to hit properly where to each postition goes and does on the field. everything we do had a form of education behind it.

I am for it provided those of us that are already self educated be grandfathered in and it should be rolled into each states hunters saftey course so it is one class.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, my state requires it so Im kind of used to it already being implemented as "mandatory". Its really not that big of a deal to take the course and it certainly cant hurt excpet for taking an evening class or 2and your done for good. If it could potentially save 1 person from being injured or worse inany state than why not.

Quick Reply: For or Against Mandatory Bowhunter Education

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.