Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I freak out!!?? >

Should I freak out!!??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I freak out!!??

Old 02-23-2008, 10:46 PM

Default Should I freak out!!??

Ok, I weighed my arrows today with tip and all. I shot the PSE weave radials 200 series last season and now I moved up to the 300 series. My pro shop guy said both arrows were fine to shoot out of the X Force @ 73# 26" draw. Well, this makes my arrow only 24" long, the 200's weighed a whopping 300 gr!! tip included!!! The 300's weighed 344 Gr with tip. the tip is 90 gr Muzzy for both. This is still under weight for that much pull, I know the chart says that spine is ok for both arrows, but shouldn't I be shooting at least a 350 gr arrow with that much pull? I know I can go up to a 100 gr with 300 series and be fine, I just would like to keep the speed that I have now. However, I don't want to damage my bow, is 344 enough or still too light? Man that guy pisses me off. Help me out guys.[&:]
Old 02-23-2008, 10:51 PM

Default RE: Should I freak out!!??

under 5 gpp is where you get into warranty issues, and possibly health issues, lol. It can be done, Quicksilver shoots much lighter arrows out of his HCA bow, i think....but i personally wouldn't do it. Heck i shoot over 7 gpp.

Bump up the BH weight to make you over 5 gpp. It will be a minimal loss of speed, greater FOC and slightly higher KE for better penetration. Double check to make sure the new BH weight doesn't throw off your spine.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:55 PM

You think going up 10 gr on the BH will affect the spine? How?
Old 02-23-2008, 10:58 PM

oh no, 10 grains wont make a difference, unless the spine is already off, then it could compound the problem...If your on now, 10 grains wont throw you off.

EDIT: keep in mind, im still learning all this stuff too. I am not the person to ask about this for an official answer. I have been living on Ontarget2 lately though, and am beginning to get the feel for spine adjustments. It has actually helped my accuracy, simply by tweaking my arrows and DW to get optimal spine.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:04 PM

According to the PSE chart, I can shoot the 200 or the 300 series as far the poundage Im pulling, but what do you think about weight issues I have, 344 too light?? I was shooting 309 fps with the 200's, Since I went up to the 300's Im sure I lost at least 4-5 fps, not a big deal, add the 10 gr BH, maybe lose about 4 more fps, still around 298-300 fps, is fast enough for me. I honestly only care to shoot fast enough to have one pin to 25 yds and not have deer jump the string.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:12 PM

If your worried about string jump, use aheavier arrow and really quiet down your bow. I wouldn't worry to much about speed and arrow drop. Especially inside 25 yards.My guess is that you could group thenew arrow setups exactly where your current arrows are hitting. 10 grains will not make a noticeable difference inside these short hunting distances.Atleast not for the average bowhunter like me, I'm no Olypic Archer...Thats for SURE! Heck i can use one pin to 25 on my bow and im shooting low 270s with my 481 grain arrow.

IDK if there is a problem with your weight or not, I would personally change it simply because of warranty issues...But then again, if something messes up, whos to say you didnt use arrows over 5 gpp?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:28 PM

Hey I really appreciate your time bro, I know it's late, but I couldn't sleep thinking about it, I just hope I didn't do damage to the bow from all the shots I have taken since Aug!! I think I will talk to some of the other shops and all, but I do see me going to at least a 100 gr BH, according to the charts, I need to be shooting a 365 gr arrow for the 73# pull..
Old 02-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

at 73lb you need to be shooting an arrow weighing atleast 365gr to meet the 5 grain per pound minimum for most warrentys...

will the 21grs make a difference to your bow or your own saftey? i have no idea...i spend too much on a bow...and my life and body and eyes etc are all too important for me to risk...

dont know why the shop keeps selling you arrows that are all goofed up...they should know with that short of an arrow and that heavy draw that weight will be an issue....

quik and some others that shoot under 5gr per pound are shooting the HCA iron mace(or other bows) that are rated to be safe shooting arrows under 5grs per pound of draw weight....

best option i see for you is to drop the poundage and play it safe....or do nothing and hope all goes well....or get yet more arrows...i still cant figure out why a shop would send you out the door with arrows that arent upto the 5gr per pound....just seems odd to me....
Old 02-24-2008, 12:04 AM

Sorry to jump in here but I was kind of wondering the same thing that vabowman was. But the minimum weight for me is 325 and at 365 I am perfectly safe. Now, is that sufficient for cleanly taking a Whitetail?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:48 AM

M77, absolutley. It is fine to shoot deer with, I do know that.

Quick Reply: Should I freak out!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.