Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Legendary Bowhunters POLL >

Legendary Bowhunters POLL

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Howard Hill
6.48%
Fred Bear
54.63%
Chuck Adams
13.89%
Ted Nugent
9.26%
Bob Foulkrod
2.78%
Dan Fitzgerald
2.78%
The Wensel Brothers
4.63%
Ron Laclare
0%
Massey
0%
Other (Who else other than yourself?)
5.56%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Legendary Bowhunters POLL

Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Legendary Bowhunters POLL

Don't forget Will and Maruice Thompson who were a couple of generations before Pope and Young. Maurice wrote Witchery of Archery as a series ofarticles for Harpers Bazaar magazine. The articles dealt with their adventures 'by field and flood' with longbows. They were complied into a book and published in 1879. Very odd reading, when compared to our legalities and sense of ethics these days, but a fascinating look back at hunting in the late 19th Century.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fred Bear gets my vote for the top spot with Howard Hill right behind him!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fred Bear for sure!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Ive been gaining alot of respect for Fred Eichler. IDK why. He seems like a really cool guy, and he just completed the North American Super Slam with all Trad gear. THAT demands respect!!

He obviously isn't on the level of Fred Bear or Howard Hill, but a good hunter none the less.
I've only been bowhunting <3 yrs. But Fred Eichler is top notch in my book. I didn't/don't know these other guys the way some of you do.....but I'd ask what the others mentioned have on Fred.....other than they came before him???

Jimi Hendrix did some cool things on the guitar (pioneer)......but he's nowhere NEAR beng one of the all time "bests".
Old 02-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dude, you seriously put Dan Fitzgerald in the same poll with Howard Hill and Fred Bear?[:-]
Old 02-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd like to hear about the well accomplished non-pro bowhunters out there and what they've done, and even more so the DIY public land types, the guys that didn't pay $20k to shoot a 350+ elk...somewhere...etc....I think any pro could have a great career. Last time i heard it was 8, but now I think its probably 15+ bowhunters have ever completed teh grand slam of NA. Chuck was the first to do it I believe. This is pretty impressive. I just read an article of the first guy doing it with traditional archery gear... Basically I wanna know about the successful avg Joes out there the guy with a 350+ elk, a few awesome whitetails. That too are you impressed with a guy who shoots 1 of everything on earth but they're just dinks.....or do you like the guy with fewer trophies but everything in his collection is a real trophy!?
Old 02-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Dude, you seriously put Dan Fitzgerald in the same poll with Howard Hill and Fred Bear?[:-]
I was thinking the same thing, and he got two votes[&:]

To me it's the guy who brought bowhunting to the masses, and that would be a MI boy named Fred Bear. He fought for an archery only season. He knew to expand bowhunting we needed are own season.

Most guys on this list benefited and became who they are because of Fred Bear. That demands RESPECT!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most guys on this list benefited and became who they are because of Fred Bear. That demands RESPECT!!!
[/quote]

Amen!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Fred Bear is the man in my book.I must laugh at some of these other guys on the list though. You can sure tell the people who have been bowhunting the longest or really know their stuff when these polls get started.
Dan Fitzgerald, give me a break!

Darrall Dougherty

Quick Reply: Legendary Bowhunters POLL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.