Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gun seasons in OK... WHY?!?!?!?! >

Gun seasons in OK... WHY?!?!?!?!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gun seasons in OK... WHY?!?!?!?!

Old 02-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gun seasons in OK... WHY?!?!?!?!

I have a question and would like to vent for just a second... please bare with me and offer any suggestions you might have.

A couple of times a year (at least for the last two years) the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife puts out information about what they're doing to, "increase the quality/number of mature [bucks] deer." Everyone would like to do that, it's a no brainer... Last year they changed the legal number of bucks from 3 to 2. That's great, I'm a 100% supporter of that decision, but I think there are other ways that would be more beneficial. What I don't understand is why they refuse to move the rifle and muzzle loader seasons out of the rut.

The muzzle loader season is a 9 day season that runs basically the last week of October into the first couple days of November. Then, a week and a half later, the two week rifle season starts as the rut is in full swing. Tell me if I'm wrong here, but the way I see it... they state that they want to "increase the number of mature bucks," while at the same time they allow any buck to be taken at their most vulnerable time with a firearm! Am I way off base here or does that seem a little contradictory?

For instance, lets take Kansas and Iowa... two of the states that produce LOTS of monster deer year in and year out. Neither of them have a gun season during the middle of the rut. I understand that genetics/habitat have a lot to do with the quality of deer, but the last time I checked Kansas was Oklahoma's northern border state. I guess I just don't understand their methodology...

Anyone have any opinions, am I way off base here?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Gun seasons in OK... WHY?!?!?!?!

Write to your DNR man...it's a money game for them, thats all they care about.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

I totaly agree with you, I have wondered why other states havnt done this as well. This last seaon was problely the last I will hunt because I am getting transfered. Ft Sill produced some monster bucks this year and you can only take one buck during the rifle season but the bad thing it is during the rut. The amount of mature bucks taken this year on Ft Sill was astonashing. They say it was the best season in a long time. I just think if they would keep the gun hunters out of the rut they would have many season like it. But I understand what you are saying.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:59 PM

Dustin I agree with you totally. It doesn't make sense to me either. It is like PA throwing a rifle season and a muzzleloader season right in the middle of archery season. It just doesn't make sense.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, you're not off base at all. What they're doing is wanting to increase the number of quality bucks but at the same time make as much money as they can. Me and you both know that it doesn't work that way. If they can continue to pull people off of their couches and buy the permits to hunt during the firearm season, then that's what they'll do.

I'm sure that you guys have the same types of hunters that we do. There are guys that won't hunt all season, but as soon as our 6 day "buck week" comes along you'll see guys that haven't hunted since last year's 6 day season out there in all of their brand new orange looking like Elmer Fudd only to put their Carharts and shotgun away until next year to do it all over again. And they call themselves hunters! But the state wants their money and as long as these guys continue to buy their license the state will take their money.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dubbya

I have a question and would like to vent for just a second... please bare with me and offer any suggestions you might have.

A couple of times a year (at least for the last two years) the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife puts out information about what they're doing to, "increase the quality/number of mature [bucks] deer." Everyone would like to do that, it's a no brainer... Last year they changed the legal number of bucks from 3 to 2. That's great, I'm a 100% supporter of that decision, but I think there are other ways that would be more beneficial. What I don't understand is why they refuse to move the rifle and muzzle loader seasons out of the rut.

The muzzle loader season is a 9 day season that runs basically the last week of October into the first couple days of November. Then, a week and a half later, the two week rifle season starts as the rut is in full swing. Tell me if I'm wrong here, but the way I see it... they state that they want to "increase the number of mature bucks," while at the same time they allow any buck to be taken at their most vulnerable time with a firearm! Am I way off base here or does that seem a little contradictory?

For instance, lets take Kansas and Iowa... two of the states that produce LOTS of monster deer year in and year out. Neither of them have a gun season during the middle of the rut. I understand that genetics/habitat have a lot to do with the quality of deer, but the last time I checked Kansas was Oklahoma's northern border state. I guess I just don't understand their methodology...

Anyone have any opinions, am I way off base here?
well thank you!!

and i do agree with you. We have a one buck 3 doe tag and during rifle season i see maybe 1/5th of the bucks i see during bow season.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BrentH243

Write to your DNR man...it's a money game for them, thats all they care about.
Brother, I have a whole folder full of very nice professional letters and emails that I've sent and not once have I EVER received any type of reply. I can't win.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dustin I agree that it sucks. I also agree that while the DNR wants more quality bucks around they don't want them at the expense of less hunter dollars in the states coffers. Imagine the outcry from the gun hunting crowd if the state told them they can no longer hunt the rut. My father in law grew up outside Antlers OK. on the res. My wife and I,( She has a BIA ID card),have been looking at land in that area. I hope to find something we can afford that is huntable. I will be the first to join in in getting the season changed but I think it will be a long row to hoe. The state makes more $$ from the firearms crowd so they have a bigger voice in the capitol.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

What's really sad is that we have to have the government impose more control and restrictions so we can have better herds. Kind of like my kids saying "ground me so I'll have to study and make better grades". I've never had a problem passing on small or young bucks, even if it meant no deer or only does for the season. I would assume this matter would indicate the majority of gun hunters don't share the same philosophy. If it was a small number of hunters taking young bucks it doesn't seem like it would have that much impact. I would think antler restrictions would have a more positive impact in producing better bucks. Seems like that is what they are turning to more here. Just reducing the number or bucks you can take isn't going to stop hunters from taking young bucks.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:22 PM

I think your right on with what your saying....On opening day of rifle season in OK the rut is going hard and any "Joe Blow" can go kill a buck....and thesad part is they do..not that killing a buck is a bad thing, but there are lots of bucks taken that will never get the chance to be mature...I agree with what your saying, and I think if date of our rifle season ever didchange (not that I think it will) we would see better management and more mature bucks

Quick Reply: Gun seasons in OK... WHY?!?!?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.