Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shed hunting...... >

Shed hunting......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed hunting......

Old 02-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shed hunting......

I've been shed hunting 3 times this year on 2 different plots of land I have to hunt. One is 45 acres and the other is roughly 100 or so. I've put some serious miles in with my dog looking for anything. I get very discouraged after not finding anything and then give up for a week or so until one of you guys come on here and say that you just found a whole mess of sheds on your last trip out. Then I think about the property and where the deer bed and get all excited and head back out looking. Today was the first walk on the 45 acres. I didnt hunt it last year so I dont know much about it but I went out with the dog today and walked for about 2 hours. Hiked through the thickets and followed deer trails and came up with nothing except a beaver skull that had been picked pretty clean. Not sure exactly where it came from but it was still pretty bloody and frozen. The nearest swamp is about a half mile away. Am I doing something wrong or could it be that there just arent many bucks around here? Also I am in Upstate NY, Albany County if that helps. I would image that most if not all bucks have dropped by now.

[/align]
Old 02-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shed hunting......

You may not be looking in the right spot. Check bedding areas, and wheat fields and other food sources. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

[/align]Forgot to add that. I found some nice bedding areas also. One area was a little stand of white pine in the middle of a brushy field. There were probably 10 beds in this stand of pine. Question, will bucks bed with does now? We dont have enough snow for the deer to be "yarded" now so I'm not sure if by looking in these bedding areas is a waste of time because its just does and fawnsand the bucks are still in solitary. Or are the bucks back in bachelor groups?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have always had a tough time finding sheds in the timber. I spend most of my time cover food sources. The way I have always looked at it is, the deer need to feed a lot this time of year so I figure I have a better chance finding sheds where they spend a lot of time. Heavily used creek crossings are also a good bet, as are apple orchards. I love standing corn if you have any around still, try to think about places where the deer spend a lot of time, or where they could come into contact with things that will "help" them lose their antlers. Don't get down on yourself, there are times where I will walk 4 or 5 pieces without finding anything and then once day you just hit pay dirt. Keep looking!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shed hunting can be very frustrating, you can put some major hours and miles in and come up with nothing, then turn around the next day, walk in a woods and be holding a shed within minutes You just have to have some major patience, learn to look for the tips of the antlers and not just the whole thing. Location is a factor to, where im at,we arestill seeing them carring full racks, March is the best time for my area for high percentage finds, there are some on the ground but finding them is a bit harder early. Sounds like your looking in the right places but maby the bucks are bedding/feeding elsewhere. Im finding out that open areas like set aside fields and crp are great places to find sheds, crop fields are great to. look in areas between bedding and food sources to where they travel to and from. check where they jump fences and ditches. I try and look at this way, even if im not having any luck, im getting good exercise, its better than sitting around the house You can get alot of good scouting in for the upcoming season and just flat enjoy being out there, im sure your Dog is enjoying the time with you as well Patience grasshopper and good luck
Old 02-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

i am still getting about 75% of bucks on trail cams with both antlers, but that is in Illinois......i dont know if they shed earlier in NY or not.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:25 PM

Ive found 1 antler so far this year and it was in the city by my house, Ive checked 3 different properties that I might hunt next year so far this year, one is 170 acres, one is 240, and the other is 200, I have come up empty handed so far after about 20 hours total on those properties, It's frustrating when you think you have checked every food source and bedding area and everywhere in between and still find nothing. At least with the snow on the ground I can see where the deer are moving and narrow down my searches for the next time out. I'm saving my main 40 acre place and my 160 acre place I hunt for march, I dont have to worry about anyone else getting to the antlers before me, plus I dont want to bump any deer off before they shed.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

My other thought on it is say for the 45 acre piece there might be 2-3 bucks there (and I think I'm aiming high). Thats only 6 antlers that will hit the ground and those bucks may not be on theproperty when they drop. Where you guys are having most of your luck are you in an area where you know there are multiple bucks there all the time?

[/align]
Old 02-14-2008, 03:57 PM

I have fond one this year looks like he was coming out of bedding or going to bed
Old 02-14-2008, 05:51 PM

Sounds like you have about the same luck as me...for some reason its just reallly hard for me to find sheds

Quick Reply: Shed hunting......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.