Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 wondering what its like in the real world of hunting >

wondering what its like in the real world of hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wondering what its like in the real world of hunting

Old 02-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: wondering what its like in the real world of hunting

I get nervous when i see anything over 100", but my area has deer all the way up to 180". And the biggest ive seen is between 140" and 150"

And here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03tsKu-ONtg
Old 02-12-2008, 01:25 PM

I didn't even see a racked buck this year from the stand..... How is that for real world hunting? Would make a boring show though!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

100 plus 8point or better!

Hatchet Jack
Old 02-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a little tired of these hunting shows that show these guys killing all these monster bucks
I'm with you!
I'd much rather watch some realistic hunting than thesebait plot, private deer farm stuff. Never really learn anything from them, I hope someone starts making videos for the common man. You know get out there and do things on your own type stuff, where it doesn't cost a fortune to shoot a good buck."or I just might
I understand your point and I am not trying to defend all hunting shows. There are some I really like, some that are okay, and some I don't watch for reasons as you've mentioned.

Having said that, do you really think a show that involves shooting a bunch of basket racks and does is going to get the necessary ratings in order to secure sponsors?

There is a reason that most TV shows star young and good looking people rather than middle aged, overweight ugly folks. Why? Because people prefer the former-same way in regard to hunting shows- big bucks will get the ratings regardless of the method.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used to love to target big bucks, was obsessed by it...Also chased big bass...

After having 3 daughters and having my dad die when I was 20, I started realizing that it was as much work as a job...I would take the kids fishing and they hated it...Once I got back to having fun and enjoying the outdoors I realized that the fun was in watching and teaching others that were not fortunate enough to grow up in the country where you can walk out your back door and start hunting...

I'll still arrow a big buck if he walks by...But I'm no longer obsessed...Frankly most of the "big" bucks that I see aren't really that big...So I find myself talking myself out of taking the shot because I want to see what he will be next year...Most guys around here will shoot any buck with a rack on him...

This year, I shot 8 does and one buck...

Does eat our beans as well...
Old 02-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

I didn't even see a racked buck this year from the stand..... How is that for real world hunting? Would make a boring show though!
Thats kinda how my season went. Seen two bucks on stand this year. And if i made a hunting show my show would be the worse one ever made!
Old 02-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Dominant Buck

People think I must see a lot of bucks.....because I see a lot of deer. I saw EITHER 4 or 5 different bucks, this season.....a total of 17 buck sightings (3-4 ea 1.5yr olds and 1 ea 4.5 yr old).....out of 207 total deer sightings.

How's THAT for "Real world"?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to say any racked buck and the does too really... Get my blood pumping. Otherwise why go right.

In my area I've seen two bucks that were better than 150.

One I had at 12 yards athreeyears ago. I saw him again the next year. The first time I blew it and never got a shot. But what a memory. Then I was walking out the next year and he was walking the other side of some brush we ended up almost bumping into each other. Never even had a chance to hunt. No clue if that buck is still alive.

The other I saw this year during gun season. (see my avatar) I know that deer is dead
The first I believe was bigger. Maybe my memories playing tricks but I dream of that buck still today.

I had one other nice buck Probably 130 range. I had him at 25 yards and was at full draw. I was afraid of small limbs I couldn't see and didn't take the shot. He walked around a bunch of brush and was headed towards me when he caught me moving. I hadn't seen him turn my way. (Its pretty thick there)

Other than that every buck I have seen is under 100".

I don't care realy. Like others I used to get realy obsesive about getting a big buck or just a buck. It got to be a burden. I still love going but I try to enjoy it more.

Anyone who tells you they wouldn't care about shooting a big buck is lying to you. We all have that in the back of our minds as hunters. Everyone thinks about it. Just some worry about it much more than others.

I think all areas have potential for big bucks. I used to think you had to go to Kansas or something to get a truely big buck. But they are around if you can outsmart them.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 5575gb

Pheasantfanatic
I'm glad your trying to do some videos like that BUT... The first thing I see when I go to your web site is a big add for the HUNING LEASE NETWORK!

Glad to see young guys like yourselves getting out there thou!
Good luck!
HLN just leases land for hunting. I could go out and lease a property right now, and no one but me could hunt it. I could do some quality management on it, and make a really nice hunting spot out of it. I don't see anything wrong with leasing, just guys going to outfitters and not having to do any scouting, and still shoot a big buck for TV.

Plus, my partner in the webite and his dad work for HLN. That is why we are sponsored by them. But that doesn't mean we get to hunt on the properties, uh-uh, we still have to go out and get permission to hunt on people's land, which is the way I like it.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would be real happy with a 120 around here although I have never seen one.

Quick Reply: wondering what its like in the real world of hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.