Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 wondering what its like in the real world of hunting >

wondering what its like in the real world of hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wondering what its like in the real world of hunting

Old 02-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wondering what its like in the real world of hunting

A 100" deer is good for my area as well....if you see an 8 pointer within bow range, you need to seriously consider arrowing it, basket or not.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes I do fall for the big buck envy, but then I look around at all the blessings I have and figure who cares about big bucks. As a wise man once said, "Life's a garden. Dig it."
Old 02-12-2008, 12:09 PM

i personaly dont care about the size of rack i just go out to enjoy the outdoors and get meat in the freezer

Old 02-12-2008, 12:12 PM

I think 140" is very realistic for most parts of WI, although I'm not holding out. I pretty much shoot anything.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:15 PM

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

Pope and Young.

Hard work and peristance.

It's possible, anywhere.
Thats pretty much my standard as well. Which may be why im going into my fourth year bowhunting without a buck yet.[&:] In my defense, last year was the first year i took it seriously.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

Pheasantfanatic
I'm glad your trying to do some videos like that BUT... The first thing I see when I go to your web site is a big add for the HUNING LEASE NETWORK!

Glad to see young guys like yourselves getting out there thou!
Good luck!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too am so tired of these shows I'm going to cancel my subscription the the hunting channels. I have lost so much respect for these guys some of whom I used to read their stories in the mags and think I wish I could hunt like them. Now I see that someone else does all their scouting stand placement checks the wind and drives them to their stand. all they do is make the shot. And believe me if someone was paying for me to shoot every day supplying all the equipment I wouldn't miss many shots either. I have more respect for a kid who goes out and does his own scouting and stand placement makes a shot does the trailing and comes home with a little skipper. At least he did it all himself. Hunting shows blah they can keep them
Old 02-12-2008, 12:33 PM

When I lived in Iowa yes I would see 3 or 4 B & C bucks a year and 125 inchers were a dime a doz in southern Iowa. Getting sat up on one and getting a shot was another thing. I live NE now I havn't seen a B & C buck in four years and a 125 inch buck is hard to come by.
Heres one of my Iowa buck 167 incher

Old 02-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I'm a little tired of these hunting shows that show these guys killing all these monster bucks. I have seen some nice bucks over the years but I have never seen a true booner in the wild. What do you guys see? What size buck would you be excited about ending your season on? For me it's 130+
I have seen 6 B&C class bucks in the areas I hunt. 3 in Ill and 3 in Wis., I've shot 2 that gross B&C (170 and 180 class). I've seen all of them in the last 20 years of hunting, none in the first 20 years. Some areas that I hunt a 125 would be a good deer that I'd shoot and other areas a 145+ is what I'd hold out for. I'm not afraid to eat tag soup for bucks because I feel I've gotten my share of them and I can usually get my fill of does for the meat. This means that I don't lower my standards towards the end of the season, just to get a buck. For the last 3 seasons I've slowly raised up my goal from 130s+ to 145+ because I know that they're out there. It usually means limiting myself to the top 3 or 4 bucks in my spots though, but I know they're out there. Last year ('06) I had my chance at a 150+ 8 pointer and blew it. But then I shot a buck that I thought was a clean 5x5 I had been seeing (another one of my goals) but it turned out to be a freak horned 5x4 I had never seen before. Cool buck though.

I'm excited to end my season on whatever buck triggers my fancy no matter what size he is.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input eveyone. It's nice to see what others are seeing and what they expect from their hunts. Lets here from more of you!

Quick Reply: wondering what its like in the real world of hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.