Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Starting your kids with Archery???? >

Starting your kids with Archery????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Starting your kids with Archery????

Old 02-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default Starting your kids with Archery????

I was wondering of those of you that have kids when did you start them with there first bow(age, kind of bow ect). My son is 4 and my daughter is 5 they both want to go hunting with me now. I didnt start hunting untill I was 17 and I started on my own because my dad didnt hunt. I want to start them off right but I just dont know how to. I would appreciate any help I can get from y'all.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Starting your kids with Archery????

around 5 or 6 with your basic youth toy bow. When they get a little older but not old enough to hunt, try borrowing a friends youth bow if you can find one, they grow out of the things so fast it will make your head spin. and when its time they start hunting, invest in there own
Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

Get them with a toy bow until they get probobly around the age of 6 or 7. Like bloodcreek sais theyll grow out of stuff fast so borrow or rent a youth bow first until they get to where you think there ready and get them there own. This might be a little far ahead but when they do get old enough try to get them something like a Fred Bear youth series. Thatl start them off good.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Way back when, probably when I was abround 5 I started shooting a bow. It was a fiberglass recurve with a draw somewhere around 15 lb. Way before compounds came out. My uncles archery hunted and there was always hay bales set up behind my grandparents house. They taught me the basics and I shot almost every day. And I carried that bow and a quiver full of arrows almost all the time running around the woodlot shooting at opportune targets. Stump shooting they call it now.
I say get them out and start them off as soon as you can. And until they get the proper form down, be sure they wear those arms guards. That string slap can really hurt those little forearms. If you're unsure about how to instruct them, I'm sure your local archery shop can show them. Its good for business.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:20 AM

I started when I was like 6-7. My nephew is just starting at 8 and he loves it and is good. Robinhooded an arrow days ago! Kids tend to be really fast starters!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

I Started my son at age 6.He's 8now and loves the bow I bought him. The bow is aBrowning Micro Midas, its a very nice youth bow that they can grow into. Adjustable draw length of 18" to 27". It is a little pricey, but if it lasts him until he gets hunting age.... then its worth it.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

My son started around age six. I don't believe in toy bows or giving the toy bowidea to youngsters. There are some decent bowyers around that make childrens bows with a very light draw weight. Whatever you do keep if fun for them and don't get them overbowed. Below is my son at age 7 with a fiberglass bow, age 8 with his mothers recurve, and then at age 11 with his self bow that he and I made.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:06 AM

I will be picking up my sons first bow along with my new sb xt in 2 weeks, i got him a whisper creek phantom. It has 9 to 30 lbs draw weight so i figure it will be something he can use for a while. They cost about $150 or a little more but comes with arrows puiver rest sight arm guard all, im hoping he likes it he is really excited about getting it.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

My son started at 6 got him a Hoyt Banshee at 7and got him in the saturday league at our local shop and shooting in the back yard. Insructional league,that really helped teach the basics, my son sometimes would get frustrated if he didn't think he was pleasing Dad he put undue pressure on himself. So it was nice to have someone else show him and then I helped him with other stuff. Plus the one guy is a national champ and his intructors are all state champs.

My son is 4 and my daughter is 5 they both want to go hunting with me now.
Take them especially scouting. That way they can learn about sign and the habitat and it peaks their interest. When you take them hunting you have to change your mind set some. You won't be hunting hard with young kids and they will want to move some and it's a good idea to have a secondary area,because they tend to not be able to sit for long peroids.

Taking the kids hunting got me out of hunting racks and made me just shoot deer for awhile. Couldn't let one walk whenI was with my son because it was very important to both of us that we took one together.When hegrunted in a 4 pt I was shooting it, tous that was huge.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Thank you to everyone for all the help, I am going to start looking into some bows for them nothing expensive but something that can they can start with.

Quick Reply: Starting your kids with Archery????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.