Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long can you hold at full draw? >

How long can you hold at full draw?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long can you hold at full draw?

Old 02-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How long can you hold at full draw?

With a compound bow one of the big advantages is you can hold at full draw for a good amount of time. This is a nice advantage for the hunting situation. The other day we started practicing holding at full draw for a comfortable period of time and then makingthe shot at a 20 yard bullseye. I held for 90 seconds without a problem. Has anyone else ever tried this?
Old 02-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How long can you hold at full draw?

that seems like forever im sure when your the one holding that long eh! I have not tried it myself for extended periods but a guy showed me a little trick for holding along time but it requires a slight movement. When your at full draw drop your anchor hand down to your upper chest just below your chin and tuck your elbow tight to your side.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say not very long right now due to a recent shoulder surgery. I need to get my muscles trained and built back up!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

yes I also practice at holding full draw for a long time, sometimes I will even practice stopping a moving deer with a bleat and making a quick shot. Things like that I usually don't work on much until it gets closer to hunting season though. This time of year I'm usually just working on my form and shooting tight groups, but once it gets to like september I shoot less arrows, but try to shoot different hunting scenerios.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find that when I hold at full draw for long periods of time, that I tend to shoot high....I try to make sure I hold my pin a little lower than normal when I have been on full draw for a long period of time...I always wondered if anyone else had this happen.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

i try not to hold for more then 1 minute otherwise my shots do come up a little
Old 02-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

2 mins and I still will hit the kill zoneat 30 yards. I do this every year before the season starts.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

80% letoff allows you to hold full draw a lot longer than was possible before

Dan
Old 02-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Another addition to these practice sessions would be to concentrate on making the very first shot count! Remember in bowhunting, we rarely get a second shot so, IMHO, the first shot of every practice session is the most important.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

Another addition to these practice sessions would be to concentrate on making the very first shot count! Remember in bowhunting, we rarely get a second shot so, IMHO, the first shot of every practice session is the most important.
Hold on target, shoot one arrow, then go and get it from the target. One shot!

Quick Reply: How long can you hold at full draw?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.