Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 02-09-2008, 03:37 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-09-2008, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the most difficult animal you've ever bowhunted ?

Allthe hunting I take part inis DIYon moderately to heavily pressured lands that aremostly public withvery little private andno baiting of any typeallowed except for bears. I've bowhunted elk, whitetails, black bear, antelope, and turkey. Lopers, which I just started bowhunting in 07.

Hands down, imothe most difficult to bowkill is an old big-woods whitetail buck that livesonpressured forestlands. Hes got huge ground to roam, feed/water in every direction with no main feeding destinations and more room to hide outinthan Bin Laden. I've had the opportunity to scout and bowhunt agricultural lands and river bottoms on a limited basisfor whitetails, pattering deer in these areas was easier imo than in the forests. The private ag land and river bottoms I hunted had feeding destinations mostly alfalfa/Oats and they didnt recieve as much pressure, the deer moved much more during daylight hours and on a more consistent basis.

Second, I would say the antelope, even though I only have done it one season which was 07, spot and stalking those buggars on public lands wasnt easy with a bow. Water was not a factor where I hunted them since there was water dispersed in every canyon, draw and many rivers and tributaries were in the area too. Those skittish buggarscoupled withthier great eyesight; trying to stalk them is a challenge! especially the stud bucks with lots of does.. All those extra eyesreally protect those bucks. I do think lopers would be a biteasier to patternwere there is little pressure and the water is sparse.

Third or even tied with the lopers..., a mature bull elk with a herd of cows.. real tough to kill in a big woods/pressured setting.. younger bulls not so difficult, they are much more vulnerable to make a mistakeand more tolerant than an old bullduring the rut. The terrain they live inis rugged and thick.. big bulls in this country really care nothing about coming to you when they have everything they want for the most part and they use thier cows as sentinals. The guys that really understand elk vocalizationand know what to say to them in and around the herd..do the best on herd bulls because the dont run them out of the country...

Bear with bait.. piece of cake..in this country.. bear spot and stock with a bow and no bait.. little different story..

Turkeys with abow, tough too.. they have to rank up there with elk but not as difficult as a herd bull...

I've killed all of the above with a bow except for an Antelope.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:22 AM

im going to have to go with turkrys. there eyesite is crazy.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

A MATURE Canadian (Bow Zone)whitetail is at the top! These deer see very few humans, except the occasional farmer. They are much more intolerant of odor/activity than other whitetails that I am used to hunting. They are truely in a class of their own. JMHO
Old 02-09-2008, 06:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Turkeys.

If God called down and said...."Jeff....you've gotta kill a turkey or a deer by Saturday....or I'm coming to get ya".......I'd go deer hunting.

Hunting turkeys with a bow is hard, for ME.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had a tough time with a bat flying around my house once. I found that very challenging.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Believe it or not,a zebra continues to elude me. I've tried spotting and stalking them for a total of 42 days in Africa -as a daily target of opportunity. AsAfrica's "default" animal (what do I mean by this? If you see a dot on the horizon, chances are it's a zebra), they're very difficult to approach with a bow. They live among the impala, springbok, blesbuck, etc. Eyes are everywhere! Getting close enough for a bow shot is extremely challenging! They rarely come to waterholes during daylight hours.

Axis deer would be my second choice. Then Antelope and blackbuck...
Old 02-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

sika deer they are so unpredictable. Plus their size and terrain doesnt help either!
Old 02-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

At this point in my hunting career it is elk. The area I've been hunting is a steep wilderness area. The trailhead is at 9000' and we usually get into the elk at 10,000' and follow them uphill all morning topping out sometimes at 12,000'. I'm 48 now and keep in great shape but this is very rigorous hunting. I love every minute of it!
Old 02-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Site Buck Guru

Although I've never done it, my father and his friends used to hunt pheasants with recurves and flu-flu arrows. That sounds pretty difficult to me.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.