Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Do you use a rangefinder and which type? >

Do you use a rangefinder and which type?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you use a rangefinder and which type?

Old 02-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Spike

Default Do you use a rangefinder and which type?

Do any of you use a laser or thumbwheel type rangefinder? If so, which type/brand and does it really help that much in hunting situations?
Old 02-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you use a rangefinder and which type?

I use the Bushnell sport and yes it comes in very handy when I am hunting.When in the stand I range everything I can so I know what distance i am going to be shooting.

Aussie by birth Texan by choice
Old 02-07-2003, 06:47 PM

Yes, I use a Bushnell Yardage Pro 500. I don't really use it that much while actually hunting, but when I set up a stand site I range several objects so I have a mental reference point to go by.

SHOOT STRAIGHT,SHOOT OFTEN&SHOOT A MATHEWS
Old 02-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

Coming into my second season using a Bushnell Yardage Pro 500,

Love it even if it can't read much under 20 yards.

Bowhunter
Old 02-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bushnell Scout, works very well. Like others I use it mostly when setting up, but have used it when hunting.

Old 02-07-2003, 08:19 PM

Bushnell Yard Pro 500-Won't leave home without it!
Old 02-07-2003, 08:20 PM

I have a Bushnell Yrd pro 600.My best friend has a Leica though, that kicks my yardage pro's butt!! It's about twice as fast on a reading and it has a red display,so in low light when you can't see #@^* on a Yrd Pro the Leica is crystal clear. I think it's waterproof too, my 600 is currently down due to getting wet!! Wonder what that's going to cost ??
Old 02-07-2003, 09:26 PM
Spike

What about the Nikon 400? I hear they are good.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Bushnell Scout, it works very well. I use it for setting up stands, and for stalking.

NRA,UBP,BASS Member
New Stanton,PA
Old 02-08-2003, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

I use a Nikon 400. Got it on Ebay for $205 plus shipping. It works great. I went for the Nikon instead of the Bushnell Scout because the Nikon was smaller (marginally) and cheaper AND it measures in half yard increments at ranges <100 yards.

The first time I got in a treestand with it was this last season during the rut in WV. I got settled in and shot several places I could shoot to check yardage. Then I tried to remember what they were. I was suddenly very confused because I couldnt remember if that little rock was 27yds or the forked branch on the ground was 27 yds. The technique I've adopted now is to sit in the stand, and evaluate my shooting lanes. Then I guess at the yardage before I shoot it with the RF. If my guess is within 2 yards of what the RF said I forget it and move on, if I guessed wrong then I give that area further study and figure out why I missjudged the yardage and remember what the correct yardage was.
I dont keep it in my hand or on my side when on stand because I dont plan on using it to range the deer I'm going to shoot I'll just wait till he's in one of the shooting lanes I've already evaluated.
It does have 8x magnification but it's a monocular so using it to glass ridges for long periods of time isnt a good idea. So far it has been durable and dependable. The most usefull thing I've done with it is to walk around guessing yardages and then zap them to check my accuracy. It has tightened up my range estimation at yardages >35yds.
I'd go with the Nikon again over the Scout if I had it to do over and dont waste your money on getting a camo finish on it, really are you going to show it to the deer?

Cargo

Quick Reply: Do you use a rangefinder and which type?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.