Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How Do I Respond to Anti-Hunting Comments >

How Do I Respond to Anti-Hunting Comments

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How Do I Respond to Anti-Hunting Comments

Old 02-08-2008, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Do I Respond to Anti-Hunting Comments

The key point in all this, I think, is you have to figure out why they are asking. If they are an anti, feel free to go with the "keeps me from killing people" response, LOL.

Some just have no exposure to it, aren't anti, just never been around it. I have a friend like this. He just can't see himself killing a deer, doesn't think he could do it and admits its the "Bambi syndrome", however he's the first in line for venison steak on the grill! He's got no problem with me shooting the meat he's eating, just doesn't think he could do it. I have no problem with this.

Then there's the middle ground person, doesn't think it's right, but really doesn't know why. Walk lightly here!

Then there's the anti, no matter what you say, you won't win, so feel free to let the one-liners fly!

Overall your answer was the best, quick, simple and move on.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

The woman was trying to "Push" her values on lknhuntress and make her feel bad. The anti wasa woman phD with many liberal values, you know the type. It happened at her workplace in a professional environment so there were many ears and eyes around too. The anti Bi*ch knew exactly what she was doing. Lknhuntress did well with what she had to work with.I think she is better prepared for the future.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pound sand is a good option.

You could point out that deer belching and farting contribute to the ominous problem of global warming and you're just trying to do your part.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I deal with non-hunter's all the time. I stay very polite and answer their questions as nicely as possible. This has caused many to allow their children to hunt/fish with my organization.

Anti-hunters, TRUE anti-hunters, I ignore.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:33 AM

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to admit that "yea, I did feel a little bad about it, the deer is a very beautiful animal, and killing it was an intense act, but at the end of the day I felt good about it because I took some nutritious meat, and I realize that hunting is necessary for the deer and for their habitat."

A short answer is usually best in response to a flip remark.

Here's another approach, or could be added to the previous remarks: "No, I didn't feel badly about it, I'm sure that I killed the deer more humanely than any natural death would have been."
Old 02-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

I deal with non-hunter's all the time. I stay very polite and answer their questions as nicely as possible. This has caused many to allow their children to hunt/fish with my organization.

Anti-hunters, TRUE anti-hunters, I ignore.

Exactly, don't stoop to their level of ignorance, in most cases you can use the opportunity to educate them...And as stated...be very polite...Even of they aren't...

As Patrick Swayze says...Be Nice!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

ahmen!!!

Why??? There's no need to explain yourself!!!!!!!!!!!! They don't like it thats THEIR problem!
[quote]ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Old 02-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

This was an interesting book, with quite a few ideas to counter an "anti":

Politically Incorrect guide to hunting. by Frank Miniter