Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 will this hurt my bow? >

will this hurt my bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

will this hurt my bow?

Old 02-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default will this hurt my bow?

Will shooting a 325 grain arrow at 70# hurt my bow, i know your not supposed to do 70 unless you use arrows that are 350 grain, but is this .25 less really a factor?
If theres even a slight chance this will hurt my bow i will not shoot them, way to much money put into it
Old 02-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: will this hurt my bow?

voids the warranty of most bows i believe......could be too light and cause damage....i just know you aint supposed to and when playing with big boy toys, i tend to do what im told, and not do what im told not to do....

kinda like when mom said "dont touch the stove" so you touched it and found out mom had a reason for telling you not to touch the stove....

just wouldnt do it personally....shot a 125gr tip instead of 100s or something like that if possible and you wanna use those arrows...
Old 02-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

Will shooting a 325 grain arrow at 70# hurt my bow, i know your not supposed to do 70 unless you use arrows that are 350 grain, but is this .25 less really a factor?
If theres even a slight chance this will hurt my bow i will not shoot them, way to much money put into it
Not real sure why you'd want to shoot an arrow that light in all honesty. Are you trying to get every FPS you can out of it??? What you gain in speed, you give up in noise and a touch of forgiveness. What kind of bow do you shoot??? I think with a shorter drawlength, you may be making things a little easier on the bow, but I'd not want to risk it on my limbs and cams on one of my bows. I shoot about a 415gr arrow, get moderate speeds out of it, and a nice combination of quiet. It's what I like, and works for me. I think you certainly would want to keep an eye on the limbs, and timing doing that though.

I suppose the other thing you could do is just drop the weight down around 65#, that way you are at IBO minimum, and see how that works for ya. You'd probably not loose much speed dropping that 5#, and you'd be a little safer on your limbs.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

5 grains per inch iswhats recomended I believe. I know guys that shoot less though and their bows seem to work fine. Personally I am close to 9 grains per inch.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:13 PM

Motown, it's 5 grains per POUND, not inch.....

Your bow is warranted to 5 grains per pound. Shooting lighter than that voids the warranty. If you turn the bow down to 65 pounds, you'll be at 5 gpp, and VERY close to the same speed. There is absolutely ZERO reason to shoot a 325 grain arrow on 70#'s......Turn it down, or find a heavier arrow. You are gaining absolutely NOTHING and doing harm to your equipment. What's to think about?
Old 02-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aside from voiding your warranty by shooting less than 5 grains per pound of draw weight the less and less your arrow weighs the closer you get to dryfiring your bow and theharder and harder it becomes on your bow.

The results of shooting ultralight arrowsare usually more limb failures and string replacements.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

I woulnt want to risk it
Old 02-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

the only reason i wanted to do this was because i have some 325 grain arrows from a friend who has the same draw length as me. But i agree its not worth the risk... i have the DXT btw
Old 02-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

ya i would say dont do it. I would be too scared the bow would explode in my hands after a couple arrowshaha
Old 02-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

5 grains per poundis most certainlyNOT a recommendation. It's the minimum arrow weight that's covered by warranty.

Quick Reply: will this hurt my bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.