Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting from a stool (turkey hunters)?? >

shooting from a stool (turkey hunters)??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting from a stool (turkey hunters)??

Old 02-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shooting from a stool (turkey hunters)??

you forgot to mention cramps setting in [8D]sounds like you were playing the game twister
ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Left knee down facing toward the target of just left, right leg to the right, foot on the ground, knee up with one ass cheek on the stool. (the right one).
Old 02-02-2008, 03:15 AM
Dominant Buck

If you practice all the shooting, it's a stronger base when your on one knee rather than two. It's great to practice it all because you never know what position the birds catch you in. Also practice out of the blind, I know alot of guys who have shot the blind itself! Not mentioning any names.

OK....that was me.

Seriously.....I practiced out of my tripod stool until I was blue in the face. Then.......bird comes in from my right....and stays there. I get out of my stool and raise the blind up(matrix widow) a bit more to get a shot off......and now I can't shoot from the stool. I shoot off one knee.

HOW DID I MISS A CHIP SHOT????

OK....I shot the blind. Let's regroup......

This debacle story ended really well (for me....not the bird).
Old 02-02-2008, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've done this dropping my Right Knee down and back, almost as if dropping to one knee, mostly to get it out of the way. I've shot a few deer from my knees, hunkered down in brush, or against a tree, but not turkeys, but it's the same concept. Shooting from a stool is a little different, but by dropping that knee down and out of the way, it gets me into position. I've practiced this way, because some of my set-ups I'd sit on a stool for deer hunting as well.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If you practice all the shooting, it's a stronger base when your on one knee rather than two. It's great to practice it all because you never know what position the birds catch you in. Also practice out of the blind, I know alot of guys who have shot the blind itself! Not mentioning any names.

OK....that was me.

Seriously.....I practiced out of my tripod stool until I was blue in the face. Then.......bird comes in from my right....and stays there. I get out of my stool and raise the blind up(matrix widow) a bit more to get a shot off......and now I can't shoot from the stool. I shoot off one knee.

HOW DID I MISS A CHIP SHOT????

OK....I shot the blind. Let's regroup......

This debacle story ended really well (for me....not the bird).
LOL Jeff, actually I forgot about that one, your not the only one and there were a few others I was thinking about.

It's great you shared that tho, it can happen to anyone, we all need to practice out of a blind. There are a pile of blinds out there with broadhead holes through them. I've watched it on TV too.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:18 AM

Hell I watched a guy on TV shoot his blind with a shot Gun
Old 02-02-2008, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

I, as well, put the left knee in the dirt. Feels more comfortable and for me I have more control.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've done this dropping my Right Knee down and back, almost as if dropping to one knee, mostly to get it out of the way. I've shot a few deer from my knees, hunkered down in brush, or against a tree, but not turkeys, but it's the same concept. Shooting from a stool is a little different, but by dropping that knee down and out of the way, it gets me into position.
This sounds like what I do as well. Drop my right knee down and back and keep my left knee 90 degrees to the target. Those little chairs are about the right height that my right knee is touchingthe ground.

I have yet to shoot a whole, or even put a nick, in a blind with a broadhead. BUT I've seen it done twice. Those gobbler guillitines got quite a spread that seem to reach out and grab things asthey leave a blind!
Old 02-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I set my chair in the back of the blind. All I do is lean forward onto my knees to shoot.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Just curious, do most of you when shooting from a stool/camp chair,in a blind, prefer to shoot with knees forward and shoot from your side like when standing, or point knees toward target and shoot with bow between the legs?? I have tried both and dont get much difference either way. how about you?? does it affect your shooting??
That wouldn't be good if you were caught with your pants down taking a #2 on your stool!! Its the 1st thing that came to mind Dan, I had to say it. (Stool=Toilet) If you would of just said chair It wouldn't of even crossed my mind. Just screwing with ya Dan!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get your mind out of the gutter schultzy [8D]sounds like alot of guys here are knee shooters, i cant get away with as much movement, i hunt out of natural ground blinds.
ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Just curious, do most of you when shooting from a stool/camp chair,in a blind, prefer to shoot with knees forward and shoot from your side like when standing, or point knees toward target and shoot with bow between the legs?? I have tried both and dont get much difference either way. how about you?? does it affect your shooting??
That wouldn't be good if you were caught with your pants down taking a #2 on your stool!! Its the 1st thing that came to mind Dan, I had to say it. (Stool=Toilet) If you would of just said chair It wouldn't of even crossed my mind. Just screwing with ya Dan!!!

Quick Reply: shooting from a stool (turkey hunters)??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.