Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Same guy....different bows...DL "Opinion" >

Same guy....different bows...DL "Opinion"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Same guy....different bows...DL "Opinion"

Old 02-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Same guy....different bows...DL "Opinion"

Here was the Ally at 29". I always thought I was overdrawn a "little".

Old 02-01-2008, 06:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Same guy....different bows...DL "Opinion"

Here's the 82nd....at 28.5. I know it's gonna feel awkward for a while.....but the guy at the last shop I was in lst night.....said he thought I might be too short.

I take everything like that with a grain of salt.....but I wanted "Opinions" on what you thought looked better.

(OK....I am a USC fan....and the same shirt was on purpose...)
Old 02-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff you'll hear way better opinions than mine through-out the day.. But to me, you look natural with the longer Draw length. It looks easy and comfortable. (now how long is that stabilizer ).
Old 02-01-2008, 06:14 AM
Dominant Buck

GR8...It FELT more "natural", too.

Stab. is 11.5".....quick disconnect puts me in the "neighborhood" of 12".
Old 02-01-2008, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

You look overdrawn in the first pic, but it also looks like you have more bend in your bow arm in that pic than the others. The last pic looks like you might be a tad bunched up, but then again its all about how it feels to you. For what its worth, it looks like your "T" is just a hair better in the last pic.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

What I think I see:

Not overdrawn. Just too much bend in the bow arm.

Too long.

Too short.

Switch releases. Use the wrist strap on the 82nd and stick with the thumb trigger on the Ally and you've got it made.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't have the Ally anymore, Arthur....

What if I just went to 29" on the 82nd and went with the thumb trigger?

I may try that.....and see. There's only 1/2" difference in DL between the two.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff:

I'd agree as well w/ Arthur. At least for target purposes, you do look a bit short now, but not on the back end. Your anchoring great, etc.........but that front arm has a LOT of bend in it now and most people would have a tough time supporting their form bone on bone like this. Now there are some great shooters out there that can, but the majority of people would have a tough time.

If you really feel like tearing things apart with your form right now, I'd try extending that forearm a bit, but keeping the string in the same position. You may be somewhere between the 28.5" and 29" mods as well, which you can accomodate by adding equal twists to both cables. When I was shooting binary cams still, I was usually able to tweak draw length by as much as 3/8" or so without swapping mods. This will affect your letoff though........it will increase your letoff if you add twists to those cables.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also Jeff, to give you some perspective of how sensitive DL is, if my loop length is off by even a 1/8"...........I'll see a noticable difference in scores. Sometimes as little as a 1/8" difference is going to make a world of difference in your holding pattern......and in helping you find that spot in your form where you can hold with no tension at all anywhere but your back. That's the spot you want it........not your shoulders, arms, etc......
Old 02-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Dominant Buck

and most people would have a tough time supporting their form bone on bone like this.
Thanks for checking in, Matt.

What do you mean by the above statement? I do know that I feel like I'm having to hold a LOT of the draw weight with the shorter DL. It doesn't fell "right". But I guess I may just not be used to it "right".

If you were me.....would you do what i suggested (going to 29" and using the Carter).....or would you try extending the bow arm, first?

Thanks to all for your opinions.

Extending my bow arm will change my anchor. That'll take a lot of getting used to I suppose.

Quick Reply: Same guy....different bows...DL "Opinion"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.