Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stupid, Stupid, Stupid(update page 6) >

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid(update page 6)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid(update page 6)

Old 02-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

ORIGINAL: gutshot

I have a "REALLY" hard time believing this guy actually "forgot" to buy his license. Sure I know that we've all made mistakes but I can promise you that one of my mistakes has never been forgetting to buy my license before I go hunting or fishing. You may forget them at home or in the truck but never completely forget to buy them. I'm saying that he knew what he was doing. Another thing that makes me wonder is why he all of a sudden remembered, after killing this monster, that he hadn't bought his license.
To enter in big buck contest, a buck needs to have a tag Anytime, any of us gets caught, it's always the first time[8D]
Old 02-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Ya know....he's REALLY guilty of just being a dumbass.

If he TRULY just forgot to buy the license....that's excuseable in my eyes...and he could have cooked the books and no one would have known any better.

Wonder what the outcry would have been if he'd shot a doe?
He would not have entered all the big buck contest. What he should have done is keep his mouth shut

He won the one at a pro shop I go to.
He won a New Bowtech setup from head to toe
LOL
Old 02-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Forgot to buy his license........I don't buy it. He is one of those guys that plans on saving a little money by not buying a permit/license if he doesn't shoot a deer. I am sure this happens more than we think.[:'(]
Old 02-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

He would not have entered all the big buck contest. What he should have done is keep his mouth shut

He won the one at a pro shop I go to.
He won a New Bowtech setup from head to toe
Think he should be stripped of that too?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Forgot to buy his license........I don't buy it. He is one of those guys that plans on saving a little money by not buying a permit/license if he doesn't shoot a deer. I am sure this happens more than we think.[:'(]
EXACTLY!!!

And for all the guys (yeah bring it on LOL) who don't think this is poaching think again. I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt and agree for sake of discussion that he honestly "forgot to buy a license". That's fine, we make mistakes all the time, myself first. Now... as soon as he registered the deer and took it home knowing it was not legit, HE BECAME A POACHER!!! Knowing something is wrong and still following through with it anyway is what a poacher does!

If you made an honest mistake and put something in your coat pocket at Walmart by accidentbut didn't realize it til you were walking out the sliding doors it's one thing. If you are caught on camera going out the sliding doors, pulling the item out of your pocket, realizing your mistake, looking left and right then continuing to your car, YOU HAVE JUST BECOME A THIEF!

Tell me, what is the difference between the hunter and the walmart guy? Nothing, they both had a chance to stop their honest mistake from turning into a crime but they didn't. There's the intent right there!
Old 02-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know bout the rest of you guys, but as a dedicated bowhunter, I can't wait to buy my license, send for antlerless etc. I am the guy in my group that reminds everybody else to get theirs in time to apply for doe licenses in time. If this guy is the type of hunter that can take this deer legally, then he should be the type of hunter that can't wait to buy his license and support the agencies that allow him to partake in this pastime that we all love so much.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:27 PM

I dont know but thats a big deer
Old 02-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I am not defending his actions in any way, but how many times have to put your hand in your pocket to see if you had something with out looking at it? Then you you go to use it, it wasn't what you thought it was. Maybe he checked to see if he had license and felt them there, went out hunting, found the buck, went to fill out his tag and discovered it wasn't the right on. Failure to plan correctly isn't considered poaching, just plain stupid!
Your analogy is not a good one. Forgetting to put something in your pocket for later use is just a mistake and maybe a little dumb.Forgetting to buy your license(yeh, sure he forgot) is a violation of the law. Being stupid isn't a violation. Breaking the law is.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

In NC....we have to purchase a license....AND we have to have our Big game report card.

Two separate pieces of paper.....but I'll show you how I almost was in his same boat.

Night beofre the opener.....2007. Our licenses run for one calendar year. I'd bought my '06 license in Oct.....so it was still good. I figure I've got a good month of hunting before I have to purchase a new license. Everything's legal.

BUT.....What I Didn't know is.....we HAVE to get a new report card. These expire on June 1, I think. So.....luckily Wal-Mart is open 24hrs....and I go ahead and buy a new tag and get my report card.

Accidents occur. I would have been guilty of ignorance if I'd taken a deer on the opener.....but it WOULD have been an honest mistake. I can see it happening.

Did it happen in this case? Can't say for sure either way. I can tell you this.....if I'd taken that deer I think I'd kept my mouth shut.....and I CERTAINLY wouldn't have entered it in a contest.

I think that the Big Game report card is stupid. I have seen a bunch of people not punch out the tag on the card, and since we do not have report centers, they can get away with it. WE need to go to the antler tagging system with metal bands, and if they do not have these bands, the taxidermist can not accept them. We also need check in stations. It would result in a lot less deer being poached, at least around my house it would.
Brent
Old 02-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

guys like that chap my ass