Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How popular is archery where you live? >

How popular is archery where you live?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How popular is archery where you live?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:22 AM

Default RE: How popular is archery where you live?

50 miles to the closest indoor range. Thats not good with the winters here. I really like to shoot, but its not much fun when its 0 to -20 deg. outside. I know a lot of people in my area who bow hunt, but I don't really see anyone out shooting until a couple weeks before season. I would shoot year round if I could.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bowhunting is very popular here. 3D is a hit and miss locally. There are indoor ranges that have some shoots, but it's a pretty good drive from here

Dan
Old 01-31-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

VERY popular. There is a larger archery community here than anywhere I've lived, and I've lived in a LOT of places.

Albany County is 300k+ residents and it's all a bowhunting only zone, I think this breeds a lot of the interest we have here. Locally within say 30 minutes, there are 10+ different indoor spots leagues in the winter time, and on any given weekend in the summer there are usually 2-3 different 3D shoots locally. We also have full FITA ranges, and field archery courses within 20 minutes of my house as well. The competition is pretty stacked as well.......locally we have a LOT of pro's that are competitive in many different venues including indoor (big), 3D, Field archery, FITA. At our local leagues we have guys like Jimmy Butts, Jim Despart, Doug Williams (just moved), John Vozzy, Cory Monahan, Chris Fletcher, Travis Boyd...........all guys withwins and many top 10 finishes in Pro classes in many venues.

Atlas, I still don't know where exactly in NY you are located, but I know you said you were local to the CJ facility......there is a LOT more participation out there than you may know. I have a lot of friends that I've met at different venues, etc that are from the western part of the state. There are some fine shooters out there as well.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Super big around me.

One Pro shoip is the Number 1 or 2 in the country for selling mathewsyears back.

3d every week
Indoor leagues at 8 different clubs

Old 01-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very Big!!!! The local range is great.Check it out.www.fullquiverandmore.com Click photo's
Old 01-31-2008, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where I am in Central Minnesota its pretty poor! Not much going on for leagues or 3-D anymore. I think there is one indoor league that goes on, there all compounders so it wouldn't work out for me much being I shoot traditional. Like TeeJay said, this is gun country!!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live in the suburbs of the Dallas/FW area. Mostly displaced urbanites from other states, so I wouldn't say it is real popular here. If you get a little further out from the city, it is more popular.

I hunt mostly in SA (South Arkansas) around where I grew up and I can say that itis prettypopular there, at least among my running buddies that I grew up with.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

its growing, thats for sure. seems alot of guys are "bow hunters" anymore in the area.

there are atleast....ahh 5+ archery clubs within 15-20mi...alot of the sportsmans clubs are starting weekend 3d shoots as well. summer we cant go a weekend without finding a 3d shoot to goto...usually we spend friday arguing over what shoot we want to goto because theres more than one...or we goto one saturday and one sunday...or 2 saturday...alot of guys filter through them...seems alot are like me and my buddies, just out there to have a good time and kill some foam...

some of the real archery clubs are getting more elaborate...last summer i got to shoot a couple mt lions from trees on a pulley system(safe hillside directly behind it..talk about a shot that throws most guys off...behind that thing looked like a bullet backstop all tore up lol..) and some built platforms off hillsides to make an elevated shooting position when your shooting down into the valley..as well as building towers to shoot from...pretty neat stuff and a nice touch IMO...

still have trouble getting some buddies to go...."ahhh bow season dont start till october! i dont shoot till august! but once they come once or twice they are hooked...we get so many together a couple times we had to shoot in 2 groups...but it took me fightin with most of them to get them to the first one..
Old 01-31-2008, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's pretty popular, at our club, we have roughly70 Traditional Archers and about 40 compound archers as members.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

there is a lot of interest around here.....leagues, 3D, etc etc

Quick Reply: How popular is archery where you live?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.