Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are the record books "tainted" now?? >

Are the record books "tainted" now??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are the record books "tainted" now??

Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are the record books "tainted" now??

I would be mad if a farm rasied deer took the top spot![:@]
Old 01-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

The main reason there are more big deer shot now is................................................ .................there are more deer now. Duh.

Having more deer also allows the current luxury of passing on small bucks because you can shoot a doe. For many years in Iowa there were no antlerless tags and only very few bucks only tags. If you passed on that small buck you were unlikely to get another opportunity to HUNT for years to come. Many hunters did not even SEE a deer while hunting in the 1950's. My father grew up on a farm in Southern Iowa and NEVER saw a deer on the old family place. I think that it would be unusual to not see deer every week there now.

I agree that most book deer in Iowa never go on the books. No one wants to screw up their honey hole with publicity.

Bob

Keep the high fenced deer off of the books. Do not buy products from people who use high fence hunting to promote those products. CWD would not even exist in many places were it not for farm raised deer. There could be other pathogens waiting out there, lets us not help them spread as has been done with CWD.

Sport is what you do when you are not keeping score.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: don128

I never had much faith in the record books for Whitetail. I don't register any of mine, nor do any of my friends in this area. The Olds barns and sheds in this part of the country have piles of racks just lying around that I'm positive would change the books considerably, prob true throughout the Midwest. I don't know how the books could be even close to accurate when the majority of hunters never enter their Bucks. States like Illinoise show high numbers of entry's because most hunters register. Most farmers in my area that shoot a 180" 10 point, or even a 200+ buck generally just throw it in the shed or ditch, with very little show or bragging. As for pen raised deer, I hope not many ever get snuck into the records. I know it sounds crazy, but I think there are many World record racks just laying around.
I have laid my hands on some contenders, and I film a handfull over 200" every year in my small area. I have alsokilled a buck over 200"So I wonder how the books could be accurate on locations.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awesom critters Don, Score of these bucks?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Thx GR8atta2d, 158, 171, 205, 168, 169, these are a few of my lucky days.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Robert L E

The main reason there are more big deer shot now is................................................ .................there are more deer now. Duh.

Having more deer also allows the current luxury of passing on small bucks because you can shoot a doe. For many years in Iowa there were no antlerless tags and only very few bucks only tags. If you passed on that small buck you were unlikely to get another opportunity to HUNT for years to come. Many hunters did not even SEE a deer while hunting in the 1950's. My father grew up on a farm in Southern Iowa and NEVER saw a deer on the old family place. I think that it would be unusual to not see deer every week there now.

I agree that most book deer in Iowa never go on the books. No one wants to screw up their honey hole with publicity.

Bob

Keep the high fenced deer off of the books. Do not buy products from people who use high fence hunting to promote those products. CWD would not even exist in many places were it not for farm raised deer. There could be other pathogens waiting out there, lets us not help them spread as has been done with CWD.

Sport is what you do when you are not keeping score.
More then you think go in the books from Iowa. I'm good friends with one of the P@Y measurer's and he measure's a ton of racks In Iowa that go in P@Y and B@C books. Look in the books, you will see allot of deer from Iowa.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Awesom critters Don, Score of these bucks?
Holy crap!! Them are some excellent bucks!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bow or gun? Awesome bucks either way!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great deer... Maybe not offically recorded
But they are not exactly thrown in thebarn lofteither

Old 01-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Also.........would you be pissed to see a genetically and nutritionally "farmed" deer take over the top spot in these books??
Good thread Atlas. As long as someone doesn't try to sneak in a non-fair chase buck(penned, farm raised, etc.) I have no problem. I also believe anyone who takes a minimum P&Y qualifying buck is still taking a quality animal. As some already have said, its still tough to take a mature buck in the wild.

Quick Reply: Are the record books "tainted" now??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.