Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How bad do you "need" to kill a turkey? >

How bad do you "need" to kill a turkey?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How bad do you "need" to kill a turkey?

Old 01-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default How bad do you "need" to kill a turkey?

The question was posed in here the other day about whether or not a deer hunter could go a season and not kill a deer ......and still feel like he had a successful season.

LOTS of people said the kill wasn't what the hunt was about......... Said they didn't need to kill a deer to enjoy the hunt.

No comment.

So.....I'll ask.....If you're a bowhunter.......and if the above is true (related to turkey hunting).....why would you EVER take a shotgun turkey hunting?

No wrong answer.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How bad do you "need" to kill a turkey?

I won't.

I take bowhunting turkeys more seriously then bowhunting whitetail.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I won't say that I "need" to kill a turkey, but I would "love" to get one this year, as it would be my first with a bow. I will use a shotgun some, because i have hunted them that way, and still love to tote a shotgun around in the woods as much as I love to carry the bow.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well im a recent convert from the Shot gun to the bow side of hunting birds, I found out taking my first bird with archery gear that the RUSH was imense, and like starting over again, I find in turkey hunting that i run myself ragid if i have to trying to score a bird. Ill be hard pressed to drag out the gun again. Dont get me wrong i totally loved gun hunting them but the new twist and style of hunting with archery means so much more to ME right. its the challenge for me!!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Well im a recent convert from the Shot gun to the bow side of hunting birds, I found out taking my first bird with archery gear that the RUSH was imense, and like starting over again, I find in turkey hunting that i run myself ragid if i have to trying to score a bird. Ill be hard pressed to drag out the gun again. Dont get me wrong i totally loved gun hunting them but the new twist and style of hunting with archery means so much more to ME right. its the challenge for me!!
Dan....this mirrors my outlook.

Like I said....NO WRONG ANSWERS. While thinking about this....."run and gun" turkey hunting is "better" suited for gun hunting w/o a blind. I know many enjoy this style (and many also do this with a bow!).

Just wondering what everyone's views are..........that is all.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ilove to hunt turkeys,but I employ very different tactics depending on which weapon I'm using. If I don't have a good sit and wait it out type of location, and the birds are dictating a run and gun style, and I've got an itchy trigger finger.........the mossberg goes with me [8D]. When they start getting hung up, and not committing andforcing me to move a lot, I'm bringing the gun. If I'm feeling patient and I know I've got active birds in an area that are likely to commit, and I feel I can wait out and ambush with a blind/decoy setup.......I'll bring the bow. Either way, I'm in the woods so I can't lose.

This year my hunting in PA will likely be mostly spent trying to get others on birds. I'll most likely bring the gun for this.I bet I'll have the bow out in NY though.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll take what ever weapon I feel like for that day. This spring I'm looking to leave the compound at home and take the Longbow and Shotgun. I don't like pop up blinds, run and gun, spot and stalk anything but a blind! I don't need to kill anything, there's more to it than that for me, thats the same reason it doesn't matter what weapon I hunt with, as long as I can hunt! I'm pretty open minded!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

I won't.

I take bowhunting turkeys more seriously then bowhunting whitetail.
Ditto ...
Old 01-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So.....I'll ask.....If you're a bowhunter.......and if the above is true (related to turkey hunting).....why would you EVER take a shotgun turkey hunting?

No wrong answer.
Uh......because I like to hunt Turkeyswith a shotgun? Don't get me wrong I like to bow hunt to get the game closer, but with turkey hunting they are usually within 35 yards anyway.

With the use of a ground blind what's the difference really?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Absolutely fair, Gus. I know you can hutn pheasants with a bow, too....lol....but I like shootin' 'em with a scatter gun!

Quick Reply: How bad do you "need" to kill a turkey?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.