Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The world of feathers... >

The world of feathers...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The world of feathers...

Old 01-27-2008, 07:42 PM

Default The world of feathers...

I'm strongly considering making the switch to feathers this year. Not because the Blazers have failed me, but purely for asthetic purposes.

I really don't care to hear "If it ain't broke..." But why should I not shoot them?

Why should I?

Which feathers are best? (Really looking to Greg / MO here, I knw you're a feather shooter.)

I'm honestly not looking for a debate here, so if we could avoid that guys, that'd be super.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The world of feathers...

1. Rain
2. Durable
3. because I demand it

I was never more happy to hunt in the rain this year and not worry about water proofing my arrow.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally shoot 4" left wing feathers. I love the clearance, the control, and the way they look. You can also shoot off half a feather and it'll still steer the arrow well. I havent had the problems with them getting wet and not flying well either.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

1. Rain
2. Durable
3. because I demand it

I was never more happy to hunt in the rain this year and not worry about water proofing my arrow.
I've heard the rain thing is pretty much a myth, Germ. Unless your arrows are absolutely drenched, and even then they're still shootable.

Am I wrong?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The shop I help out at is a big traditional shop. They all swear by Gateway. We sell some trueflight's as well, but everyone prefers the gateway. I may try some out in the future for my indoor arrows, only problem is that we only have right wings and my helical clamp is left...I've been too lazy to order a clamp or new feathers. I'll get around to it one of these days when I need to refletch my indoor arrows.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

1. Rain
2. Durable
3. because I demand it

I've heard the rain thing is pretty much a myth, Germ. Unless your arrows are absolutely drenched, and even then they're still shootable.

Am I wrong?
No, it all mental with me It gets in my head. Another reason is when they get messed up. I know they shoot the same, but it bugs me.

I have shot feathers for 22 years. This was my first year with blazers.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:00 PM

Switched back to feathers this year for hunting. I like the looks, forgiveness, stabilization, and I think I mentioned looks.

I've never had a problem shooting them wet.

I shoot gateway and love them, but I've heard that the Tru flite feathers have more consistent bases on them. Not sure though.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to shoot feathers way back when. They were more forgiving with springy rests and I shot feathers because I couldn't avoid fletching contact. They do steer the arrow well but they were noisier and didn't handlle wet weather very well. I'll stick to my Blazers now.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:34 PM

When I was shooting feathers, I shot Gateway. I can't say whether they're any better than trueflight, I didn't shoot those.

I highly suspect though, that one isn't any better than the other.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

1. Rain
2. Durable
3. because I demand it

Am I wrong?
I'm going to fletch some up with feathers too, like you said, for the looks more than anything. I will however have some fletched with Blazers,

And anyone can answer or have input here, am I assuming correctly and I'll play with this to know, there isn't any reason why my Blazers and feathers shouldn't group together. Have both in the quiver for the weather issues?

Quick Reply: The world of feathers...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.