Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 another turkey beginner question >

another turkey beginner question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

another turkey beginner question

Old 01-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default another turkey beginner question

Who makes the best calls and what types of calls are most effective? I am sure their are a broad range of answers depending on the circumstances but just a general answer would lead me in the right direction.Thanks for any help.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: another turkey beginner question

Primos makes some great calls but any call can and will call in a tom. Sometimes something as simple as scratching in the leaves will bring him in. The main thing to remember is not call too much. Practice with your calls and who nows what will happen. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

hs strut or primos calls will work just fine....get a variety because you never know what call a bird will lik from day to day
Old 01-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

any of the big brands are good. primos, knight and hale, quaker boy, ect.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:36 PM

Practicing with a slate call wouldbe a good start (I have a Primos)
Also trying out mouth calls would be a good idea too, because when that bird gets close your not gonna have a chance to put down a slate call and pick up your bow...

Mouth calls are a little more difficult, but thats nothing practice wont solve

The best thing to do is just try out a few different kinds and find out what your comfortable with...that will give you more confidence as that tom is makin a be line for ya!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

one of the easiest calls for the beginner is the push pull box call, real user friendly and you can even adapt it to fit on your stabilizer, the longer the better, and have the pull string to your finger on your bow hand.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:37 PM

I have found the box calls and slate calls to be the easiest calls to get a quality sound. For some reason, I can't seem to master the mouth call. There are several DVD's out there that can really help you in learning the sounds and when to use them.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

A decent slate call can give you all kinds of sounds when used the right way! You also can get different strikers and use the same slate that will sound totally different than another striker! I use a mouth call, box call and a slate call with a few different strikers and am good to go! I'll wear out the mouth calls so I re-up on those every year! I love pulling up to a red light and let her rip with the mouth call and watch people looking around, like what the hell???[8D]
Old 01-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

now thats worthy of red neck status [8D]can i get a hell yeah!!
ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

A decent slate call can give you all kinds of sounds when used the right way! You also can get different strikers and use the same slate that will sound totally different than another striker! I use a mouth call, box call and a slate call with a few different strikers and am good to go! I'll wear out the mouth calls so I re-up on those every year! I love pulling up to a red light and let her rip with the mouth call and watch people looking around, like what the hell???[8D]
Old 01-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

I would agree with most here that the friction calls (box, push button, slate) are the easiest to pick up and good at fast. i personally like a slate because you can have two slates, and five strikers and sound like 10 different hens. This is important because from day to day you never know which sound they are going to like and this gives you a lot of different options or even the ability to sound like a couple hens at once. Since you will need both hands for your bow it also might be a good idea to learn how to use a mouth call. I'll be the first to admit i'm not that great with the mouth call, but it is relatively easy to learn how to do a simple cluck on it and that is usually all you need to keep them coming once they start getting close. Also a simple cluck cluck and some scratched leaves can be the deadliest call you can make at times, especially when the birds have been pressured and have heard every tom, dick and jane back away on calls with loud yelps and aggressive cuts.

Quick Reply: another turkey beginner question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.