Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Carbon Riser Bows >

Carbon Riser Bows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Carbon Riser Bows

Old 01-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Carbon Riser Bows

Hey guys - just thinking about something... And this is pure conjecture from me, b/c I have ZERO experience with this - but why don't we see more carbon-riser bows? Or more carbon bow parts?

Before y'all get all bent out of shape - I'm NOT being a high country homer here - just using them as an example, b/c they're one of the onlycompanies who was really trying to run with it...

Think about it - carbon is superlight, I think it's cheap, I know it's strong...

In recent history, we have seen carbon-riser bows (so I know it's possible):

Win & Win makes this "Inno" carbon riser, and this is what they had to say about it:
The new Inno maximises straightness and minimises twisting.

Both elements are very important but especially, minimal twisting which is more important while shooting. When a riser is twisted the limb tips goes toward the direction of the twist at full draw. The average riser has .2mm to .3mm twisting, however the Innocarbon riser has less than .1mm.

HCA made this carbon-riser bow, the "SSR" a while back. It weighed 2 POUNDS. I actually shot this one - and it felt fine to me. Like any other one-cam.

They also made and sold a fair amount of this Carbon 4Runner.

Then, as late as this year, they tried to sell a bow called the Carbon Stiletto 380.

Now, it's been years since I shot the HCA SSR - so I can't remember much about it other than I liked it. But what's the deal? Why aren't more companies jumping on the carbon-riser bandwagon and trying to push the envelope?

Is it more cost-restrictive? Does it just vibrate too much? Are the manufacturing process too labor intensive? Brittle?

I mean, if you told me that you could suck 2 pounds out of my hunting bow, and it would still work the same way - I'd be all for it.

What about sights, restsand apertures? Is there something to be gained in that department?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:33 PM

Default RE: Carbon Riser Bows

I would imagine that price has something to do with it. Most companies are set-up for the aluminum risers and it would take a good amount of money to revamp their equipment towards carbon.

I do think that the idea for accessories is great, carbon sights and arrow rests would be great at cutting down extra weight while still being a tough product.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Certainly, I think the aluminum would be cheaper than the carbon. Also, you have to think you reach a weight point where the bow is too light to absorb much of the impact of the shot and then vibration and shock becomes more pronounced.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:53 PM

I don't know for sure, but what I do know is money motivates all business decisions. I don't know what cost would be involved w/ carbon risers, but look at all the money machining companies would lose from not machining aluminum risers. It would be astronomical I'm sure.

Maybe I'm just being synical. But the money is where the power is. Whatever the precise reason is, I would bet my paycheck money is behind it in one way or another.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree mobow. One thought: Maybe other companies have seen HCA's carbon riser offerings being met with not-so-much in the line of enthusiasm in the open market.

I know the first time I held one of those SSR bows - my first reaction was "You paid $600 for THAT?! What the hell is wrong with you? It looks like a tinkertoy."

But then Igot to shoot it and fool around with itand my opinion... umm... changed.

I figure - if the stuff is tough enough to build a high-end mountain bike frame and put a 300-pound man on it, and let him ride it down a rocky hill- it must be good.

Just someraw linkage for your viewing pleasure.
http://www.calfeedesign.com/GradesofCarbon.htm Discusses carbon grading - and is a nuts/bolts overview

Carbon-fiber use in aircraft
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1320/

Some neat passages

"The superior properties of carbon fiber to steel and other metals meant that the aerospace industry was an obvious market for composite materials, the use of lighter materials in aircraft construction allows for fuel savings or a greater payload, Carbon fibers are used extensively in both military and civil aircraft structures. As the technology of producing composites advanced, other fibers were developed to supply this market. "

"Carbon fibers are also unique in the range of properties that can be found, in this one generic type of material. As most carbon fiber manufactures are working in a state of constant development and improvement, the range of fibers now available to the structural engineer is always changing, look at the developments of the last 15 years:"

Old 01-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i shoot a high country carbon riser bow(triple s)...absoutely love it...its light weight shoots great... i have no complaints with mine
Old 01-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I watched a show on how carbon fiber stuff was made. LOTTA steps, even though they seemed automated. My bet is things are still a bit too cost prohibiting to do widespread. There is a new jet out or soon to come out that is something like 30,000 # lighter because it is made from carbon fiber instead of aluminum.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I had a carbon bow, my scent free fantasy would finally be complete!!
Old 01-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

HC actually made a carbon risered bow back several years ago. It had like a core with carbon fiber mesh laminated around it or similar. It seemedtolerances were very loose, andtherefore theywere a flop. I had one and ended up building my own creation with it using some Max Force limbs with Hatchet cams. Diamond before Bowtech bought them out came out with a machined carbon handled bow. I also owned one of those. I believe Diamond sold the rights/machining equipment, etc. to HC and they tried to make a go of it. I think it is a pretty expensive process and from my understanding the carbon which they use is also pricey. I owned a couple of the carbon risered HC's also. My take on them if you are doing a ton of walking in themountains they might be ok, but the jump upon the shot with all the ones I have owned you had better hang on, because honestly they will jump. It really makes since and is the same way with guns. I would just invest in a Sling

Like I said I owned several so I am speaking from experience. I guess in the end it depends on what you are looking for, and what you are used toas far as the recoil

Dan
Old 01-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah ive never shot any of the big 3..so i wouldnt know any difference bewteen them an my hc... all i know i dont do to bad with it.....

Quick Reply: Carbon Riser Bows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.